The best move for the Bills in the draft is to trade down.

Yeah I dont now about trading down more then once.....I def dont want to go out of the first round.....

We have been hearing that DL is 3 rounds deep of starters in this draft....I am counting on that.

It would be nice to have an additional 2nd in this draft.

This has kinda been what i have based my limited opinion on John. The depth on Defense, which is a need.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@BuildingHerd

.@RQUINN619 Looks at 5 Trade Down Scenarios #Bills Should Consider, along w/ Compensation http://buildingtheherd.com/commentary/2016-nfl-draft-5-trade-scenarios-buffalo-bills-explore/

CfaXZ2IUUAAxDb1.jpg

I just wanted to take this opportunity to say that I really enjoy Rob Quinn's work. I read everything that he puts out. It is thought provoking and intelligent. I encourage you all to give him a follow if you don't already.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to say that I really enjoy Rob Quinn's work. I read everything that he puts out. It is thought provoking and intelligent. I encourage you all to give him a follow if you don't already.

Hear Hear! :thumbsup:

CfaXZ2IUUAAxDb1.jpg

That is the first time I've seen Doug Whaley and a tie together.

I echo the comments about the fine quality of an article by Mr. Quinn.

I don't want the Bills to trade down out of #19. Either make a pick or trade up.

Edited by dpberr

Absolutely. I don't always agree with Rob but I respect his opinion higher than most. Talking football with him over the past couple of years has been a lot of fun.

@BuildingHerd

.@RQUINN619 Looks at 5 Trade Down Scenarios #Bills Should Consider, along w/ Compensation http://buildingtheherd.com/commentary/2016-nfl-draft-5-trade-scenarios-buffalo-bills-explore/

CfaXZ2IUUAAxDb1.jpg

I'm really not thrilled with any of those trade down options. Underperforming players, players on the last year of their deals, late round picks or a big slide to get a third and some later round picks. None would make me move unless I hated the options at 19. I guess you'd file away options like those in that unlikely event, but I expect there to only be a few good options at 19 so I'd need some premium value to move out of it.

I'm really not thrilled with any of those trade down options. Underperforming players, players on the last year of their deals, late round picks or a big slide to get a third and some later round picks. None would make me move unless I hated the options at 19. I guess you'd file away options like those in that unlikely event, but I expect there to only be a few good options at 19 so I'd need some premium value to move out of it.

If Whaley and company are confident that they can still get the guy they want after trading down, I hope they do just that.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

If Whaley and company are confident that they can still get the guy they want after trading down, I hope they do just that.

Sure. But you never want to move down past the number of guys you have closely rated - unless the compensation really makes it worthwhile. Trading down 7 spots if you've got 3 players you like at the current talent tier would be very risky, for example. It just seems like trading out of 19 would likely end up either a) yielding very little for a small move or b) yielding a day two pick for a big move that takes the Bills out of a higher tier of talent with their first pick.

Sure. But you never want to move down past the number of guys you have closely rated - unless the compensation really makes it worthwhile. Trading down 7 spots if you've got 3 players you like at the current talent tier would be very risky, for example. It just seems like trading out of 19 would likely end up either a) yielding very little for a small move or b) yielding a day two pick for a big move that takes the Bills out of a higher tier of talent with their first pick.

Your assessment is dead on and they certainly wouldn't make a move under those circumstances.

I kind of always think trading down is the best strategy...But in this Draft, with all the D-line talent available, I think it's a real possibility...

If you can trade down a few spots and still get a prospect like Dodd, Lawson, Butler, etc...Why not? B-)

Your assessment is dead on and they certainly wouldn't make a move under those circumstances.

Thanks. I forgot to mention that I see only about 20ish players at the elite or blue chip level. Due to position, etc. some third tier (red chip) players will get selected in the top 19, but I only expect a small handful of blue clippers to be left when the Bills go on the clock. The number of those blue chip players that fill a big need will be even smaller and I don't want to see the Bills lose out on one because they traded out - unless they got a lot of value. Even then.....

So I guess my opinion in this case is largely due to seeing the situation that way.

I always like to trade down, but if a guy by the name of Paxton lynch is there at #19 overall I think we need to take him.

Lynch could prove to be the best QB in this draft and certainly a franchise QB, a definite difference maker. He's 6'-7", 244 lbs, has a rocket for an arm and is extremely mobile for his size.

That doesn't mean that we should move T. Taylor. We would need both of them and would be looking good for the future with both guys in the fold.

I always like to trade down, but if a guy by the name of Paxton lynch is there at #19 overall I think we need to take him.

Lynch could prove to be the best QB in this draft and certainly a franchise QB, a definite difference maker. He's 6'-7", 244 lbs, has a rocket for an arm and is extremely mobile for his size.

That doesn't mean that we should move T. Taylor. We would need both of them and would be looking good for the future with both guys in the fold.

I agree with all this but he's nowhere near ready to start in the NFL mentally. Dude needs to sit 2-3 years. Until then, it's Tyrod time.

You can clearly say this is the best move without even knowing who's left on the board? What if Ramsey or Bosa was still available? Trade down?

Well...

That's like saying what if pigs could fly, could they migrate South for the Winter? :lol:

At #19 I think the names would be more like Rankins, or one of the Alabama DT's...If one of those guys is still around it would certainly give me pause...But even that is unlikely...Ramsey and Bosa is dreaming... B-)

I can see a bunch of teams moving up for Paxton Lynch.

1st rd teams

Chiefs #27, Cards #28 or #31 Broncos - Swap 1st add 2nd and 4th.

2nd Rd teams Cleve #32, Dall #34, SD #35, 49ERS # 37, Bears #41.

These teams will have to give up There 2016 2nd & 3rd and a 1st in 2017.

Now I would jump all over anyone of these offers especially The 2nd rd teams so we can get a extra 1st for next season. I love this yrs draft because of the starters depth well into the 5th rd. DW and crew can put on a clinic with these extra pks . With needs at Dline, Lber, Safety and Wr this yrs best value at those positions are in the 2nd/4th rds.

With the late first or early 2nd the Bills can find players like Noah Spence, Robert Knemdiche or Chris Jones. These are guys with high 1st rd grades that because of character concerns can be available. Other players we can get

Ryan Kelly C Alabama

Karl Joseph FS West Virginia

Deon Jones LB LSU

Andrew Billings DT Baylor.

With all this being said I hope we can find a partner to swing a deal.

Sully is writing his post draft day article already. He will crucify Whaley if Lynch is there and he trades down.

Under someone's post of Paxton Lynch to #19 and somebody moving up and giving us extra picks-----> Take Paxton Lynch. Tyrod is an injury waiting to happen and we don't have a backup worth crap.. Take Lynch don't accumulate picks. We have enough picks to get good players throughout this draft. If you pass & you don't trade down, I think the Jets would take him.

It would be a tough call though. Depends on who they could get as a dance partner, and what comp they're offering.

@BuildingHerd

CfaXZ2IUUAAxDb1.jpg

Nice pic. Looks like Doug's making the call to a new Bill.