Fitz calls his shot -Update Signed w/Jets

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes a lot of sense. He is a backup caliber of qb. He started on the Jets last year because they had no other options. That is not much of an endorsement for a 14 yr career backup who has moved around the league as if he is a gypsy running from the law. Let's look at Fitz's options: No other team in the league is interested in him as a starter. In addition, no other team in the league is interested in him as a high cost backup.

I'm sure the Jets will up their offer with the realization is that hey know what his worth is in the qb market. Fitz is Harvard educated economic major. He knows as well as anyone that he is worth not what he thinks he is worth but that he is worth what the market says he is worth.

Fitz had a good year last year as a starter. It was an aberration. Fitz has had a long mediocre career mostly as a backup. That's what he is worth. Good backup money plus a little more.

two things, the racism about gypsies has us rather upset. and you will have trouble with your tomatoes this year along with a rash that never quite leaves . you know which one i speak of.

and the other, Fitz truly has a body of work to be valued upon. Last year he was under Gailey and he should be THANKFUL for that.

take what cash he can get and then walk away, if his booboos hurt so much

no. Not stirring ****. I just see some systems like Jacksonville being very qb friendly with the personnel to succeed.

Jville runs a very basic yet very effective offense which fosters progress.

I think he could get as much and maybe more done. Bottles forced a lot of mistakes. Fitz doesn't force mistakes and has got better. When pressures on the line he still struggled. And he doesn't have bottles' arm.

which is why they should stick with Bortles.

Ryan has peaked

The NFL is a system predicated on value. It isn't only about who starts or doesn't, it is about worth/cost$$$ relative to talent. Do I need to remind you that we let Fitz leave because we weren't going to keep him at a certain price level even as a starter. There is nothing new about the process, every team works within the same system. The Broncos needed a starter after Peyton retired. They ascribed a value to Osweiller that they were not willing to cross. So Osweiller found a team that was willing to pay the price. Was signing Sanchez at a much cheaper price a good value response to the departure of Osweiller? In their calculation it was, at least for now. They then moved up in the draft to sign a good qb prospect.

There is no doubt that the Jets contract offerings were due to cap considerations. But where I separate myself from your perspective on this issue that their contract position is more attributable to how they evaluate his talent level. Another factor in supporting the team's position is that there isn't much appetite for this very smart but limited qb.

That not why Fitz left. He wanted to be the starter. he was already paid well. Nix did an oopsy daisy

Or you could go back and read my threads. As I said, the market is the Jets and their unimaginably bad QB roster without Fitz. And the Jets have been free to replace Fitz as the veteran "bridge" QB, yet they have rejected each guy who has come through.

As for the term "starting QB", I'm not sure how else to walk you through its pretty straightforward definition.

Fitz certainly was a starter for the Jets. The organization valued him to the extent that he was offered a minimal contract. The Jets are not acting as if they would be facing a calamitous situation without him. I'll repeat the same question that I have stated in a variety of posts: What team would be interested in Fitz if he was on the market, which he was? None. Just because the Jets haven't replaced Fitz at this point doesn't mean that they won't be able to find a replacement as mediocre as Fitz. Those caliber of qbs are readily attainable.

See? Woody Johnson isn't the dumbest guy in that crew afterall

we both no that is lip service. wait.. thats gross

Fitz certainly was a starter for the Jets. The organization valued him to the extent that he was offered a minimal contract. The Jets are not acting as if they would be facing a calamitous situation without him. I'll repeat the same question that I have stated in a variety of posts: What team would be interested in Fitz if he was on the market, which he was? None. Just because the Jets haven't replaced Fitz at this point doesn't mean that they won't be able to find a replacement as mediocre as Fitz. Those caliber of qbs are readily attainable.

and it must be asked, whom might they be at this point/ Trade fir Glennon?

Ahh...back to the ever elusive "groomed QB", of course! There a long and proud tradition of great NFL QBs highly drafted to be "groomed" for a few years before they are ripe for the "franchise".

The "groomed" QB? Don't knock it. Da Bills have one of those "groomed" QB, and yes, he is indeed elusive :nana:

and it must be asked, whom might they be at this point/ Trade fir Glennon?

It's apparent that whoever the replacement for Fitz might be the Jets aren't overly concerned by the possible departure of Fitz. The organization is willing to pay him a low starting salary because that is what they believe he is worth. If it is not agreeable to Fitz then he can retire or hook up with another team as a backup for a smaller contract than he would have gotten from the Jets.

The funny thing is WEO was laughing at the Bills for giving Fitz that large extension after a season of good play, only to see him **** the bed afterwards. And NOW he is saying the Jets should make the same mistake.

Sure, if a QB goes down Fitz will be a hot ticket. I was speaking about the present though.

Yeah. But I was wondering if chasing a ring - or even having a playoff run - might be worth something to the guy. I keep coming back to this: Why accept a below market value deal with the Jest? Get your money or chase a ring. Who knows what QB goes down. Hell, by week 3 he might look damn good to Denver. They won a ring with a decrepit Peyton Manning and Brock Freaking Osweiler. You can't tell me Fitzy wouldn't have a chance.

It's apparent that whoever the replacement for Fitz might be the Jets aren't overly concerned by the possible departure of Fitz. The organization is willing to pay him a low starting salary because that is what they believe he is worth. If it is not agreeable to Fitz then he can retire or hook up with another team as a backup for a smaller contract than he would have gotten from the Jets.

