One game from every 2016 draft pick

First thing I noticed is Shaq is really SLOW off the ball, hope he gets better at that. The other thing is that spin move he has, is really, really, good. Once he gets moving he has some push. Tackles well, can see why the Bills liked him.

Edited by gordong

First thing I noticed is Shaq is really SLOW of the ball, hope he gets better at that. The other thing is that spin move he has, is really, really, good. Once he gets moving he has some push. Tackles well, can see why the Bills liked him.

Shaq read a lot of tackles for run/pass.snap... That always makes it appear like a slow read, I don't know where I read it as I've been on 100 sites reading evals, but apparently after reading the ball is WAY quicker.... Just some knowledge I caught

So glad you saw that too,I haven't heard anyone knock him for that but that's what I saw immediately after watching highlights once we drafted him. He was almost always the last defender off the line. Dodd stood out a lot to me on Shaqs videos. One huge positive I did notice though was no one ran to Shaqs side (this was after viewing diff shaq vs. team vids).

I agree with the sentiment that Shaq is slow off the snap. It's one of the many reasons Greg Cosell, of NFL Films was not high on Shaq Lawson as a prospect. I happen to really respect Cosell's opinion, he really delves into the film srudy, and I hope he's wrong, but I see a very average athlete.

He appears to be stiff and slow as a pass rusher. I almost wonder if the Bills will want him to shed a few lbs. apparently he had some more juice in '14 when he was 15 lbs. lighter than he did in '15.

Shaq read a lot of tackles for run/pass.snap... That always makes it appear like a slow read, I don't know where I read it as I've been on 100 sites reading evals, but apparently after reading the ball is WAY quicker.... Just some knowledge I caught

I also saw Shaq being required to make a lot reads. The times he was asked to go after the QB he did alright, but when he did have to read it caused him to be a step behind (as you would expect). I was really impressed at the way he compressed the line and read the option. This was a good battle between Stanley and Shaq. Hard to say who won exactly.

I think that Ragland plays faster than he is, he doesn't look slow in any of the video I've seen, he also looks like he comes off blockers pretty well. If you didn't tell me he had questionable speed I would never know looking at video, he often looks like the best player.

as for Lawson I don't think he is slow (once) he gets going he actually has pretty good speed and power. But I would be lying if I wasn't concern about getting off the ball in the pro's (this a going to be something I'll watch very closely come training camp, Nothing like seeing them with your own eyes.)

Shaq was double teamed a lot during the ND game. He was tackled - literally by Shelton and the LG on one play - which would have been a huge sack. ND didn't run to his side much, and when they did - he held contain on the runner and made tackles. He had several TFL in that game. He'll be a good player for The Bills and a better player than the sorehead he's replacing had last year.

It looks to me like Shaq was trying to stay at home and read where the ball was going because ND ran the read option so much. He is the last guy out of his stance when the ball is snapped though, every play.

As I said before, I think this is by design. I was also slightly concerned about this watching other games too, but I realized he is being asked to make pass/run and read option reads on every play. That tells me his coaches trust his thinking. I think he will be a good OLB for us because of his ability to make reads. I forget the time, but in that game Dodd was asked to make a read and drop into coverage. He was a little too slow and didn't get deep enough. Cost his team a 20+ yard play. When he is asked to rush the passer he gets off the line with everyone else.

- watching the Listenbee vid and I think the Rams got a good RB with Aaron Green (UDRFA from TCU)..that kid was fast and elusive.

- I think the CB was off Listenbee by 10 yards on almost every play...not sure if this is just the defense they run or respecting the speed of Listenbee...would have liked to see a bit more fight for some of the balls thrown to him and he needs to be a bit more aggressive with the CB on plays he knows aren't coming his way...

Edited by Tsaikotic

I agree with the sentiment that Shaq is slow off the snap. It's one of the many reasons Greg Cosell, of NFL Films was not high on Shaq Lawson as a prospect. I happen to really respect Cosell's opinion, he really delves into the film srudy, and I hope he's wrong, but I see a very average athlete.

He appears to be stiff and slow as a pass rusher. I almost wonder if the Bills will want him to shed a few lbs. apparently he had some more juice in '14 when he was 15 lbs. lighter than he did in '15.

As others said, I have also read he is reading the feet of the OT in front of him to see what the line is doing, not that hes slow off the ball. He also has to set the edge on most plays to protect from the run, I dont think he is slow off the line at all. The article I read named 3 ways ER burst off the LOS. One is to follow the count of the QB, Watch the ball and wait for it to move then burst, and the 3rd type is to read the OTs feet, you are able to see if its a run blocking or pass blocking move and therefore "read the play".