It's almost camp time...where is Matt Cassel?

Right, but just so we're all clear:

The original posit was: Bills fans thought Cassel should be our quarterback. They were wrong. They should admit it.

The response was: Overwhelming support for Cassel did NOT exist and therefore your posit is false.

That response is the very definition of a strawman.

I think you should click on FireChan's link, above. And the response was not that "overwhelming support for Cassel did not exist", it was that there was hardly any support for Cassel. There's a difference.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The original posit was: Bills fans thought Cassel should be our quarterback. They were wrong. They should admit it.

The response was: Overwhelming support for Cassel did NOT exist and therefore your posit is false.

Who are you and what have you done with The Big Cat?

Edited by FireChan

I think you should click on FireChan's link, above. And the response was not that "overwhelming support for Cassel did not exist", it was that there was hardly any support for Cassel. There's a difference.

I stopped following Let Me Google That For You links back in the 2005 when the joke first got old.

I also think it's disingenuous to say there was "hardly any" support for Cassel. That's not how I recall it, at all. There was not overwhelming support for any of the three QB's. EJ was poralizing, Cassel was literally called "Meh" and Tyrod was unknown, but there were most certainly people who believed Meh was the best of the bad crop we perceived.

I also think it's disingenuous to say there was "hardly any" support for Cassel. That's not how I recall it, at all. There was not overwhelming support for any of the three QB's. EJ was poralizing, Cassel was literally called "Meh" and Tyrod was unknown, but there were most certainly people who believed Meh was the best of the bad crop we perceived.

In a TSW poll taken after the third preseason game last year, Cassel tallied 3.61 percent of the vote for starting QB. I would call that "hardly any" support, wouldn't you?

Edited by mannc

In a TSW poll taken after the third preseason game last year, Cassel tallied 3.61 percent of the vote for starting QB. I would call that "hardly any" support, wouldn't you?

In all fairness it wasn't after the 3rd pre-season game that was being compared to... it was a year ago from now ie. the start of camp.

But let's not kid ourselves here. OC's post isn't really directed at TBD or the majority of people on here. It is directed, as a lot of his posts are, at the WGR hot take machines and one in particular. His personal nemesis who most of us know also posts on this board and most of us know who it is.

WGR embarrassed themselves last year with their coverage of the QB competition. Some of the analysis bordered on the absurd and I will never forget the "tea leaves" post-game show as long as I live. It was the most pathetic attempt at analysis I have ever heard or will ever hear.

I don't believe there was ever a groundswell of pro-Cassell on here. There were some who wanted him but there was a large group of ABCs among whose number I counted myself.

Edited by GunnerBill

None of the above is true. There were a tiny number of Cassel supporters here before camp started. There was no Cassel Crowd.

Look it up yourself if you are still struggling with this.

I recall that a TBN reporter was saying that Roman favored Cassel.

This was back when they really were piling on OBD. Nothing good could be done by the Bills.

Some folks thought it was probably true. which may or may not have been BS. I leaned towards BS, and The B News was over wound and feeling invincible as a group. And then the nationals were picking this crap up as gospel. sad times.

i cannot fault any one for thinking Cassel was going to be the guy no one knew who the heck Taylor was and EJM was throwing picks to tents.

In all fairness it wasn't after the 3rd pre-season game that was being compared to... it was a year ago from now ie. the start of camp.

But let's not kid ourselves here. OC's post isn't really directed at TBD or the majority of people on here. It is directed, as a lot of his posts are, at the WGR hot take machines and one in particular. His personal nemesis who most of us know also posts on this board and most of us know who it is.

WGR embarrassed themselves last year with their coverage of the QB competition. Some of the analysis bordered on the absurd and I will never forget the "tea leaves" post-game show as long as I live. It was the most pathetic attempt at analysis I have ever heard or will ever hear.

I don't believe there was ever a groundswell of pro-Cassell on here. There were some who wanted him but there was a large group of ABCs among whose number I counted myself.

Thank you wise and kind Gunner Bill.

Very nicely posted my friend !

I'd like to have the Titans as my second team. Why not add a second loser? No, seriously, our son lives there, I love the city and enjoyed the game there last year. We're looking to buy a place there with him. Great city. The backup QB is giving me issues. I'll have to get over that.

Only 12 months ago at this very time, we were being told that Matt Cassel was our starter. But wait! We cut him. Then we signed him. Then we traded him for a 2017 5th, to the Cowboys!

A 2017 5th -- I sense a running back with a substance abuse problem coming our way! It's the steal of the century ...

I'll never understand why posters like you insist on others admitting they are wrong.

What drives this impulse? And exactly what is it you think I'm wrong about?

I would call a poll what it is: a snap shot in time.

Unless you mean to suggest that at all times the support for Cassel was 3.61 percent, which I know to be false.

I would call a poll what it is: a snap shot in time.

Unless you mean to suggest that at all times the support for Cassel was 3.61 percent, which I know to be false.

Just like you "know' there was this Cassell "Crowd" before camp opened?

Just like you "know' there was this Cassell "Crowd" before camp opened?

Yep. TSW search from July 15, 2015 to August 30, 2015 indicated pretty much exactly how I remembered it:

He was thought of us the best of a bunch bad options. It was not that he was so adored, but that fans were so turned off by the other two that they were staunchly in his camp.

There's a difference between a 'Cassel lover' and someone who thought it didn't make sense to cut him.

I thought the Chiefs were stupid for getting Cassel, I thought the Vikings were stupid for getting Cassel, I thought the Bills were stupid for getting Cassel.

Yet once they got him I figured what is the sense in cutting him as long as you're not 100% sure what you have in Tyrod/EJ?

There were a LOT of debates about whether Cassel should ultimately be cut, or not. I think that may be why some are remembering a Camp Cassel and others are not. I actively said 'I think Cassel stinks but there's no point in cutting him.'

But of course we have to group people into 1 of 2 parties, we can't let them just have the opinion that they have. ;)

Edited by Aaron

Yep. TSW search from July 15, 2015 to August 30, 2015 indicated pretty much exactly how I remembered it:

He was thought of us the best of a bunch bad options. It was not that he was so adored, but that fans were so turned off by the other two that they were staunchly in his camp.

There were so few in that time frame, yet you must have missed this one:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/180079-do-you-trust-matt-cassel/

The unanimous response was "no".

Fans were not "staunchly" in Cassel's camp at this time last year. Just not true.