Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

The player who has changed his game which has resulted in an improved rate of production is Kane. The going to the net started when he was placed on the Gionta and Larsson line. He went from being a feckless perimeter shooter to a tough hard nosed scorer around the net. He has always been a full effort player but it was wasted effort because his game was detached from the unit. It seems now that he is learning to play as a teammate instead of as a lone ranger. Kudos to him.

Too many people expected instant pudding after his return from six broken ribs.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Too many people expected instant pudding after his return from six broken ribs.

I'm sure his injury affected how he played. But the perimeter style of game I referred to has been prevalent in his play since he joined the team last year. He has always played hard on both defense and offense. But his game until recently lacked coherency with his linemates. The turn around became evident when he joined the Gionta line. Hopefully, he is learning that playing a more dirty/gritty game around the net is more productive than playing a fancy game around the edges.

Edited by JohnC

Nice game tonight. I didn't expect anything from that lineup. The Rangers came out flat and never recovered from getting totally outplayed in the first period (and most of the rest of the game). Before the game started I figured that if Lundqust started then the Sabres would have a chance. In reality though the Rangers defense left their goalie hanging out to dry on at least two goals (Bailey and Eichel).

It was the first time I saw them play in person this season. Eichel needs some polish. I don't know who's coaching him to hold the puck too long and to shoot from anywhere and everywhere. I don't mind that thinking for a talented 19 year old, but there's got to be a little more savvy in his game. If not then he needs a winger who can crash the net on every shift and mop up rebounds. He also needs to back check with more effectiveness.

Nilsson played a nice game. Grant's open ice hit on Vesey was clean and hard. Good game. I wish they could come out with that effort more often.

@BuffaloSabres

Bailey scores 1st @NHL goal as Sabres take down Rangers on the road. "A good team win." Recap 25b6.pnghttp://bufsabres.co/J7v6E4

C1TS9JfW8AQy0gf.jpg

http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/03/bailey-flooded-memories-scoring-first-nhl-goal-sabres/

The Sabres really need someone, whom they weren't expecting big contributions from, to step up, hopefully Baily can be that player.

Much better passing and puck management this game, although again they tried to get a little to perfect on the power plays and make one too many passes at times. But when it works, Sam to Jack, it's a thing of beauty...

Nice game tonight. I didn't expect anything from that lineup. The Rangers came out flat and never recovered from getting totally outplayed in the first period (and most of the rest of the game). Before the game started I figured that if Lundqust started then the Sabres would have a chance. In reality though the Rangers defense left their goalie hanging out to dry on at least two goals (Bailey and Eichel).

It was the first time I saw them play in person this season. Eichel needs some polish. I don't know who's coaching him to hold the puck too long and to shoot from anywhere and everywhere. I don't mind that thinking for a talented 19 year old, but there's got to be a little more savvy in his game. If not then he needs a winger who can crash the net on every shift and mop up rebounds. He also needs to back check with more effectiveness.

Nilsson played a nice game. Grant's open ice hit on Vesey was clean and hard. Good game. I wish they could come out with that effort more often.

Sports in general is so unpredictable. When I was watching this game I got a reverse sensation. The expected team to win played like the victorious team usually does, especially in their own building i.e. without energy.

I agree with your judgment on Eichel that he holds the puck too much. But much of the source of that issue has to do with the caliber of his linemates. Moulson is too slow when he is moving up the ice but he can play with him when they are in the offensive end.

I have a slight disagreement with you on the handling of Eichel. I think the worst approach to take with him is over coach him and be too restrictive with him. Forcing him to play within a strict system will squash his expansive talents instead of letting it grow with experience. This is a case where the disciplined oriented coach needs to loosen up and adjust to the player rather than force the player to comply with his stultifying system.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/03/bailey-flooded-memories-scoring-first-nhl-goal-sabres/

The Sabres really need someone, whom they weren't expecting big contributions from, to step up, hopefully Baily can be that player.

Much better passing and puck management this game, although again they tried to get a little to perfect on the power plays and make one too many passes at times. But when it works, Sam to Jack, it's a thing of beauty...

The key pass on that PP score was Moulson's quick pass from the inside to the outside to Sam and then back to the inside where Jack was. Bang, Bang and Bang!

