So Finland was invaded last week

Just Jack

Why would anyone invade Finland?

It happens with surprising frequency.

I'm mildly surprised the locals didn't grab their rifles, head to the woods, and start taking potshots at the "invaders" in this case. That's what usually happens when someone invades Finland.

Why would anyone invade Finland?

It happens with surprising frequency.

I'm mildly surprised the locals didn't grab their rifles, head to the woods, and start taking potshots at the "invaders" in this case. That's what usually happens when someone invades Finland.

Obviously history is not his strength on Jeopardy. Finland was quite the pawn in war between Swedes and Czarist Russia.

That site describes "motti" tactics incorrectly. It wasn't "let them cross the border and attack them from behind." It was let them get strung out on the roads, then attack the weakest spots from the flanks to block the road, split the invading Russian column into pieces, and eliminate the possibility of mutual support, thereby allowing the piecemeal destruction of the column. A "motti" is a pile of firewood. "Motti" tactics are, therefore, basically "chop them up like firewood." The Finns are no joke.

(Note: The Finns also invented - and named - the Molotov cocktail.)

Obviously history is not his strength on Jeopardy. Finland was quite the pawn in war between Swedes and Czarist Russia.

Not to argue but... The point was it is a boring country so why the hell invade it? I suppose to your point, along with Tom's, it has a strategic value given that it is not known as a fierce warrior nation so it can be overtaken on the way to more important jewels.

Not to argue but... The point was it is a boring country so why the hell invade it? I suppose to your point, along with Tom's, it has a strategic value given that it is not known as a fierce warrior nation so it can be overtaken on the way to more important jewels.

It is known as a fierce warrior nation. "O Lord, save us from the terrible Finns" wasn't a prayer in the Germanic states for nothing...

It is known as a fierce warrior nation. "O Lord, save us from the terrible Finns" wasn't a prayer in the Germanic states for nothing...

The Finns used to beat 10 times there numbers in fights and only were beaten when they were overwhelmed by numbers or opponents resources.