Moneyball and the Browns

I'm convinced the Pats have a Moneyball type system in place to some extent. They are canny at getting the perfect players that fit in their system. They have to be looking at specific metrics. That would explain why people thrive there and then are average when they leave that system.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm convinced the Pats have a Moneyball type system in place to some extent. They are canny at getting the perfect players that fit in their system. They have to be looking at specific metrics. That would explain why people thrive there and then are average when they leave that system.

Stop overthinking the room... It is Brady. It is and has always been about Brady.

And add a little bit of cutthroat mentality with their veteran players. Belichick has no problem letting go of the star veteran a year or two before they decline. He replaces them with a young guy or another veteran at a much lower cost. Or worst of all for the rest of the league, he gets a team to give up draft picks for an aging veteran.

Stop overthinking the room... It is Brady. It is and has always been about Brady.

And add a little bit of cutthroat mentality with their veteran players. Belichick has no problem letting go of the star veteran a year or two before they decline. He replaces them with a young guy or another veteran at a much lower cost. Or worst of all for the rest of the league, he gets a team to give up draft picks for an aging veteran.

Bellicheat**** is playing Madden, because that is exactly what you do in that game....

Business intelligence is why the Patriots have been as successful as they have been for nearly 20 years.

I am very interested in what the Browns are doing. There are more layers to this than what's reported in the press of course.

The NBA Spurs hired Kirk Goldsberry of Grantland fame for their analytical unit.

One of the reasons the Pittsburgh Pirates got out of their hole was analytics. They embraced the defensive shift long before other teams began doing it. Dan Fox, one of their data guys, studied how often balls were hit to certain locations on the field.

Business intelligence ???? I think 90% of their success has been Brady.

I think this is an interesting observation.

I don't believe the story of the Pats success begins and ends with Brady.

Remind me to never get in an airplane with you.

Nothing beats memories from growing up, especially with teams that you rooted for like crazy. those are 2 rough teams you chose; I really hope you a re a Yankees fan or something to help balance it out.... :beer:

Unfortunately, by far the team I'm most emotionally invested in is the Bills. Second, is not even close. The only other pro teams I follow at all are the Sabres and Browns. Neither has won a championship in my lifetime. And I'm not quite old enough to remember when the Bills were winning AFL championships.

And, by the way, I'm a Purdue alum... not much going on there either.

Staying out of airplanes with me is a good idea. My Seattle friends are glad I don't root for the Seahawks.

Back to the Brownies, we all know baseball lends itself to analytics better than football. Yet isn't it possible that DePodesta unearths some statistical tendencies that personnel departments in the past have not noticed?

What really is the relationship between a QB's hand size and cold-weather success? How important is an OT's arm length actually? Is the 40 yard dash meaningful at all? Is there a better way to measure functional speed?

Stats have been part of the NFL forever. I'm not convinced teams are always measuring and talking about the right stats, though.

Edited by hondo in seattle

No... They have Brady who takes little money instead of the money grubbing QBs in the league. Also not many players wouldn't want to play for Brady.

• 3 weeks later...

The Browns moneyball system is interesting in this year's draft- accumulate as many draft picks as you can in future drafts. My hunch is that this will pay off for them. It's a patience game but it just might work