The player who has changed his game which has resulted in an improved rate of production is Kane. The going to the net started when he was placed on the Gionta and Larsson line. He went from being a feckless perimeter shooter to a tough hard nosed scorer around the net. He has always been a full effort player but it was wasted effort because his game was detached from the unit. It seems now that he is learning to play as a teammate instead of as a lone ranger. Kudos to him.

I'd like to see a little bit more of him paired up with Bailey. There's some real energy in that combination.

I'd like to see a little bit more of him paired up with Bailey. There's some real energy in that combination.

The Sabres have players who have size, speed and energy in Carrier and Foligno. The problem is do these type of players have the ability to finish? In my view if you have players on the first two lines and they can't finish then they aren't suited to play on those scoring lines.

Your Bailey and Kane combo is appealing. Both have size, speed and scoring ability, especially Kane. Although I have been a critic of Kane's too often untamed style of play he has of late played with more discipline and intelligence. The Sabres don't have a surplus of scorers. Kane in the right situation and right frame of mind can score in the 30 plus range. The biggest challenge for the coach is to find the right fit for Kane. Is it better to have high quality passers on his line so he can be a beneficiary of those passes or is it better to have high energy muscle guys on his line so it will have a particular identity? That is the coaching challenge!

The Sabres have players who have size, speed and energy in Carrier and Foligno. The problem is do these type of players have the ability to finish? In my view if you have players on the first two lines and they can't finish then they aren't suited to play on those scoring lines.

Your Bailey and Kane combo is appealing. Both have size, speed and scoring ability, especially Kane. Although I have been a critic of Kane's too often untamed style of play he has of late played with more discipline and intelligence. The Sabres don't have a surplus of scorers. Kane in the right situation and right frame of mind can score in the 30 plus range. The biggest challenge for the coach is to find the right fit for Kane. Is it better to have high quality passers on his line so he can be a beneficiary of those passes or is it better to have high energy muscle guys on his line so it will have a particular identity? That is the coaching challenge!

You pretty much hit on what I was thinking about as I made my post and that is which center would fit best with them (Kane/Bailey). Right now it's that high quality passer in Reinhart. I'm really not sure who I'd like to see there, possibly O'Reilly when he is back. Whoever it is, Larsson has opened up a slot for Bailey to stick around long term. I hope he makes the best of it.

You pretty much hit on what I was thinking about as I made my post and that is which center would fit best with them (Kane/Bailey). Right now it's that high quality passer in Reinhart. I'm really not sure who I'd like to see there, possibly O'Reilly when he is back. Whoever it is, Larsson has opened up a slot for Bailey to stick around long term. I hope he makes the best of it.

The player in my view who turned around Kane's mind-set and game was Gionta. BG dug the puck out and scrapped when he was playing with Kane and then he would regularly feed him when he was at the net. I'm not suggesting that Kane should be playing on a line with the energetic but fading former star but what I am saying is that he was instrumental in altering his game.

Eichel is a free wheeling hold the puck type of player. Is Kane a good fit to play with him? Probably not. But what Eichel and Kane both mutually possess is speed that opens up the ice.

I'm leaning toward Kane playing with either Reinhart or O'Reilly or maybe both . O'Reilly is the digger and Reinhart is the consummate passer with great set up instincts. This team has most of the pieces for two good top two lines when it is healthy. Okposo, O'Reilly, Reinhart, Eichel and Kane plus some other candidates are the pieces that need to be properly assembled so that their individual talents are enhanced and manifested. That's where coaching comes in: tinkering and decisions.

Just think with the leftovers such as Bailey and Foligno and a solid center a good third line is ready to form.

Edited by JohnC

Holding the puck "too long" isn't necessarily a bad thing. Watch Patrick Kane, he does it like no one else. When you have a player with great vision and passing and/or shooting skills, all it takes is for one defenseman or the goalie to make a bad move and he'll pay for it.

Holding the puck "too long" isn't necessarily a bad thing. Watch Patrick Kane, he does it like no one else. When you have a player with great vision and passing and/or shooting skills, all it takes is for one defenseman or the goalie to make a bad move and he'll pay for it.

