What is Gilmore actually worth to the Bills....

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will Gilmore be satisfied with that? It doesn't sound as if he will if the media reports are true, about wanting to be paid like the best.

Why not? Big fat signing bonus but the big salary cap hit doesn't have to hit until next year.

Darby was certainly a nice surprise. I don't see it but it not impossible that he could regress and have a bad year this year.

It makes sense to think he could pass Gilmore but it is far from a sure thing.

This is true. Some do have a "sophomore" slump. Could happen, but I am not seeing it. The whole secondary I think feed off of each other. I think they were communicating much better toward the end of last season. I'd really hate to see them broken up just when they started getting good as a unit. Regardless of whether you think Gilmore is top 10 or not, he is definitely a key piece in a very good secondary.

Will Gilmore be satisfied with that? It doesn't sound as if he will if the media reports are true, about wanting to be paid like the best.

Have you ever been involved in any way with any financial negotiation of any type?

For sure someone else will. I don't care about that logic though let them. You can't keep all your guys that are about to sign for top money deals at their position. Levitre and Byrd are good example to me of managing a team effectively. Personally I do see them letting Gilmore go. Not that I want to but if someone else will pay him 18 million doesn't mean we should.

Teams aren't lining up to overpay guards or centre fielders. I know what you're getting at but corners aren't plug and play like a lot of positions. They are cornerstone talents, the odds of finding one that'll reach Gilmore's level probably isn't all that high.

Schematically, Rex can do so much with 2 corners that are capable of shutting down one sideline. By the time Darby needs paying (provided that he keeps up the form he showed as a rookie), Gilmore should have the significant portion of his guaranteed money eaten up. Move him along when you have a younger stud to pay but, while you've got a starter on 2nd round rookie money, corner is a smart investment.

Teams aren't lining up to overpay guards or centre fielders. I know what you're getting at but corners aren't plug and play like a lot of positions. They are cornerstone talents, the odds of finding one that'll reach Gilmore's level probably isn't all that high.

Schematically, Rex can do so much with 2 corners that are capable of shutting down one sideline. By the time Darby needs paying (provided that he keeps up the form he showed as a rookie), Gilmore should have the significant portion of his guaranteed money eaten up. Move him along when you have a younger stud to pay but, while you've got a starter on 2nd round rookie money, corner is a smart investment.

I see we agree.

It often depends upon the schemes where the value lay.

In this particular case, i do feel that Gilmore has great deal of value to the Ryans Bills.

And that is why they will pay him. 15 mill seems so ridiculous to even write . But depending on how they detail the contract with guaranteed money, it may not be.

This truly is best left to Overdorf and Pegula.

The real and honest question is.

Do you folks want to keep Gilmore or try something else?

I think best thing for Bills is to keep him and watch him continue to improve over the next 3-5 years. Hope Ronald continues his trend, and See More give them both a push to improve.

Doesnt that sound awesome ?

:thumbsup:

I actually think the approach with Gilmore should be to use the space we have this year to pay as much as we can in year 1 (all guaranteed) of a 5 year deal.

That's a bad idea. Carryover rules mean there is no advantage to doing that. It's much better to maintain some cap flexibility.

I actually think the approach with Gilmore should be to use the space we have this year to pay as much as we can in year 1 (all guaranteed) of a 5 year deal.

So we replace Gilmore's 5th year option with a new deal and offer Tyrod an extension on the year he has left?

The Bills current top 51 + rookie pool gives us $6.5m in cap room so that gives us a lot of leeway to really pump money in Gilmore this year.

Why not? Big fat signing bonus but the big salary cap hit doesn't have to hit until next year.

This is true. Some do have a "sophomore" slump. Could happen, but I am not seeing it. The whole secondary I think feed off of each other. I think they were communicating much better toward the end of last season. I'd really hate to see them broken up just when they started getting good as a unit. Regardless of whether you think Gilmore is top 10 or not, he is definitely a key piece in a very good secondary.

I agree 100% we would be fortunet even with a 1st round pick to have someone match Gilmore's current level of play. I would just hate to bank on Darby and let him walk and then find that Darby does regress. But I guess we do have this year to make sure that won't happen. Although waiting until next year on Gilmore will most likely cost the Bills more.

So we replace Gilmore's 5th year option with a new deal and offer Tyrod an extension on the year he has left?

The Bills current top 51 + rookie pool gives us $6.5m in cap room so that gives us a lot of leeway to really pump money in Gilmore this year.

Does any of that money carry over if we don't spend it?