Shady's value to the Bills...

Yes. He is a top 5 back in the NFL. Game breaker. Great receiver as well. Can do it all, including pass block with the best. Guy's an absolute stud. Knucklehead off the field, but who cares? Half of the NFL players are knuckleheads. Injuries are a concern, but that's a generic concern with all high salary cap players, plus Denver's bet with Manning seemed to work out OK in the end...... really a no brainer question.

We are pretty deep into this thread but to refresh.......the original question is loaded because it gives an inaccurate representation of what Shady was actually paid. Just a BIT off. :lol:

Also, can you really break games if you don't score touchdowns?

What do terms like "explosive" and "game breaker" actually mean if they are used to describe a small RB who only gains 4.2-4.4 ypa and also doesn't score TD's? Nobody has really answered that question but that is unquestionably what he's been for 3 of the past 4 seasons. Fact.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are pretty deep into this thread but to refresh.......the original question is loaded because it gives an inaccurate representation of what Shady was actually paid. Just a BIT off. :lol:

Also, can you really break games if you don't score touchdowns?

What do terms like "explosive" and "game breaker" actually mean if they are used to describe a small RB who only gains 4.2-4.4 ypa and also doesn't score TD's? Nobody has really answered that question but that is unquestionably what he's been for 3 of the past 4 seasons. Fact.

Edited by What a Tuel

I know there are some vociferous posters who really hate the deal the Bills signed Shady to after acquiring him from Philly.

Per Spotrac, Shady's cap hit this season is 4.88% of the Bills' overall cap.

My question for those who love, hate, or don't care about the contract is this -- is <5% of the team salary cap appropriate for a player of Shady's abilities?

FYI, that ranks 4th on the roster, behind Dareus, Glenn, and Gilmore.

Discuss.

He's a good back no doubt but he's right at the point where backs start to drop off and the fall is usually pretty fast too.

He's a good back no doubt but he's right at the point where backs start to drop off and the fall is usually pretty fast too.

And when that happens they'll cut him. In the meantime, he's one of two elite playmakers on the offense so I'd say he's pretty critical.

And when that happens they'll cut him. In the meantime, he's one of two elite playmakers on the offense so I'd say he's pretty critical.

And when they do cut him they will have to eat that big signing bonus and will have lots of dead cap space.

Only? Eric Dickerson averaged 4.4 for his career. 4.4 is pretty good when you are able to do it year after year.

I know we love to think that any flash in the pan (Spiller, Karlos) is going to extrapolate success in a limited time frame over a whole career, but that doesn't usually end up happening.

And when they do cut him they will have to eat that big signing bonus and will have lots of dead cap space.

They really only suffer if they cut him this year (which they won't do).

He counts against the cap regardless, but will indeed save money if he's cut any time after this season.

$1M saved if he's cut after 2016

$3.7M saved if he's cut after 2017

$6.4M saved if he's cut after 2018

Only? Eric Dickerson averaged 4.4 for his career. 4.4 is pretty good when you are able to do it year after year.

I know we love to think that any flash in the pan (Spiller, Karlos) is going to extrapolate success in a limited time frame over a whole career, but that doesn't usually end up happening.

Yes, only.

The NFL expected yards per rush attempt during Shady's career is 4.22.

During Dickerson's career, the expected ypa was just 4.01.

AND........Dickerson rushed for less than 4.4 yards per attempt in each of his last SIX seasons.......so it took a long downward cycle to bring him down to 4.4 for his career.

AND as is often the case with these low YPA runners........he was a 220-230# RB.......so his impact was very different than a sideways running scatback.

Shady is actually a career 4.6 yards per rush player.....just a bit below ED in adjusted ypa but before that gets people excited.......also below former Eagles Brian Westbrook and Wilbert Montgomery....and falling.

Like ED in his last 6 seasons, McCoy is in the downward spiral portion of his career....he's hit 4..6 or greater only once in the past 4 seasons..........and even playing in the league's best run offense last year, where the other 3 leading rushers ran for a yard or more above the expected ypa...... didn't notably elevate Shady's production.

Edited by #BADOL

They really only suffer if they cut him this year (which they won't do).

He counts against the cap regardless, but will indeed save money if he's cut any time after this season.

$1M saved if he's cut after 2016

$3.7M saved if he's cut after 2017

$6.4M saved if he's cut after 2018

Based on his age and salary I'm going to guess 2017 will be his last year and if they cut him after that year they will still be on the hook for almost 6MM in dead cap money. He's a good player and will help them but they over paid and gave him too long of a contract

Based on his age and salary I'm going to guess 2017 will be his last year and if they cut him after that year they will still be on the hook for almost 6MM in dead cap money. He's a good player and will help them but they over paid and gave him too long of a contract

You think he will stop playing at age 30? Maybe his effectiveness is decreased, and there may be some talk of being worth the price tag, but I guarentee he is on some NFL team until 31 at least.

Shady is a beast hands down one of the best players on this team and now that he knows his OL, I expect him to have a huge year if he finds a way to stay healthy. My prediction is over 1200 yards and close to double digit TDs combined catching and rushing. I've been a shady fan for quite sometime and I think this is Shady's year to shine.

Shady is a beast hands down one of the best players on this team and now that he knows his OL, I expect him to have a huge year if he finds a way to stay healthy. My prediction is over 1200 yards and close to double digit TDs combined catching and rushing. I've been a shady fan for quite sometime and I think this is Shady's year to shine.

:beer:

You think he will stop playing at age 30? Maybe his effectiveness is decreased, and there may be some talk of being worth the price tag, but I guarentee he is on some NFL team until 31 at least.

I assume he meant his last year as a Bill. I could see him being a potential cap casualty after this season. But make no mistake, this offense goes nowhere without a big year from Shady.

I assume he meant his last year as a Bill. I could see him being a potential cap casualty after this season. But make no mistake, this offense goes nowhere without a big year from Shady.

Curious to hear why you think this. Weren't we one of the best rushing teams and above average in total without a big year from Shady?

Curious to hear why you think this. Weren't we one of the best rushing teams and above average in total without a big year from Shady?

It wasn't a big year, but Shady was still the main guy last year in terms of carries which is important. And he remains a dynamic player that defenses must account for.

Despite his fast start in 2015, I'm not sold on Karlos yet. I'm concerned about his durability and much like with Spiller, I don't see him maintaining his gaudy ypc as a feature back getting 200+ carries if Shady were to go down. The other guys are completely unproven.

It wasn't a big year, but Shady was still the main guy last year in terms of carries which is important. And he remains a dynamic player that defenses must account for.

Despite his fast start in 2015, I'm not sold on Karlos yet. I'm concerned about his durability and much like with Spiller, I don't see him maintaining his gaudy ypc as a feature back getting 200+ carries if Shady were to go down. The other guys are completely unproven.

Oh, so you don't mean like monster year in terms of yards and TD's but a year where he's the clear #1 in carries? Got it. Edited by FireChan

Oh, so you don't mean like monster year in terms of yards and TD's but a year where he's the clear #1 in carries? Got it.

I think monster year in terms of yards and TDs will be necessary to be in the playoffs. I think a year like he had last year will end up with a record about like we had last year.

I think without him and relying on just the other guys, we'll be even worse than last year even with an improved defense.