What will New England do now?

Given recent developments, it's clear that the Patriots will need to bring in another quarterback to begin the year.

I believe their best bet would be to work out a deal to bring Brian Hoyer back to New England. Hoyer is an established NFL signal caller who is familiar with New England's offense, and is currently out of work without many other options which would guarantee him NFL starts this year.

I think this would be a perfect fit for both player and organization, as it would give the Patriots a known quantity who is capable of winning at the NFL level, and would give Hoyer a chance to reestablish his FA value if he performs well, possibly setting him up for a decent contract as competent placeholder QB for a rebuilding team.

Thoughts?

Given recent developments, it's clear that the Patriots will need to bring in another quarterback to begin the year.

I believe their best bet would be to work out a deal to bring Brian Hoyer back to New England. Hoyer is an established NFL signal caller who is familiar with New England's offense, and is currently out of work without many other options which would guarantee him NFL starts this year.

I think this would be a perfect fit for both player and organization, as it would give the Patriots a known quantity who is capable of winning at the NFL level, and would give Hoyer a chance to reestablish his FA value if he performs well, possibly setting him up for a decent contract as competent placeholder QB for a rebuilding team.

Thoughts?

Hoyer would be risking quite a bit on a 1 year at best deal with the Pats.

Hoyer would be risking quite a bit on a 1 year at best deal with the Pats.

I think it's a fair risk/reward situation for him.

He is guaranteed at least 4 starts, and a good shot to win a ring that he would have made a real contribution to; and at this point in the season, most QB situations are settled, and those that aren't are competing for the services of Ryan Fitzpatrick and now Sam Bradford, both of whom are better than Hoyer.

I think this buys Hoyer a bridge year, and if he performs well, elevates his value in next years FA class.

I think it's a fair risk/reward situation for him.

He is guaranteed at least 4 starts, and a good shot to win a ring that he would have made a real contribution to; and at this point in the season, most QB situations are settled, and those that aren't are competing for the services of Ryan Fitzpatrick and now Sam Bradford, both of whom are better than Hoyer.

I think this buys Hoyer a bridge year, and if he performs well, elevates his value in next years FA class.

Hard to say this is the case. Jimmy G has had 2 years to learn that playbook, and a Jimmy G with no tape for 4 games may be a better option that Hoyer.

If he was guaranteed the job, it makes a lot of sense. If not, then who knows. The Pats aren't the sort of team to throw their money around for a 4 game contributor, either. He may get more on a 1 yr deal with a DEN or NY, who both may feel Bradford isn't worth the asset and/or him and Fitzy are asking for fringe starter money.

Edited by FireChan

New England will do what it's done before. Garoppolo will start. Maybe they go to free agency to get a backup, but at the end of the day, they're going with the guy that knows the Patriots system for cheating. At the end of the day and kidding aside, they will go with what they know and see what happens.

From the thread title, I thought you were asking how they were going to cheat next.

Im going with, Porky's-style peephole into the opposing team locker room so they can steal the plays.

hqdefault.jpg

Amazing!! Love it!!

Power run game with Blount or Jordan Howard (who I reckon they'll draft). Dion Lewis as the COP guy. Lots of quick easy throws for Jimmy to the behemoths at TE.

Pats were setting up for life without Brady already. I doubt they need another QB.

Ya, they are so good at moving players position to position they don't even need a back up QB for four games!