Chargers finally sign Bosa: Who blinked?

I agree Bosa needs to get in. I also think it's a bad move for the team to not concede on one of the points to match common practice rather than their own rules. Why start off on such a bad foot with what should be your shiny new toy? Irritating players and fans alike in the process over a very unlikely scenario AND coming off cheap on the bonus.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree Bosa needs to get in. I also think it's a bad move for the team to not concede on one of the points to match common practice rather than their own rules. Why start off on such a bad foot with what should be your shiny new toy? Irritating players and fans alike in the process over a very unlikely scenario AND coming off cheap on the bonus.

If the team is to be believed, then they did compromise on deferral of guaranteed money.

I was leaning slightly toward being in Bosa's corner on this one, simply because the team picked him, and not the other way around. Now, I'm swinging the other way, because they've reportedly offered him the cash flow that he wants.

Really, what this comes down to for me is that the entire freaking contract is guaranteed. The more I think about it, the more upset I get with a 21-year old kid (and his representation) for hurting himself and his team over issues that are incredibly unlikely to affect him long-term.

That's not to absolve the team in this; they have no excuse for dragging their feet on getting this done for as long as they have. It's been a very, very poor approach to negotiation, and they are responsible for making the discussions contentious. That they would take the step of putting out a statement to the media crying about it shows me that they still don't get it.

And that's where we are: stupidity all around on this one.

Nothing, however, rankles me more than when I see Bosa's college position coach telling me that he's "dying to play". No, he's not. If he's "dying to play", then he can put pen to paper on his fully guaranteed contract that will pay him millions before he's ever played a snap and get out there with his teammates. He doesn't want to do that (regardless of whether one feels he's right or wrong, that's undeniably the truth), so he's clearly not "dying to play".

Edited by thebandit27

I think we have one of the first TBD consensuses: Both sides are stupid. :thumbsup:

Chris Trapasso Retweeted Michael David Smith

This = why I think he signs. Fiasco all b/c he wont wait 2 mos after season to get last $2.55M of sign. bonus? Petty

Chris Trapasso added,

Michael David Smith @MichaelDavSmith
If Bosa enters the 2017 draft, he loses a year of salary, waits another year before free agency and probably won't go Top 3. He loses a LOT.

0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

More

If the team is to be believed, then they did compromise on deferral of guaranteed money.

I was leaning slightly toward being in Bosa's corner on this one, simply because the team picked him, and not the other way around. Now, I'm swinging the other way, because they've reportedly offered him the cash flow that he wants.

Really, what this comes down to for me is that the entire freaking contract is guaranteed. The more I think about it, the more upset I get with a 21-year old kid (and his representation) for hurting himself and his team over issues that are incredibly unlikely to affect him long-term.

That's not to absolve the team in this; they have no excuse for dragging their feet on getting this done for as long as they have. It's been a very, very poor approach to negotiation, and they are responsible for making the discussions contentious. That they would take the step of putting out a statement to the media crying about it shows me that they still don't get it.

And that's where we are: stupidity all around on this one.

Nothing, however, rankles me more than when I see Bosa's college position coach telling me that he's "dying to play". No, he's not. If he's "dying to play", then he can put pen to paper on his fully guaranteed contract that will pay him millions before he's ever played a snap and get out there with his teammates. He doesn't want to do that (regardless of whether one feels he's right or wrong, that's undeniably the truth), so he's clearly not "dying to play".

I'm in the "middle" as well.

I do think the team dragging this threw the media is ridiculous and Bosas camp does have some good points about that.

Bosa would be an idiot to hold out until next year's draft. If he signs this year, he'll be one year closer to his big money contract, if he's as good as he thinks he is.

at this point i think its more about principle of not wanting to deal with this front office, even if it costs him money long term. essentially a "show me you are the type of people id want to work for or ill take my services elsewhere"

but we will see. if the chargers refuse to ever go as high in the $$ as they were this week it wouldnt shock me if he pushed this real far.

at this point i think its more about principle of not wanting to deal with this front office, even if it costs him money long term. essentially a "show me you are the type of people id want to work for or ill take my services elsewhere"

but we will see. if the chargers refuse to ever go as high in the $$ as they were this week it wouldnt shock me if he pushed this real far.

Doing this "for the principle" is probably the dumbest thing I can think of. Given this started over whether he would be paid a couple Million this year, or a few months later... and now we're talking about him not caring if it costs him money long term.... sounds a lot like he is cutting off his nose to spite his face. The amount of money he will lose in the long run is substantially greater than the couple of million he would have still made but waited a few months for.

You're likely right, I just know I'd be more concerned about the principal because all of the money is guaranteed anyways as Bandit said. Seems trivial to me. Both sides look bad here.

Doing this "for the principle" is probably the dumbest thing I can think of. Given this started over whether he would be paid a couple Million this year, or a few months later... and now we're talking about him not caring if it costs him money long term.... sounds a lot like he is cutting off his nose to spite his face. The amount of money he will lose in the long run is substantially greater than the couple of million he would have still made but waited a few months for.

yea, but if hes well to do, and decided that in the grand scheme hes willing to give up some $$ in order to be employed by an organization he is comfortable with.... well, its not the spot i would draw the line but not everyone has the same equation with regards to what they value.

They can't trade him--that deadline has elapsed.

I never knew about that deadline before

Also, the deadline to trade him has passed – it was August 9. So whether he’s part of the roster or not, they’ll have his rights.
According to Pro Football Talk, if Bosa doesn’t sign before the Tuesday after Week 10, he can’t play in 2016. If he doesn’t sign at all in 2016, he’ll be eligible for the 2017 NFL Draft. Pretty crazy.

They would have to pay all of his guaranteed bonus money if they traded him, which means they'd have to pay upwards of $14M against the cap.

Not going to happen.

for arguments sake, you could structure it different ways to shift that... (roster bonus a week later vs signing bonus, or delay to an option bonus that would hit next year etc...) if the player was amiable to it i believe. anything they eat would essentially be the cost of buying another pick which would be an interesting discussion (if you could trade cash for picks -- what would be the price point for various levels)

but its still not going to happen.

From what I understand Bosa's side have proposed contracts that are totally consistent with other top-5 picks under the current CBA (i.e. they either get no offset language or 100% 1st year SB). The Chargers are arguing that they've never conceded either of those things to one of their rookies. But of course, they've never had a top-5 pick under this CBA before. So I think it's pretty clear that the Chargers are the ones being unreasonable here. If Bosa meets the Chargers half-way, he's signing an arbitrarily worse contract than any other 3rd overall pick has signed. The Chargers seem to have the leverage to get their way by force, but why should they want to? It makes them look cheap, and now this public smear campaign against their own player makes them look petty.

Edited by SoFFacet