Airlines not much different than amusement parks

You can pay to skip the line.

The practice of amusement parks of selling line passes is part of reason why I have stopped going to them. In one park I went we were told after we went in, after we paid, about the number of rides in "degraded" states with less cars, etc available due to maintenance but when we went to ride we found they did not reduce the number of passes allowed and at one time I saw the same group go on four times when waiting for a car to be available. I voted with my dollars and told park I would not return until they changed policy and posted it on website. I have not returned since.

Airlines do same thing allowing first class or in some cases anyone who just pays extra money to skip the lines.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-23/elite-travelers-skip-the-airport-security-line-for-a-price

Same Scrutiny

While these programs often use words like “expedited security,” none of them alter how the TSA conducts screening, according to the agency. People entering through shorter lines get the same level of scrutiny. All such arrangements are also subject to TSA airport security reviews, according to the agency.

“Buying your way to the front of the line -- that has nothing to do with the level of security,” former U.S. Senator Ben Nelson, a Nebraska Democrat who filed legislation in 2012 to prohibit the practice, said in an interview. “Why should you have other folks stand in longer lines for a federal government program, the TSA?”

You're damn right. My Priority status on Virgin America has been a godsend these past several weeks. :thumbsup:

TSA is funded by the airlines so makes sense the airlines can prioritize security just as they prioritize boarding and seating.

So just the other day you were asking about how to get Global Entry and now you're complaining about people skipping to the head of the line, which you want to do?

Sorry, but when I'm on my 30th business trip of the year, I should be able to skip ahead of the people taking their one trip a year to Florida.

So just the other day you were asking about how to get Global Entry and now you're complaining about people skipping to the head of the line, which you want to do?

Sorry, but when I'm on my 30th business trip of the year, I should be able to skip ahead of the people taking their one trip a year to Florida.

If you read the article you would see the difference between cut in line pass and something which you are pre-screened for.

If you read the article you would see the difference between cut in line pass and something which you are pre-screened for.

I do know the difference because I've used both. But the basic premise is the same, pay extra, skip to the faster line.

Amen...hate f'in amateur travelers who hold up everything.

Amen...hate f'in amateur travelers who hold up everything.

That is the worst.

Still, the only reason, to me, to worry about when you get to your seat is the "overhead compartment." The downside is that you sit while the rest of the plane loads. I like aisle seats so getting there early also gets me bashed umpteen times by people who can't get their luggage through the plane without smacking everyone as they go by or because their hips are so wide.

This entire conversation, because we all leave/arrive at the same time, boils down to "I'm better than you so I'm boarding first."

Look @ it this way... Health care following the modern amusement park model too?

In the old days you pay as you went. Got in the park free and bought the ticket you wanted for the ride. Not much "wow factor" because the park didn't pool all the money together to upgrade the tech, rides, etc... keep lines @ maximum capacity. Now with all that money, the game has changed and a lot of fancy stuff, coasters, etc... can be bought.

I used to feel the same way... That everybody should be standing in line equally, but look @ what we have. I just went to Cedar Point last week and the type of coasters are amazing... So much better than the pay as you go piece of crap "Comet" we would ride as a child @ Crystal Beach. Of course last weekend we spent the extra 95 bucks each and got the "Fast Lane." So much better and better bang for your buck AND they get to pool that money together and reinvest it into better rides for the park. They only sell so many "Fast Lanes" or things wouldn't work if everybody bought them.

Time is money... Am I gonna spend the 45 bucks and stand in line all day for 2 rides...?? Or spend the extra 95 and ride all day while that money is helping the park to grow and give better rides to the ones who chose to not spend extra but still get the thrill of enjoying a few of the fancy rides. @ least everybody is getting some kind of service.

Should health care be run like that? Or go back to the days of ticket and ride what crappy ride you want. Again, I once believed in that form of equality... But the new way is better, more progressive.

With airlines.. I am already vetted... Everything is already on my DoD CaC, fingerprints, the whole ball of wax on that smart chip and linked to TSA (another gov't agency, just like the one I work for)... Why wouldn't some breeze ahead. They can find me in two seconds, and all that and who is affiliated w/me?

Peace. SOME equality isn't really equality, I understand that now.

I do know the difference because I've used both. But the basic premise is the same, pay extra, skip to the faster line.

Yes. But then they still should have vetted you and put you into a centralized database w/ a whole bunch of extra information than the standard Snowbird.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

You're damn right. My Priority status on Virgin America has been a godsend these past several weeks. :thumbsup:

TSA is funded by the airlines so makes sense the airlines can prioritize security just as they prioritize boarding and seating.

TSA is funded by the PASSENGERS via ticket tax/surcharge, and by the taxpayers, but not the airlines.

I never said I wasn't.

Of course! I didn't mean to imply that you weren't. Sorry Jack.

Like I said... I used to have heartburn with these concepts until I finally decided to critically think it about it.

Really... Everybody should just buy out the amusement park fast passes, buy all the TSA Pre-check stuff, etc... Then lets see what happesn whenthe systems are maxed out the other way. They will be flush with cash and HAVE to give dynamite service(s), right? :pirate:

KD, you need to check this out.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2016/06/24/deal-year-jetblue-will-match-miles-account/

Is the money that people pay extra being poured into better funding security... ?? Then they should get priority. On the river, industry pays into the Inland Trust Fund (now $.29 a gallon on fuel they use)... That money goes into improving the system for all. They should get priority, it is their fuel they are burning if they are waiting around. Same with everything else.

How much is your time worth? Divide the cost @ an amusement park by the number of rides one gets on during the set time period. Why is this bad?

I arrived in an airport where TSA had closed the pre-check line because there weren't enough people there. (even though it was still 50people long). Imagine how angry the people who paid extra were about that change...

Also, you can't believe how many people will let someone cut who just mentions that they're late for their flight. It's like a magic phrase. I even saw a guy do it to get (behind me) on the Panda Express line.

Wow, I might need to rebook my late July flight. Right now I'm going out to BOS on Virgin and back on Jet Blue.

About to board in SF....got upgraded. :)

KD... I still picture you a CT Yankee in King Arthur's Court... I must have missed your move to CA. What brings you to the Land of Fruity Tooties? Providence? It is almost heavenly isn't it? Well that is what they want everybody to think. :D:D

I arrived in an airport where TSA had closed the pre-check line because there weren't enough people there. (even though it was still 50people long). Imagine how angry the people who paid extra were about that change...

Also, you can't believe how many people will let someone cut who just mentions that they're late for their flight. It's like a magic phrase. I even saw a guy do it to get (behind me) on the Panda Express line.

I have no sympathy for lack of planning... I am always way early to the airport. Hours early. I see idiots all the time just doing things right to the razor's edge... At work... Then bam, they get stuck behind petrol chem shipping for two hours and all hell breaks loose.

Many seem to believe that the world revolves around said individual. I work different hours now, you be amazed how many people just blow red lights. Well, maybe you won't. People are getting crazier and crazier!

KD... I still picture you a CT Yankee in King Arthur's Court... I must have missed your move to CA. What brings you to the Land of Fruity Tooties? Providence? It is almost heavenly isn't it? Well that is what they want everybody to think. :D:D

I'm still a Yankee at heart (for now) but have to admit, there's a certain zen commuting to work on a ferry rather than a Metro-North train -- among many other differences. Came out for the J.O.B. and to hopefully give our girls a little broader experience than that of our native Puritan lands.