What hours do you work?

I am usually in by 7:15am & usually work to 4. I do work 2 days a week at home so that is ncie. I am in banking & this first job I have ever had in banking that I am hourly which is nice because I could put in overtime whenever I want. (I usually only do it a couple times a year) I don't have to punch a clock or anything like that, just fill out a timecard every other week & my boss approves it. Also my boss is super flexible, is rarely in the office & pretty much lets me come & go whenever I want so that is nice. Been working for him for 9 years now. I will miss him when he retires. He is 10 years older than me.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am usually in by 7:15am & usually work to 4. I do work 2 days a week at home so that is ncie. I am in banking & this first job I have ever had in banking that I am hourly which is nice because I could put in overtime whenever I want. (I usually only do it a couple times a year) I don't have to punch a clock or anything like that, just fill out a timecard every other week & my boss approves it. Also my boss is super flexible, is rarely in the office & pretty much lets me come & go whenever I want so that is nice. Been working for him for 9 years now. I will miss him when he retires. He is 10 years older than me.

Ah, banking.

So I work in an office and had typical hours. (8-4:30EST) Monday-Friday

I just agreed to a new shift of 6am-2:30PM still Monday-Friday

I did this because it will help avoid rush hour traffic.

What kind of hours do you all work?

CBF

No way I switch from those hours as I despise getting up early in the AM. I actually switched from 1st to second shift because after a yr and a half I didn't get used to it and just got exhausted from sleeping 4 hrs a night because I just couldn't fall asleep before midnight. But I can understand not wanting to deal with the traffic.

The beauty of a small area. I'm a mile or so from I86 and the Elmira exit is about a mile or so from my office. 15 minute commute, closer to 10 if I hit the lights getting on and off and want to get there sooner

I would take a earlier schedule similar to that quick. Less dickheads to deal with for the first few hours.

2 min commute, I could walk if I wanted but too much rif-raf out at 2:00 AM

11 pm to 7 am. 20 minutes to work. Stay over most days to communicate with the day leader or EHS. 1/2 hour to 1 hour almost every day.. starting next week all Safty reps will be starting at 10:30 PM. Work to 7. 1/2 hour OT every day . Last 5 years 20-40+ hours of OT any week you want it. Sept will make overtime go nuts again

that is some sweet OT, could use that right now as we just had a layoff with awhile before any OT comes back, thanks obama

Let us know how this goes. I have my doubts about whether you will end up taking these naps. But if you can pull it off, it will be a great schedule!

I work a swing, wife days... Each 40+ hours a week. Never needed day care, etc... 500 miles from the closest relative. No school bus either... Drive to and from school. Son heading to college this fall, daughter starting high school.

I don't how we did it, but we did... Actually, we know how we do it, but don't want to get all philosophical and preachy. People ask all the time. You see grandparents, family doing this that, moving in with them, etc... We are vastly independent & most important have two great jobs AND employers!

It can be done. I would be on midnights and still be able to pick my children up. It has always been us 4, working it out together.

Live conservatively, put the children & family first... Be flexible, don't regret and be selfish.

"Always Do Your Best:

Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse, and regret."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Since I'm not a morning person, always worked a swing shift, AND would gladly work weekends in exchange for week days off. I don't like to wait in lines, or rush hour traffic. I also, stay away from weekends, when everybody else is off, and in front of me in various lines.

That got me thru 35 years at United Airlines and and additional 12 at Richmond Airport, working for the Airport Commission, not an airline. By the time I started work all the "parades and dog & pony shoes" were pretty much over. Just retired last February.

Oh yeah, no overnight shifts either.

Ahh,retirement going the way of pensions, going to miss em.

Exactly! I coulda put in for promotion and be a 9-5 stiff, do everything when others do it, etc... No way... My new hours are sweet.

But,big butt:

I get in an hour after bosses leave and leave an hour before they come back... I don't see them for weeks on end! I love over-nights! The real mission gets done: keeping things and the economy moving!

Amen brother, the joys of 2nd shift !

Can't believe all you guys with 60 minute commutes.

I take public transportation and am door to door in under 30 minutes.

