Mo $ Mo $ Mo $ ???

I know that this has been covered in the past & probably will each time one of these HUGE contract issues comes up but another player doesn't feel wanted due to a multi MILLION $$ contract

offer.

Marcel & Muhammad have the same out look on what love looks like in the NFL !

Muhammad Wilkerson is now thinking the same as Marcel did when his contract talks were going on. He thinks that the team doesn't want him due to a MULTI MILLION $$ offer ! :blink::wacko:

Poor guy is only going to make $15.7 Million on a franchise tag :huh:

Remember when Marcel was in contract talks with the Bills ? After the Bills made a $90 MILLION offer, Marcel felt that the Bills didn't want him on the team any more at that time i was like

:blink::wacko: HUH ?

But then when they added Mo Money to the final contract weather it was guaranteed $$ or what he felt wanted ...

I thought at the time & still do just how much $$ equals a team wanting a player ?

My goodness i get that there is something called market value BUT DANG !!

Does it actually come down to market value, greed, or What ???

So now in Muhammad Wilkerson how much money equals being wanted on a team ???

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000669928/article/frustrated-wilkerson-i-dont-feel-like-jets-want-me

The CBA requires that teams invest a certain percentage of $ in players. What a player feels his "worth" is correlated to the resources that the team is willing to commit. If the Jets are only willing to guarantee Wilkerson $15.7M (which is where they are at this point) that is a much smaller commitment than like (and lesser) players are getting. See what Olivier Vernon got or what Fletcher Cox just got for a comparison. It's the same argument that has been made over in the Fitz thread. A player feels his worth is what the market has established as a value for a player of that caliber. There is some subjectivity in there for sure but ultimately Wilkerson will be a $100M guy with $50M guaranteed.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

The salary cap has been rising 7-10% per year. It's directly tied to total NFL revenue. Teams are REQUIRED to spend 97.5% of the salary cap. Fletcher Cox just signed a 6-year extension for $102.6 million with $36.3 million fully guaranteed. $63.3 million is guaranteed for injury. Can you blame Wilkerson for wanting a contract in lieu of the franchise tag at $15.7 million? At the end of the day, it comes down to the NFL being a business. The average lifespan of an NFL player's career is less than 3 years. Their goal is (and should be) to make as much money as possible as quickly as possible. Wilkerson is one of the best 3-4 DE's in football and in the prime of his career. He's more than due for a big payday.

The salary cap has been rising 7-10% per year. It's directly tied to total NFL revenue. Teams are REQUIRED to spend 97.5% of the salary cap. Fletcher Cox just signed a 6-year extension for $102.6 million with $36.3 million fully guaranteed. $63.3 million is guaranteed for injury. Can you blame Wilkerson for wanting a contract in lieu of the franchise tag at $15.7 million? At the end of the day, it comes down to the NFL being a business. The average lifespan of an NFL player's career is less than 3 years. Their goal is (and should be) to make as much money as possible as quickly as possible. Wilkerson is one of the best 3-4 DE's in football and in the prime of his career. He's more than due for a big payday.

Well said.....if any of us were players we would do and want the same

Spot on, good stuff Luxy

I don't blame Mo at all here. I'd be pissed off too. First of all he is a better player IMO than Gerald McCoy, Fletcher cox and maybe even Dareus who all got huge deals at that position. Plus he's coming off a broken leg and playing on a one year tag? He's been their best player and he's young. The jets look cheap here.

Edited by YoloinOhio

That's a meaningless statistic.

Wilkerson gets tagged because that's the agreement his union has with his team. It what he has implicitly agreed to as well. He may get his big payday at some point. But that's how this system works. He can't complain.

That's a meaningless statistic.

Wilkerson gets tagged because that's the agreement his union has with his team. It what he has implicitly agreed to as well. He may get his big payday at some point. But that's how this system works. He can't complain.

Wrong. He can and is. He hasn't signed his tender, which he doesn't have to do. That's party of the CBA that he agreed to as well.

Wrong. He can and is. He hasn't signed his tender, which he doesn't have to do. That's party of the CBA that he agreed to as well.

It would have been more accurate for me to say he shouldn't complain about a well-established system he has agreed to.

He can not sign and not play and not get paid if he chooses. He is being afforded all of his negotiated options, no different than any other player.

It would have been more accurate for me to say he shouldn't complain about a well-established system he has agreed to.

He can not sign and not play and not get paid if he chooses. He is being afforded all of his negotiated options, no different than any other player.

He's not complaining about the system at all. He's operating within the parameters of it. He can hold out until Week 10 and then sign it and get full credit for the season if he wants to. He would make $6.9m as a pro-rata salary, but that's an option afforded by the parameters of the CBA. Any of us fans that selectively suggest that he should just "shut up, sign and play" are simply ignoring the CBA. The Jets have options as well. They can elect to see what their defense looks like without their best player last season for the first 9 games of the season or maybe even the entire year. They can give him a new deal and move on. Many in the history of the NFL have held out in the last year of a contract that they've significantly outperformed. Most have gotten a deal done. Some have played under their tag and others have been traded. The Jets can give him a new deal, but will they? Time will tell.

I don't blame Mo at all here. I'd be pissed off too. First of all he is a better player IMO than Gerald McCoy, Fletcher cox and maybe even Dareus who all got huge deals at that position. Plus he's coming off a broken leg and playing on a one year tag? He's been their best player and he's young. The jets look cheap here.

The more turmoil on the Jets the better.

He's not complaining about the system at all. He's operating within the parameters of it. He can hold out until Week 10 and then sign it and get full credit for the season if he wants to. He would make $6.9m as a pro-rata salary, but that's an option afforded by the parameters of the CBA. Any of us fans that selectively suggest that he should just "shut up, sign and play" are simply ignoring the CBA. The Jets have options as well. They can elect to see what their defense looks like without their best player last season for the first 9 games of the season or maybe even the entire year. They can give him a new deal and move on. Many in the history of the NFL have held out in the last year of a contract that they've significantly outperformed. Most have gotten a deal done. Some have played under their tag and others have been traded. The Jets can give him a new deal, but will they? Time will tell.

Yeah he could show up week 10 and then in practice say he has Plantar Fascilitis which is very hard to diagnose without honest patient and hit it will not get better thru agent or anonymous source until he has long term contract. All legal but as unethical as Billicheat.

Yeah he could show up week 10 and then in practice say he has Plantar Fascilitis which is very hard to diagnose without honest patient and hit it will not get better thru agent or anonymous source until he has long term contract. All legal but as unethical as Billicheat.

AKA the Byrd Flu?

Absolutely! And they have NO money to pay the guy this year - without cutting a boatload of players. Schadenfreude for me, and you. :beer:

Not really, he is under the franchise tag. If they extend him it will open up more cap space. He is counting $15.7M against their cap now.