Well since they have yet to replace him with an NFL player with exp. You think it's Geno for real. I could see that honestly.

What better options would there be?

this is the trick isn't it ?

Yeah. But I was wondering if chasing a ring - or even having a playoff run - might be worth something to the guy. I keep coming back to this: Why accept a below market value deal with the Jest? Get your money or chase a ring. Who knows what QB goes down. Hell, by week 3 he might look damn good to Denver. They won a ring with a decrepit Peyton Manning and Brock Freaking Osweiler. You can't tell me Fitzy wouldn't have a chance.

With what team? Options are pretty much dried up.

@domcosentino

Maccagnan, on if Ryan Fitzpatrick doesn't re-sign: "We're excited to see what Geno Smith can do coming back."

Will it be a parting shot or are the Jets just applying additional pressure?

@AroundTheNFL

ChfMdHpUUAA4o8N.jpg

These two statements by that goofy GM constitute the worst pair of deuces bluff in years. This guy is entering Buddy Nix territory.

I "knew" he'd never take a team to the playoffs. Because, well, we just saw why.

As I said, they should have signed Revis 4 years ago to the deal he wanted. Would have gotten him in his prime, a lot cheaper, and been able to dump him now.

What do you mean no one grooms QB's anymore? The Eagles are looking to groom Wentz for a year at least under Bradford. The Broncos are looking to do the same with Lynch under Sanchez. The Rams...well, they'll probably start Goff because he was the first overall pick and have no one better. The Cheaters were grooming Mallett and then Garrrrooopppooolllo and now Brissett.

But what are you trying to say? That the Jets should start Hack this coming season, if "no one grooms QBs anymore"? So why sign/pay Fitz at all?

Drafting a guy to be a backup QB is really just that. Garapalo is never going to supplant the guy who says he wants to play another 5 years. And before Brady retires the pats will draft his actual replacement. There is no way Sanchez will be the Broncos QB the whole season. Wentz will be starting this season at some point.

What actually saying, not trying, to say is that the Jets are looking to win more games than they lose in the next few years, their safest bet is with Fitz. They no they have no chance with the crap they have draft over the past 3 years at QB. Hackenberg is a mediocre QB from a school where mediocre QBs are sought after. Anyway, if what you are saying is true, and that they are grooming this kid, they have to pay Fitz....plain and simple.

Name one. They have already rejected several. There are no others who have demonstrated what Fitz did last year. Why do you insist on asking who else wants him when I have already told you that the team where he holds the most value is the Jets---because of their horrible options. I'll ask you--if the Jets QB other than Fitz is so solid, why would they look elsewhere? And why, if they are looking, haven't simply signed one of those "readily attainable" QBs you imagine exist?

The "groomed" QB? Don't knock it. Da Bills have one of those "groomed" QB, and yes, he is indeed elusive :nana:

Come, TT was drafted to cover for a young QB for missed games due to injury. No different than hundreds of other backups before him.

The funny thing is WEO was laughing at the Bills for giving Fitz that large extension after a season of good play, only to see him **** the bed afterwards. And NOW he is saying the Jets should make the same mistake.

If Buddy hadn't dumped Fitz, we wouldn't have had to have Whaley draft EJ.

Drafting a guy to be a backup QB is really just that. Garapalo is never going to supplant the guy who says he wants to play another 5 years. And before Brady retires the pats will draft his actual replacement. There is no way Sanchez will be the Broncos QB the whole season. Wentz will be starting this season at some point

What actually saying, not trying, to say is that the Jets are looking to win more games than they lose in the next few years, their safest bet is with Fitz. They no they have no chance with the crap they have draft over the past 3 years at QB. Hackenberg is a mediocre QB from a school where mediocre QBs are sought after. Anyway, if what you are saying is true, and that they are grooming this kid, they have to pay Fitz....plain and simple.

If Buddy hadn't dumped Fitz, we wouldn't have had to have Whaley draft EJ.

Every team that draft a QB does so with the intention of grooming him. Most fizzle out, some become backups, and even fewer develop. Most teams however don't draft guys high figuring they'll just become backups (even the Cheaters). This is plainly obvious. And just like you think Wentz will play sometime this season, Hack will probably end up doing the same when Geno ***** the bed. So again, why pay Fitz $10M/year, especially after how last season ended and the lack of interest shown by several teams in the off-season? Might as well see what Hack has +/- wait and see if Fitz ends up taking their offer. Conversely Fitz should also wait to see if someone needs a starter because of injury.

And there's no guarantee that the Jets will win more games with Fitz than one of the other guys, much less make the playoffs, which is the main goal. Again look at how Fitz played after he got his extension with the Bills and how he played in the season ender last year. The Jets know all of that history. As a result they didn't offer him much more than backup money and drafted a QB high.

And even if Buddy hadn't dumped Fitz, they would have taken EJ. He knew Fitz was what he was and they needed a QB of the future. Didn't work out obviously, just like it didn't with the Jets and Geno, but it doesn't mean you don't try again.

Come, TT was drafted to cover for a young QB for missed games due to injury. No different than hundreds of other backups before him.

It was a joke, Son, a play on words....groomed....TT...have you seen how he dresses? and have you seen defenses flapping around like chickens trying to capture him?

Seriously, though, while TT was clearly drafted to be a backup, the net effect of those 4 years was that he got to sit and learn and be coached...in other words, he WAS groomed.

That is probably what the Iggles are hoping for with Chase Daniel.