I won't do anything that would affect my commute; in fact, I have turned down other jobs that could almost double my salary because the commute would be too long.

I have a short commute now but have had a 60 min drive before and if I could double my salary I'd be gone in a heart beat.

Does being a mod count as work?

only if you get paid :D

As long as I complete my evaluations/reports, and show up to meetings, I work whatever hours I want. During slow times of the year I might not show up to work all week. During busy times of the year I will work from 7:30-4:00 in the schools, and then write 2-3 reports after the kids go to bed. Finally, I only work from the last week in August until the second week in June.

As long as I complete my evaluations/reports, and show up to meetings, I work whatever hours I want. During slow times of the year I might not show up to work all week. During busy times of the year I will work from 7:30-4:00 in the schools, and then write 2-3 reports after the kids go to bed. Finally, I only work from the last week in August until the second week in June.

Teacher!! :P

So no excuses for not coming to a 518 lunch

Ahh,retirement going the way of pensions, going to miss em.

Amen brother, the joys of 2nd shift !

My sister is a nurse and loves overnights too!

We work 24/7/365. You do the math... Too many chiefs & self-important managers out there who work M-F. The real work gets done during a greater % of time w/out those clowns around, or thinking they have to be around. Actually, in what I do, we simply don't need them. The place basically runs itself and as been for 50+ years 24/7/365. The gov't would save a ton of money having one management guy oversee a bunch of sites. Unfortunately, old habits, people want to feel self-important, like they are leading something or somebody. Mix in that it is gov't and that feeling of self-importance gets hopped up on 'roids. The needless overhead @ my work is mindboggling. In the end, I guess it really isn't that much over the last 1/2 century considering what even more grossly insane stuff they spend on... At least we are right side up and turning "a profit" for The Nation. Which means, service provided is greater than the cost out. So, I guess I really can't complain. Yet, they would still save $$$ & the wheels wouldn't remotely begin to come off.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Ewwww....no.

What other job has summers off? aha politician !

My sister is a nurse and loves overnights too!

We work 24/7/365. You do the math... Too many chiefs & self-important managers out there who work M-F. The real work gets done during a greater % of time w/out those clowns around, or thinking they have to be around. Actually, in what I do, we simply don't need them. The place basically runs itself and as been for 50+ years 24/7/365. The gov't would save a ton of money having one management guy oversee a bunch of sites. Unfortunately, old habits, people want to feel self-important, like they are leading something or somebody. Mix in that it is gov't and that feeling of self-importance gets hopped up on 'roids. The needless overhead @ my work is mindboggling. In the end, I guess it really isn't that much over the last 1/2 century considering what even more grossly insane stuff they spend on... At least we are right side up and turning "a profit" for The Nation. Which means, service provided is greater than the cost out. So, I guess I really can't complain. Yet, they would still save $$$ & the wheels wouldn't remotely begin to come off.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

you work post office?

What other job has summers off? aha politician !

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

you work post office?

LoL!!!!

Funny... When I was typing that, I thought of the PO! LoL

Locks and dams are sorta like PO... Run themselves. With computers now, no real need for a secretary, steno, manager, whatever... Their is maintenance and purchasing, scheduling, etc... Timekeeper. But even timekeeping some day will all be done by the employee and just varified by one manager. They already do it in other Corps Districts. Our's on the Illinois Waterway fights the changing culture away from needless/costly oversight. Still mired w/managers and even assistants!

Can go 2-3 days with out making a lift at GE. Then other days it's non stop

Exactly! We call those midnights "no hitters."

He he... Love me some no-hitters. Even better during a mild winter and no ice to clear!

LoL!!!!

Funny... When I was typing that, I thought of the PO! LoL

Locks and dams are sorta like PO... Run themselves. With computers now, no real need for a secretary, steno, manager, whatever... Their is maintenance and purchasing, scheduling, etc... Timekeeper. But even timekeeping some day will all be done by the employee and just varified by one manager. They already do it in other Corps Districts. Our's on the Illinois Waterway fights the changing culture away from needless/costly oversight. Still mired w/managers and even assistants!

I thought the Erie Canal was just for partying these days.