The Johnson Thread

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CNN is giving Johnson/Weld an hour long town hall tonite.

Media must be sweating Hiliary's numbers to give the Libertarians a platform to siphon Republican/Independents that weren't gonna vote for her anyway

I can't believe it took Weld a whole 9 minutes to use the "pocketbooks and bedrooms" line.

• 1 month later...

Johnson/Weld are at 11-13% in CNN, NBC, and CBS polling.

At 15%, they get to the debate stage, and that's also going to be the breaking point for the media to start covering them.

I'm not sure they can do it but their ideas are more grown up than Trump's and their characters less questionable than Clinton's.

If there's going to be a Libertarian president, this is a better chance than others.

Johnson/Weld are at 11-13% in CNN, NBC, and CBS polling.

At 15%, they get to the debate stage, and that's also going to be the breaking point for the media to start covering them.

I'm not sure they can do it but their ideas are more grown up than Trump's and their characters less questionable than Clinton's.

If there's going to be a Libertarian president, this is a better chance than others.

He needs to be down in Philadelphia shaking hands and kissing babies, especially with all of the DNC vs Bernie stuff, and the scores of Bernie supporters that will be causing trouble there. Stein probably will be. I'm not sure Johnson will, although he was in Cleveland for most of last week.

He needs to be down in Philadelphia shaking hands and kissing babies, especially with all of the DNC vs Bernie stuff, and the scores of Bernie supporters that will be causing trouble there. Stein probably will be. I'm not sure Johnson will, although he was in Cleveland for most of last week.

He's less likely to win the disenfranchised Sanders people but I agree: He should be there. He needs to get media time and that will spike his numbers, at least until the unfavorable stories come.

He should be able to garner support from Independents and Repubs with brains. Not sure he can draw much on the left.

From Wiki

Immigration[edit]

Johnson believes two approaches to immigration should be implemented: (1) "simplify legal immigration" and (2) "tackle illegal immigration."[51] He says, "Immigration into the United States by ambitious, willing workers and their families is a good thing. Not only is it a historical and energizing part of American culture and experience, it is vital to our economy. These positive benefits should not be sacrificed or reduced in any solution to stop illegal immigration."[52]

Johnson favors issuing work visas, rather than granting amnesty citizenship or permanent residency, to people who want to work in the United States so that they pay payroll and income taxes,[7] and favors a two-year grace period to current illegal immigrants to obtain these visas.[51] He would require background checks of visa applicants,[51] because federal "authorities do need to know who is crossing our borders and be able to prevent criminals from entering the country."[52] He believes that, once a worker obtains a visa, the worker "should have access to the normal procedures for gaining permanent status and citizenship, and should be able to bring their families to the U.S. after demonstrating ability to support them financially."[51] Johnson does not support immigration quotas.[7]

Under the present system, Johnson does not support "cracking down" on illegal immigration or creating penalties for businesses that hire undocumented immigrants.[7] Instead, he believes the work visa program will reduce illegal immigration.[51] But once the program is implemented, he believes in enforcing "a 'one strike, you're out' rule for immigrants who circumvent the" work visa process,[51] as well as imposing and enforcing "sanctions on employers for noncompliance with immigration laws.[51]

Johnson opposes building a fence or wall along the Mexican border or placing National Guard units there,[7] because "security measures along the borders are just not enough" and "do not completely solve the immigration problem."[52] He believes that much of the Mexican-American border problems are due to drug prohibition, and that ending the prohibition of marijuana and the War on Drugs would end 75% of the violence along the border.[7][46][51]

Johnson opposed Arizona SB 1070, and says he would have vetoed it were he the governor, though he understands and supports the spirit behind it. He says that the bill was devastating to drawing business to Arizona and believes the bill will create racial discrimination.[7]

Gun rights[edit]

Johnson does not believe in limiting the types or sizes of guns that private citizens can own. He believes the Second Amendment is "clear," and establishes an individual right for citizens.[7]

Johnson has stated he is open for debate on the subject of gun control and is open to a discussion on preventing those the government deems mentally ill from possessing weapons.[39]

If we're going to legalize weed, the open borders will help lower the price.

Actually, the lowered risk from legalization and the fact that it will be passing through fewer hands due to the possibility of local production will help lower prices.

It's awesome that following the schitshows that gave us Trump and Clinton, the media stories this week are about how you can't waste a vote on a third party and how third parties can't govern.

That's rich.

At least it's finally some press for Johnson. Keep it coming media. Bad press has been working wonders for Trump so far.

Libertarian Gary Johnson: "Religious freedom, as a category" is "a black hole" http://washex.am/2aliPaj

Funny, that's where my chance of voting for Johnson went, with this ridiculous BS

I made this point above: Johnson is the best candidate but he's a lightweight. Heavier than Trump (who isn't) but he doesn't have the mental engine.

And I'm voting for him!

Edited by Observer