Ray Rice - desperate or noble?

I totally believe in forgiveness as well but he could be noble without playing football. So if we're just talking football - I think he should absolutely be able to play and it's sad that he'd have to give up his salary to do so. He shouldn't have to as you say - they and we have welcomed back much worse people.

This is kind of where I am. He's a wealthy man. If he wants to do good and champion organizations that work against DV, he can and should do so. He could become a public speaker against it. To say he'll donate his salary seems kind of like trying to bribe his way onto a team. Walk the walk first if you mean it.

I don't think it's going to work. I agree with others who said if he were still good as a RB he wouldn't still be looking for work. People look at the film of his last season and say "meh". If he's marginal, teams are going to stay away from the distraction, even if it's a "positive" distraction of making a DV donation.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a pretty slanderous assumption to make WEO.

Really? You think that's the first and last time he will lay a hand on her? As in, "we all occasionally lose our temper and knock out our lady friends and drag them out of an elevator"? What in those videos let you conclude this is unusual behavior for him? We only know about this episode..because there is a video of it.

He has been giving talks and admitting his error. trying to guide youth to not make the same mistakes. Not going to link, because i thought it as common knowledge by now.

I might assume you won't forgive his egregious error ?

That's just a cheap shot !!

Oh, just stop

It is for no one else (not me, you, the NFL, the public) to "forgive" him, but for his wife. It makes no sense to ask if "we" forgive his misdeeds, because it's too easy to do so and is completely irrelevant. I'm sure his PR firm pushed him in front of all sorts of youth groups to tell kids not to beat women--we all know the routine by now.

My points were 2: first, he has been free to donate any or all of his NFL earnings to this point to whatever charity he wishes--if he had done so, I would be far more impressed with this otherwise Hail Mary attempt to get back in the NFL. Second, none of this has anything to do with why he will not get back in the league: no team thinks he can play anymore. If they did, some team would be making the very grand public gesture of signing him and highlighting his genuine rehabilitation and generous offer to donate his salary. They would pay any number of anti-domestic violence advocates to step up and say how they personally have met with "Ray" and feel he is sincere in having turned his life around for the good of all women. Goodell would perp walk Rice to the podium and have him decked out in pink from head to toe. There would be kudos all around.

But none of this matters at all, because the guy can't run the ball anymore.

Really? You think that's the first and last time he will lay a hand on her? As in, "we all occasionally lose our temper and knock out our lady friends and drag them out of an elevator"? What in those videos let you conclude this is unusual behavior for him? We only know about this episode..because there is a video of it.

It is for no one else (not me, you, the NFL, the public) to "forgive" him, but for his wife. It makes no sense to ask if "we" forgive his misdeeds, because it's too easy to do so and is completely irrelevant. I'm sure his PR firm pushed him in front of all sorts of youth groups to tell kids not to beat women--we all know the routine by now.

My points were 2: first, he has been free to donate any or all of his NFL earnings to this point to whatever charity he wishes--if he had done so, I would be far more impressed with this otherwise Hail Mary attempt to get back in the NFL. Second, none of this has anything to do with why he will not get back in the league: no team thinks he can play anymore. If they did, some team would be making the very grand public gesture of signing him and highlighting his genuine rehabilitation and generous offer to donate his salary. They would pay any number of anti-domestic violence advocates to step up and say how they personally have met with "Ray" and feel he is sincere in having turned his life around for the good of all women. Goodell would perp walk Rice to the podium and have him decked out in pink from head to toe. There would be kudos all around.

But none of this matters at all, because the guy can't run the ball anymore.

We agree on the last sentence for sure.

and that is really all that matters in regard to Bills.

can he play Teams though ? ha !

As Rice says, if it was about talent, he'd get tryouts and then not get signed. He's only 29 but nobody looks at the guy because of the PR ramifications.

From USA Today:

A permanent indent at the top of Rice’s left quadriceps is evidence of what he says was the primary reason he averaged a career-low 3.1 yards on 214 carries in 2013: a Grade 3 muscle tear. Now healthy, Rice says his mind is clear and his body more explosive than ever – if only someone would give him a chance to show it.

