Ravens' LT Eugene Monroe Released after No Trade - Retired

I heard some inside info on that. Apparently Harbaugh (who I'm usually not a big fan of as a person) was strongly in favor of cutting ties with Rice immediately. Bisciotti and Newsome told him Rice was staying. The three showed a united face publicly (as they had to), but privately there was one dissenting voice.

In this case I have to think there's something that hasn't come to light - injury, looming suspension, undisclosed positive drug test. Something.

I'm sure that's how Harbaugh was spinning it after the second video came out. I'm not buying it a bit.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure that's how Harbaugh was spinning it after the second video came out. I'm not buying it a bit.

It didn't come from Harbaugh. The info came from someone I know who is a reasonably well connected guy who has worked in the scouting field and is currently a sport writer. (A different source than I've reference before on some things.) It was off the record and he had no reason to do Harbaugh any favors. He just passed along some interesting info he couldn't write about.

Edited by BarleyNY

@Rotoworld_FB

Report: Monroe unwilling to play right tackle.

I think we can safely put this to bed from a Bills perspective. Quite right too, never played RT before.

From the blurb:

"Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports free agent LT Eugene Monroe turned down an offer from the Giants to play right tackle and isn't willing to play the position.

Monroe is in "no rush" to sign now that OTAs and minicamps are over, leaving five weeks until training camps open. But the 29-year-old is adamant at staying on the left side. Cole mentions the Seahawks and Panthers as options for Monroe, specifically if Carolina wants to move Michael Oher to right tackle. After signing Oher to an extension Friday, we doubt that's the case. Monroe's best fit right now from a position and scheme standpoint would be Seattle"
Edited by Blokestradamus

I haven't really followed this but they are cutting him because he's an advocate for medical marijuana? That makes no sense to me. Has he ever failed a drug test? Sure there is money involved too but how do they know Ronnie Stanley is going to be any good right off the bat?

I've advocated for undocumented aliens and rational immigration reform. But I've never illegally crossed any borders myself.

It didn't come from Harbaugh. The info came from someone I know who is a reasonably well connected guy who has worked in the scouting field and is currently a sport writer. (A different source than I've reference before on some things.) It was off the record and he had no reason to do Harbaugh any favors. He just passed along some interesting info he couldn't write about.

Why wouldn't everyone else reported such after Rice was finally booted? After that resulting sh+tstorm, Harbaugh would prefer to forever be known as a guy who stood by a future wife beater?

That's a bit hard to imagine.

Why wouldn't everyone else reported such after Rice was finally booted? After that resulting sh+tstorm, Harbaugh would prefer to forever be known as a guy who stood by a future wife beater?

Believe it or not, there are things that happen and get talked about off the record. A well run organization's management will always show themselves to be united publicly. Writing a story with no on-the-record source that directly calls out the owner, GM and HC of an NFL team as liars isn't likely to do a wrriter's career much good. You think there aren't strong disagreements at the top of organizations all of the time? A decision gets made and everyone publicly supports it, regardless of how they feel. To do otherwise is career suicide. That's how the world works. In this instance there was also a big downplay of what Rice did until the full video went public. Then everybody pretended they didn't see the video and were suddenly outraged. It wasn't a matter of standing by a wife (fiancée) beater, it was a matter of an employee doing as he was told by his boss, offering a plausible story to the public and hoping everything would blow over. The full video going public blew up that plan.

@RapSheet

It's pretty rare for a starting caliber LT to be available in June. A now-healthy Eugene Monroe gives the #Ravens that luxury. A move coming

@RapSheet

Expectation is that #Ravens OT Eugene Monroe won't be on the team by the end of Thurs. Could even be traded or released by the end of today

Sign him

You realize Bisciotti pays Harbaugh's salary, right? That right there is enough for Harbaugh to toe the company line.

Believe it or not, there are things that happen and get talked about off the record. A well run organization's management will always show themselves to be united publicly. Writing a story with no on-the-record source that directly calls out the owner, GM and HC of an NFL team as liars isn't likely to do a wrriter's career much good. You think there aren't strong disagreements at the top of organizations all of the time? A decision gets made and everyone publicly supports it, regardless of how they feel. To do otherwise is career suicide. That's how the world works. In this instance there was also a big downplay of what Rice did until the full video went public. Then everybody pretended they didn't see the video and were suddenly outraged. It wasn't a matter of standing by a wife (fiancée) beater, it was a matter of an employee doing as he was told by his boss, offering a plausible story to the public and hoping everything would blow over. The full video going public blew up that plan.

Not exactly.

Here's what Newsome said a few days after the arrest:

"As a league, we have a conduct policy," Newsome said. "Being a member of the league, we will follow that A to Z. Up until we get to that point, he falls under the personal policy of the league. We will allow the league to take it's position before we have to take any."