The difference with Patrick Kane holding the puck is that he has a number of high end talents who can finish when the pass is made. And it is widely acknowledged that PK right now is one of the best players in the league right. As talented as he is it still took time to refine his game, as it will for Boston Jack. As I stated in another post with respect to Eichel I think it is a mistake to over coach him and restrict his game. He is a smart kid, a hard working kid and receptive to coaching. As he gains experience his game will evolve and become more efficient and less free wheeling. The challenge for the coaching staff and organization is to surround him with the right mix of players that not only enhances his talents but also enhances the talents of the players he is playing with.

The difference with Patrick Kane holding the puck is that he has a number of high end talents who can finish when the pass is made. And it is widely acknowledged that PK right now is one of the best players in the league right. As talented as he is it still took time to refine his game, as it will for Boston Jack. As I stated in another post with respect to Eichel I think it is a mistake to over coach him and restrict his game. He is a smart kid, a hard working kid and receptive to coaching. As he gains experience his game will evolve and become more efficient and less free wheeling. The challenge for the coaching staff and organization is to surround him with the right mix of players that not only enhances his talents but also enhances the talents of the players he is playing with.

Of course, i was going to write he would be better with more talent surrounding him, but thought it was obvious. But it takes time for most coming into the league, plus the players around him have to learn his tendencies. My point is that holding the puck isn't a bad thing as other have stated in this thread.

I have a slight disagreement with you on the handling of Eichel. I think the worst approach to take with him is over coach him and be too restrictive with him. Forcing him to play within a strict system will squash his expansive talents instead of letting it grow with experience. This is a case where the disciplined oriented coach needs to loosen up and adjust to the player rather than force the player to comply with his stultifying system.

I do understand what you're saying, but there's a line between letting him freewheel and having him fit into a structured style of play. It is a fine line to be sure and I see both sides of the thinking. Hockey doesn't lend itself to having one player exist outside of the general scheme. It is difficult to have everyone play one way -- except the special talent.

I also get it that he's a 19-year-old and he is damn good. Good enough to allow him some leeway. But he's got to back check and he's got to play smarter in the offensive zone and if nobody is reminding him of these things then he may still need refinement when he's coming off his rookie contract and the debates will begin.

How do they go about adding more talent around him? At this point, they're one skater away from a legit top 6. They can't sit back and hope that Nylander winds up being that guy. He's too far away. They're at a point where they probably need to be adding blue liners instead of forwards in the offseason. But at the same time, there's no one in the organization at this moment who is ready to be that guy. Short of a sudden emergence of a guy like Bailey or Baptiste, I have no idea where forward #6 is going to come from.

Of course, i was going to write he would be better with more talent surrounding him, but thought it was obvious. But it takes time for most coming into the league, plus the players around him have to learn his tendencies. My point is that holding the puck isn't a bad thing as other have stated in this thread.

Maybe I'm one of them. It isn't holding the puck that's the issue. It is what he does with it after he decides to let it go. He usually isn't dispossessed often, so you will see him pass or shoot. He seems to like to shoot high and so if he misses there's little opportunity to gather a rebound. He seems to need better vision when he's carrying through the neutral zone, which makes him need to hold the puck longer. His passing when the play is established in the offensive zone is great.

Can we talk about Brad May for a minute? I have nothing against the guy but every time he tries to analyze or speak about anything it seems as if he is just winging it. It always seems as if he is rambling and doesn't even know the point he is trying to make. He's like the Michael Scott of hockey analysts. Brian Duff is good though and half the time he seems bewildered at what May is saying.

Can we talk about Brad May for a minute? I have nothing against the guy but every time he tries to analyze or speak about anything it seems as if he is just winging it. It always seems as if he is rambling and doesn't even know the point he is trying to make. He's like the Michael Scott of hockey analysts. Brian Duff is good though and half the time he seems bewildered at what May is saying.

I like May...and am always amazed at the size of his hands and much it had to hurt if got a shot in with those paws.

BTW, i am of the belief the Sabres are cooked, and should be looking at trade options.

How bout this from 30 thoughts yesterday

think the Blackhawks have an itchy trigger finger. They are looking for someone to play with Jonathan Toews, especially as Marian Hossa battles injury.

Kane anyone? Blackhawks are going to be in tight cap situation and don't know how they would fit Kane in... so looks like it ould have to be money for money....but his value has to be as high as it has been since the Sabres acquired him

Edited by plenzmd1