Don't expect Rex or Whaley to be fired in the offseason

I see a lot of back and forth with Russ Brandon's role/influence with the Bills. The biggest problem I had with him was when the Bills had the announcement that Russ was the De Facto CEO and he went on about how the Bills name was "tarnished" and he would do a thorough and extensive search in hiring a new HC and would leave "no stone unturned," only to settle on the third coach they interviewed [Marrone]. The only positives that I saw from the Marrone tenure was that Marrone hired two good DC's, otherwise he was a terrible, micromanaging coach.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but John Clayton was on with S&B the other day and he said No playoffs = Rex being fired, period.

Of course, that's jut his opinion, and Clayton's ability to accurately gather info. and make accurate near term predictions regarding NFL happenings is not particularly good.

And yet from Day 1, Pegula said the then-current Sabre regime headed by Darcy would be judged ONLY on its time under Pegula's ownership, so the analogy is relevant, despite your insinuation to the contrary.

The Sabres were doing worse, even with the influx of capital provided by the Pegula's.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see a lot of back and forth with Russ Brandon's role/influence with the Bills. The biggest problem I had with him was when the Bills had the announcement that Russ was the De Facto CEO and he went on about how the Bills name was "tarnished" and he would do a thorough and extensive search in hiring a new HC and would leave "no stone unturned," only to settle on the third coach they interviewed [Marrone]. The only positives that I saw from the Marrone tenure was that Marrone hired two good DC's, otherwise he was a terrible, micromanaging coach

:thumbsup: ...I agree

I see a lot of back and forth with Russ Brandon's role/influence with the Bills. The biggest problem I had with him was when the Bills had the announcement that Russ was the De Facto CEO and he went on about how the Bills name was "tarnished" and he would do a thorough and extensive search in hiring a new HC and would leave "no stone unturned," only to settle on the third coach they interviewed [Marrone]. The only positives that I saw from the Marrone tenure was that Marrone hired two good DC's, otherwise he was a terrible, micromanaging coach.

and I'm not so sure it was Marrone hiring either of those men.

If anyone else recalls that both Russ Brandon and Doug Whaley flew to NYC to interview Mike Pettine for the DC job just after they had hired Marrone. Pettine had earlier turned down a contract extension offered by the Jets and it was noted he wanted to get out from under Rex Ryan's shadow as he wanted an actual DC job with more money. if I'm not mistaken it was Ryan who called the defensive plays and set up the defensive game plans for the Jets.

I'd be interested to see the age split on this board between anti-Rex posters and pro-Rex posters. Anti seems to be a bit older. I wonder how much of the hate is just his personality in general.

I'm 35, love rap music, & young girls. I should be in his demo but it's like a fat, unathletic dude telling how he would destroy Steph Curry in basketball.

There are few things worse in like that big mouths who can't back it up.

For those that think either Rex Ryan and/or Doug Whaley will be fired in the offseason if the Bills fail to make the playoffs, it's not going to happen. Both Kim Pegula and Russ Brandon stated on WGR550 that they believe in continuity and this is only year 2 in the Pegula/Whaley/Ryan era.

http://media.wgr550.com/a/116124419/07-28-bills-president-russ-brandon-on-the-john-murphy-show.htm?pageid=1114062

A 7-9 season would likely change that

A 7-9 season would likely change that

It would depend on the circumstances

Nobody hopes for a injury plagued year......but that would probably buy everyone a 3rd year.

But I really feel that they safeguarded against that as best they could where they could given their budget.....getting veteran players that have started on other teams

Being asked for your opinion doesn't mean they put much or any stock in it once they hear it.

Each time, Russ told the guy asking the question what he wanted to hear. There's no indication that those opinions changed anything or meant anything or carried any weight.

I personally am not convinced they take him even slightly seriously on the football side. I could be wrong. But there

And we've got an experienced guy in charge of the football side. Like him or hate him, Whaley has put in his time. I just want him held responsible for whatever happens, good or bad. To me the book's still out on him. He's made wonderful and terrible decisions. But if he doesn't put together a winning team, a good team, soon, I'd guess there'll be serious repercussions, and that the replacement might indeed be a senior NFL personnel guy, for good or bad.

