How the Ravens went from SB winner to afterthought

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trade the future for the past? Who wouldn't do that?

Is that a joke? Flacco will play this entire regular season at 31 years old. Taylor won't be able to play at a high level when he's 31. He's Michael Vick, except worse. Much worse. Flacco's style will allow him to play until he's 40, if he chooses to stay in shape. He's arm is better than any elite QB we've seen since John Elway. How long did Elway play for, after the years of abuse because he was a scrambler?

I'll take the future over the future, if the future has a ring (that he earned btw), two digit playoff wins!, and is entering he's prime.

Flacco, Eli, Palmer, and Rivers are all better than anything the Bills have had or have now. I'm not sold on Dalton nor Matt Ryan. You can argue all you want they overpaid for Flacco. But who would they have gotten to replace him.

We all hope TT continues to improve so the Bills are forced to pay him. That means the team is winning and going to the playoffs.

The Bills have been in salary cap jail without even an average QB.

You tell me whether you would rather have Newsome or Whaley?

Edited by Dragonborn10

If the Bills had shown any ability to development a QB, let alone any talent, over the past five years, I might stick with Taylor over an old Carson Palmer. But they haven't, so I would take an old QB who can play, right now, over a young QB who needs to progress.

All about a Super Bowl.

Then sign Joe Montana.

If the Bills had shown any ability to development a QB, let alone any talent, over the past five years, I might stick with Taylor over an old Carson Palmer. But they haven't, so I would take an old QB who can play, right now, over a young QB who needs to progress.

Even if the Bills had a history of developing QBs it wouldn't matter because nobody from those teams is still here.

Is that a joke? Flacco will play this entire regular season at 31 years old. Taylor won't be able to play at a high level when he's 31. He's Michael Vick, except worse. Much worse. Flacco's style will allow him to play until he's 40, if he chooses to stay in shape. He's arm is better than any elite QB we've seen since John Elway. How long did Elway play for, after the years of abuse because he was a scrambler?

I'll take the future over the future, if the future has a ring (that he earned btw), two digit playoff wins!, and is entering he's prime.

Not sure if you missed it but the Ravens suck now, even with Flacco.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Then sign Joe Montana.

Even if the Bills had a history of developing QBs it wouldn't matter because nobody from those teams is still here.

Sounds like you missed the IR list.

I am the first to accept that they had a lot of key injuries last year and they were still close in every game bar 1.

But as for the drafts... in the 6 drafts 2010-2015 (inclusive) the Ravens spent ELEVEN of their 18 picks in the first 3 rounds on defense. From that 11 only 4 are likely to line up in the starting team when the Bills visit on opening day and only 2 of those 11 are top end starters at their positions (Jimmy Smith and CJ Mosley).

Call that good drafting if you like but I call it bad and it had left them struggling for depth.

I linked the drafts and said 13' was bad, please let me know which other one you would consider bad. It's too early to judge 15' and we all know that.

The answer is simple - bad drafting. I made a post earlier in the offseason about how the great Ozzie Newsome has failed to rebuild the previously fearsome Ravens defense. They have spent so many 1st and 2nd rounders the last 5 or 6 years on defense and have had very few success stories among them.

Must be Ozzy is losing his touch.

Maybe he is drafting old school guys instead of lighter quicker pass coverage types

I linked the drafts and said 13' was bad, please let me know which other one you would consider bad. It's too early to judge 15' and we all know that.

Okay - 2010 was a disaster. The top 2 picks both defense are now out of football altogether.

2012 was not good except for the Tackle they just failed to pay who went to Oakland. Courtney Upshaw never truly established himself as an every down player in his 4 years and they let him walk - his production was less than what the Bills got from Nigel Bradham.

2014 - Mosely is one of the exceptions but who else in that draft am I supposed to be excited about? Jernigan is going to start this season (he has only been a rotational player his first two years) but he still has a lot to prove.

So for my mind if I give them a mulligan for 2015 as it is too early I make 2011 the only good class out of the remaining 5 and it has been particularly bad defensively despite dedicating a lot of resource to it.

Then sign Joe Montana.

Pretty funny hearing a bills fan saying the Ravens suck. Take the Tyrod fanboism down a notch and look at the big picture. 10 playoff wins > 0

Pretty funny hearing a bills fan saying the Ravens suck. Take the Tyrod fanboism down a notch and look at the big picture. 10 playoff wins > 0

I think it's funnier how some people jizz themselves over other average teams but can't see what the Bills are building.

I think it's funnier how some people jizz themselves over other average teams but can't see what the Bills are building.

Superbowls. Playoff wins. Face the facts and smell the coffee.

You have no legs to stand on.

What you call jizzing I call memory. Joe Cool is the man in Baltimore.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Paying average QB's stupid money is a good way to screw up your franchise.

It's actually the epitome of the salary cap conundrum. Very few QB are elite or average in a vacuum. The quality of the line play, the WR, and the running game all play into the quality of the QB's play. But in demanding and receiving an elite salary, the QB of necessity compromises the quality of the players around him. I do think part of it is coaching and scheme - somehow Belichek********* keeps Brady and his offense productive with a bunch of rookies and no-name OL, WRs, and RB.

Of course, the fact that the Patriots are somehow paying relative peanuts to two of the best players ever to play the game in Brady and Gronk has something to do with that.