The new face of the $20

General question: Do Democrats and Republicans actually make claim to their party's actions pre Southern Strategy?

:lol: Of course not. A good number of Democrats actually think Lincoln was a democrat.

The Democrats and Republicans completely switched platforms after the Civil Rights Act, and people think that's how they've been for an eternity.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CggwQqlWQAEFzHt.jpg

This is friggin' sweet, btw!

They should put action shots on all the currency. Washington running for his life from the battle of the Monongahela on the one, Lincoln shooting Indians side-by-side with Jefferson Davis on the five, Hamilton collapsing from Burr's bullet on the $10, Kennedy !@#$ing Marilyn Monroe on the half-dollar...

the Left is upset......................

Harriet Tubman on the $20 Bill Is Problematic Now, Too
Not to be appeased, some progressives are upset about Treasury Secretary Jack Lew’s decision to honor a once-enslaved black woman on the $20 bill.
Victoria M. Massie at Vox believes replacing Andrew Jackson with Harriet Tubman on the face of the 20 is “tricky” (i.e., problematic), and Ijeoma Oluo at the Guardian believes it “papers over racism” because money is, of course, a symbol of capitalist oppression. Massie quotes Jay Smooth, “What we’re basically talking about right now is honoring the work Harriet Tubman did to free us from slavery by putting her face on the reason we were in slavery.”
{snip}
Placing Tubman’s image on our currency shouldn’t be understood as a corrective action. Her legacy shouldn’t be wielded as a tool to redeem the cruelty of our ancestors. There should be no intention to “paper over” racism. The action should rather esteem a woman who defied unjust laws, trusted God, and endangered her life for others’ freedom. It should remind us that human goodness can prevail despite the evil that other humans do.
We should venerate people for displaying something that has nothing to do with their race, sex, origins, or social standing: virtue.
The capacity to be — or not to be — virtuous is the most significant source of human equality, and it is inalienable. It is Tubman’s historic selflessness and courage, not her state of oppression, that we honor.

We should venerate people for displaying something that has nothing to do with their race, sex, origins, or social standing: virtue.

In that case, we can just leave Jackson on the twenty dollar bill.

the Left is upset......................

Harriet Tubman on the $20 Bill Is Problematic Now, Too
Not to be appeased, some progressives are upset about Treasury Secretary Jack Lew’s decision to honor a once-enslaved black woman on the $20 bill.
Victoria M. Massie at Vox believes replacing Andrew Jackson with Harriet Tubman on the face of the 20 is “tricky” (i.e., problematic), and Ijeoma Oluo at the Guardian believes it “papers over racism” because money is, of course, a symbol of capitalist oppression. Massie quotes Jay Smooth, “What we’re basically talking about right now is honoring the work Harriet Tubman did to free us from slavery by putting her face on the reason we were in slavery.”
{snip}
Placing Tubman’s image on our currency shouldn’t be understood as a corrective action. Her legacy shouldn’t be wielded as a tool to redeem the cruelty of our ancestors. There should be no intention to “paper over” racism. The action should rather esteem a woman who defied unjust laws, trusted God, and endangered her life for others’ freedom. It should remind us that human goodness can prevail despite the evil that other humans do.
The capacity to be — or not to be — virtuous is the most significant source of human equality, and it is inalienable. It is Tubman’s historic selflessness and courage, not her state of oppression, that we honor.

The Right is also upset, Greta Van Sustren suggested a new $25 bill for Tubman so we can leave Jackson on the $20. Who gives a ****.

People don't like the obvious pandering.

People don't like the obvious pandering.

I get that, I mean who gives a **** about making this a left/right issue.

IMO, we should be cycling the currency every 10-15 years. Let's have Tubman replace Jackson, and Wilson replace Hamilton, and Eisenhower replace Grant, and Zebulon Pike replace Franklin for awhile. Makes it a non-issue who's on the money and everyone gets their turn. Britain does this, I think.

I get that, I mean who gives a **** about making this a left/right issue.

IMO, we should be cycling the currency every 10-15 years. Let's have Tubman replace Jackson, and Wilson replace Hamilton, and Eisenhower replace Grant, and Zebulon Pike replace Franklin for awhile. Makes it a non-issue who's on the money and everyone gets their turn. Britain does this, I think.

Raycist!

I was thinking along similar lines - we do, after all, have the series of 50 state quarters. Why not issue a series of bills to honor or commemorate Americans prominent in our history?