Titans Release Zach Mettenberger; Claimed by the Chargers

Would rather have this guy over Cardale Jones, thats for dam sure.

Why did we draft a QB again?

Cardale is an interesting project at a very cheap price (pick and contract)

Mett wasn't even held through camp to compete with Cassel... And Was replaced with a tick shot artist...

So I don't know why anyone would feel that way

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW:

@ChrisWesseling

From that @PaulKuharskyNFL article: Mettenberger’s 16.5 Total QBR is worst of any QB with > 10 starts since the metric’s birth in 2006.

@LRiddickESPN

I wouldn't b 2 quick to jump on the "I told you so" wagon w/Mettenberger. It isn't like #Titans are setting the standard for QB development.

Have seen how relationships & confidence can change trajectory of a career, particularly @ QB. Mettenberger has to be smart about next team.

@PaulKuharskyNFL

.@LRiddickESPN raises a fair point. And Mariota and Mettenberger are not of the same class. But Mariota developed fine in his first year.

Beat me to it as per usual. The guy doesn't take care of the football.

I'm not sure that's correct. The Titans have Mariota filling the "quarterback of the future" niche. They have Alex Tanney filling the "cheap young wild card who might be something someday" slot. And they have Matt Cassel filling the "veteran mentor backup" niche.

That kind of leaves Mettenberger as the "odd man out", but I don't think he's competing with Cassel, he's competing with Tanney.

What it might say is they think Tanney >> Mettenberger. Or, it could be a courtesy thing - maybe they think Tanney is cheaper and Mettenberger deserves a shot to catch on elsewhere. Or maybe they can PS Tanney but they can't PS Mettenberger, PS rules still make my head hurt.

The good news is the QB they signed to replace him is ALSO one many on the wall wanted us to sign. Also good news is he can do half time tricks for home games.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/204059/historically-zach-mettenberger-has-no-chance

So goes a common and understandable reaction to the kind of micro-news we had Monday morning, when the Tennessee Titans announced they had waived Mettenberger to make roster space for an undrafted player signed off a rookie minicamp tryout.

He wouldn't have all that guaranteed money if he wasn't a first rounder, Doc. Which was the whole point.

i hate to agree with you(HA), but that was exactly the point.

as someone who is a UGA fan and watches SEC religiously. Mettenberger really isn't that good. Anyone who thinks he is an upgrade over EJ has not watched a lot of Mettenberger.

He wouldn't have all that guaranteed money if he wasn't a first rounder, Doc. Which was the whole point.

So you're saying EJ (who just finished his 3rd season) would have been cut prior to May 16th after his 2nd season (Mett was drafted a year later)? Or even sometime before today? Doubtful at best. He's no worse than any backup QB out there, and far cheaper at a cap hit of just under $2.6M. Mett OTOH is so bad he can't even beat-out Cassel or Tanney.

So you're saying EJ (who just finished his 3rd season) would have been cut prior to May 16th after his 2nd season (Mett was drafted a year later)? Or even sometime before today? Doubtful at best. He's no worse than any backup QB out there, and far cheaper at a cap hit of just under $2.6M. Mett OTOH is so bad he can't even beat-out Cassel or Tanney.

EJ lost his job to Joe Johnson. Lol.

So, your point is if, if, if, if, this, this, this, this, then this, this, this, this. Brilliant.

Get TF over it. He was, he is, next year he won't be.

& ferchrissakes change your avatar to something more appropriate. This one would work:

windmills.jpg?w=640

So, your point is if, if, if, if, this, this, this, this, then this, this, this, this. Brilliant.

Get TF over it. He was, he is, next year he won't be.

& ferchrissakes change your avatar to something more appropriate. This one would work:

No, actually. My point was eloquently stated in one post by yours truly. Surprised you missed it.

If the Bills didn't overdraft EJ in the first, he would've been cut long before Mettenberger.

Give me Mett.

No, actually. My point was eloquently stated in one post by yours truly. Surprised you missed it.

No, actually GTFOI. It is, it will always be.

EJ sucks

Mettenberger sucks

One was drafted in the first round

One wasn't

Nothing else to be said. Move along.

No, actually GTFOI. It is, it will always be.

EJ sucks

Mettenberger sucks

One was drafted in the first round

One wasn't

Nothing else to be said. Move along.

Move along? From the one post I made on the subject?

What do you call the Crusader who crusades against Crusaders? This is windmill on windmill crime, at best.

Yes to Zach.

I'd dump EJ for a conditional pick if you think you can get one.

They won't do it, but I would.

Yo, time to GTFOI, mate. Fun's over.

I like Mettenberger more than EJ. I would try to get something for EJ (anything) and bring in Mettenberger. I doubt that it happens. I bet someone claims him before us.

Seriously dude? Enough. Move on.

Edited by FireChan