And if these new owners or more importantly the team president put any kind of stock into this GM's opinion... the GM and not the owners would be making the decision on who to hire as HC. Just by taking that decision away from him leads me to wonder about how much power over everything else he has actually had.

If you read the article linked above Russ Brandon states that he wanted to learn everything there is to learn about being an NFL GM and yet didn't want that job, but had a loftier goal.

I don't think anyone besides Brandon and a few others actually know the full impact of what his job fully entails and when I read that a known inside the org insider declares him to be involved in the scouting, drafting player acquisition process it leads me to believe that he is and has been involved. To what extent we don't know and to me it honestly doesn't matter!!

However, what does matter and what so many just don't get is that even if the man only gave his nod of approval to everything everyone else wanted. He was still involved and what that means to me is his involvement kept a real NFL experienced knowledgeable man from making / helping with those football decisions. Does anyone else besides myself get that? If what he stated in that link is true then why not step aside to just the financial / business side and allow the new owners to hire that senior team football president / czar? This franchise has been like a rudderless ship over the last nine years in flowing with the prevailing current in terms of switching coaching staffs and schemes every few years while going around in circles.

I'd be interested to see the age split on this board between anti-Rex posters and pro-Rex posters. Anti seems to be a bit older. I wonder how much of the hate is just his personality in general.

Interesting. My guess is that you are right, the older crowd is probably less tolerant of Rex. I tend to think it comes mostly down to the fact that as one ages, he or she is less likely to be fooled by a blowhard who brings nothing to the table. We have been around longer and seen and heard lots of Rex Ryan type losers.

I must however give Rex kudos in that he has taken being a non-productive blowhard to the next level, and made quite a sum of money doing so.

Edited by Bill from NYC

And if these new owners or more importantly the team president put any kind of stock into this GM's opinion... the GM and not the owners would be making the decision on who to hire as HC. Just by taking that decision away from him leads me to wonder about how much power over everything else he has actually had.

If you read the article linked above Russ Brandon states that he wanted to learn everything there is to learn about being an NFL GM and yet didn't want that job, but had a loftier goal.

I don't think anyone besides Brandon and a few others actually know the full impact of what his job fully entails and when I read that a known inside the org insider declares him to be involved in the scouting, drafting player acquisition process it leads me to believe that he is and has been involved. To what extent we don't know and to me it honestly doesn't matter!!

However, what does matter and what so many just don't get is that even if the man only gave his nod of approval to everything everyone else wanted. He was still involved and what that means to me is his involvement kept a real NFL experienced knowledgeable man from making / helping with those football decisions. Does anyone else besides myself get that? If what he stated in that link is true then why not step aside to just the financial / business side and allow the new owners to hire that senior team football president / czar? This franchise has been like a rudderless ship over the last nine years in flowing with the prevailing current in terms of switching coaching staffs and schemes every few years while going around in circles.

I agree with you. It doesn't sit right that the combination of Terry, Kim and Russ were so involved with the head coaching hire when none of them seem qualified. They should either empower Whaley to run the show or bring in someone they actually believe in.

I say give them 2 more seasons including this one. if not 3.

Let them sink or swim. If it sinks, purge them all and get someone in to build a winning program from the top down. They theoretically would have some good draft positions and also the cap situation would probably be maneuverable.

I don't want any more of this outsourcing blame. I can see them jettisoning another coach or someone on the personnel/development side and heaping all the blame on him as if he was some sort of outside factor who just parachuted in from nowhere, getting in the way of winning. This franchise on the football side at least, has been broken from the top down for a generation.

Its really nice knowing that winning will come, someday. I was much more desperate when it appeared the clock was ticking on the Bills in Buffalo.

Edited by May Day 10

I agree with you. It doesn't sit right that the combination of Terry, Kim and Russ were so involved with the head coaching hire when none of them seem qualified. They should either empower Whaley to run the show or bring in someone they actually believe in.

Thanks! It's good to have at least one other person that gets it.