“Put it like this: I don’t know when the years of ranking where I was a top-15 NFL player, but you don’t fall off that fast,” Rice says. “If I’m that bad, bring me in for a tryout. That’s the way to go about it. Bring me in for a tryout and then let the rest of the chips fall where they belong, because we know the simple fact that I can’t get a tryout – it’s a different deal.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/07/22/ray-rice-comeback-domestic-violence/87410486/?hootPostID=1afac7504c6914b4126f8825deea9e28

Edited by hondo in seattle

As Rice says, if it was about talent, he'd get tryouts and then not get signed. He's only 29 but nobody looks at the guy because of the PR ramifications.

From USA Today:

A permanent indent at the top of Rice’s left quadriceps is evidence of what he says was the primary reason he averaged a career-low 3.1 yards on 214 carries in 2013: a Grade 3 muscle tear. Now healthy, Rice says his mind is clear and his body more explosive than ever – if only someone would give him a chance to show it.

“Put it like this: I don’t know when the years of ranking where I was a top-15 NFL player, but you don’t fall off that fast,” Rice says. “If I’m that bad, bring me in for a tryout. That’s the way to go about it. Bring me in for a tryout and then let the rest of the chips fall where they belong, because we know the simple fact that I can’t get a tryout – it’s a different deal.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/07/22/ray-rice-comeback-domestic-violence/87410486/?hootPostID=1afac7504c6914b4126f8825deea9e28

Thanks for the link Hondo

Doesn't really matter what you or I think but making baseless accusations is just plan wrong.

Edited by Mike in Horseheads

From USA Today:

OK, I take back some of what I said.

“Ray has taken a number of positive steps, including meeting with domestic violence organizations and seeking ongoing and continuous counsel for he and his family,” Anna Isaacson, the NFL’s vice president of social responsibility, said in a statement. “He has demonstrated a desire over the last two years to share how his choices have impacted him so that others, particularly youth, may learn from it.”

When Rice visits college football teams, he tells his life story, including the lack of communication and failure to deal with issues leading up to an incident that, for many, put a face to domestic violence.

“The black-and-white elevator video – I don’t think any of us will get that out of our head. And he’s paying the price for that,” said Western Michigan University coach P.J. Fleck, who was among the first to invite Rice to speak. “But while he’s paying the price, we can use him to educate our players so we can be very preventative (with) our kids.”

If he is truly committed to continuing counseling, the chance that he will not be a repeat offender is better. Domestic violence programs are notorious for not working - but a large part of that is the high drop-out rate, in excess of 50%. If someone is committed to an ongoing program, the success rate is higher. Even more for couples counseling.

That said, I'm sure the overall success rate for DV (bad) is part of what's going on here.

The other part is Ray's dismal performance last time he played. Teams are willing to risk bad PR for what they see as a potential high-reward player. Teams aren't willing to risk bad PR for a guy they might otherwise kick the tires on (this was pointed out with Michael Sam - that he was at a skill level where other players get called in for tryouts when injuries strike - a bubble player - but who wants to bring in a media circus for a bubble guy no better and no worse than a dozen others when you can skip the circus and get something similar.

Still, if he has enough PR behind him and puts together a good audition tape for his agent to send out, I bet sooner or later someone will take a look, possibly after the first day of the season if the injury bug has bitten

From USA Today:

He's delusional. This just isn't true. Hardy got a tryout---and he's a greater menace than Rice. Vick came back.... from a 21 month stretch in prison!

Ray, not one team thinks you can play anymore. How can this not be more clear?? To anyone....

Only because he would not have been cut after a 2 game suspension.

That's fine. And if Baltimore cut him after that season, his agent would have sold another team on his services. I believe when he says injuries are why is had a bad season. But the video is why that was his last season.

Desperate. Period. I wonder what the difference would be in his pension even if he worked a year for "free". Just curious. I bet he'd like to play beyond that one year, but it's got to help him even without his "pay".

That's fine. And if Baltimore cut him after that season, his agent would have sold another team on his services. I believe when he says injuries are why is had a bad season. But the video is why that was his last season.

True, but it's not why no team wants him. They've all done the math, just like they did with Vick.