Newsome said he's seen the Rice video online "just like everyone and it doesn't look good."

"I'm going to reserve all my comments until I have a chance to talk to Ray," Newsome said. "The whole video needs to be reviewed."

"In any of those situations, it's very concerning. But we get all the facts and will let the process run itself. We will let the facts determine what the consequence will be."

Here's what Harbaugh said around the same time (and after talking to Rice several times):
“I haven’t seen anything that would remotely make me think that (Rice won't be on the roster that season).”

Ray and I are real close,” Harbaugh said. “We have been for a long time, so it’s an easy conversation to have. I love Janay. She’s a great person.

“The two people obviously have a couple issues that they have to work through, and they’re both committed to doing that. That was the main takeaway for me from the conversation. They understand their own issues. They’re getting a lot of counseling and those kinds of things, so I think that’s really positive. That was the main takeaway.”

“There are a lot of facts and a process that has to be worked through in anything like this,” Harbaugh said. “There are a lot of question marks. But Ray’s character, you guys know his character, so you start with that.”

Soooo...one guy sees the video and says "it doesn't look good". He also is very careful ,with his words and wants to reserve comment.

The other sees the video and declares that he sees "nothing remotely" suggestive to him that Rice did anything to threaten his status on the team, that he's very close to Rice and he loves Janay.....

No offense to your buddy, but I'm calling BS on that "Harbaugh secretly wanted Rice gone stuff.

Not exactly.

Here's what Newsome said a few days after the arrest:

"As a league, we have a conduct policy," Newsome said. "Being a member of the league, we will follow that A to Z. Up until we get to that point, he falls under the personal policy of the league. We will allow the league to take it's position before we have to take any."

Newsome said he's seen the Rice video online "just like everyone and it doesn't look good."

"I'm going to reserve all my comments until I have a chance to talk to Ray," Newsome said. "The whole video needs to be reviewed."

"In any of those situations, it's very concerning. But we get all the facts and will let the process run itself. We will let the facts determine what the consequence will be."

Here's what Harbaugh said around the same time (and after talking to Rice several times):
“I haven’t seen anything that would remotely make me think that (Rice won't be on the roster that season).”

Ray and I are real close,” Harbaugh said. “We have been for a long time, so it’s an easy conversation to have. I love Janay. She’s a great person.

“The two people obviously have a couple issues that they have to work through, and they’re both committed to doing that. That was the main takeaway for me from the conversation. They understand their own issues. They’re getting a lot of counseling and those kinds of things, so I think that’s really positive. That was the main takeaway.”

“There are a lot of facts and a process that has to be worked through in anything like this,” Harbaugh said. “There are a lot of question marks. But Ray’s character, you guys know his character, so you start with that.”

Soooo...one guy sees the video and says "it doesn't look good". He also is very careful ,with his words and wants to reserve comment.

The other sees the video and declares that he sees "nothing remotely" suggestive to him that Rice did anything to threaten his status on the team, that he's very close to Rice and he loves Janay.....

No offense to your buddy, but I'm calling BS on that "Harbaugh secretly wanted Rice gone stuff.

FWIW, that's what word on the street was here in Baltimore.

As for Monroe, he's a couple steps above a Chris Williams, and that's about it. Just because he was a 1st-round draft pick doesn't mean he's any good. No one here wanted him back, and everyone wanted LT upgraded from him.

Okay, then you go ahead and wait for that. :thumbsup:

Not expecting it but until after last season there was plenty of talk about moving Cordy to RT, so doing so wouldn't be a big deal and it would fill a glaring need at RT.

Unless Eugene is injured or they don't feel he would hold up, it's Whaleys job to get the best line in here and Monroe and Glenn as bookends would do that. Some say on here that we ran fan with the guys we had last year but those fine running yds were over inflated with the running of TT who when scrambling isn't depending on good blockers but his athleticism to run the ball.

Most would agree that our right side is weak especially RT and upgrading that position would help us tremendously. It's hard to quantify how many wins one player brings but that could be said about any position except QB. What is most important is the collective whole and upgrading as many positions as possible can only help us win more games.

Our RT is a huge weakness and is why the FO is constantly bringing in guys off the scrapheap to try out for the position.

Monroe is not near Glenns level of play any more, thats if healthy even.

hello seattle

um. no.

Wouldn't you agree that Glenn and Monroe would make better a better Tackle combo than Glenn and what ever bum emerges?

Glenn is better than Monroe but pass rushers are coming from both sides so right and left aren't as important any more.

Also if Eugene sits for awhile he may reconsider playing on the right and then the whole point is moot anyway.

Bottom line is we need a better RT and EVERYBODY knows it, and if a guy like Monroe becomes available you take him and sort out the details latter.

Why Seattle?