CTE and Current Bills Players

With the NFL now admitting the link between football and CTE it is time for the Buffalo Bills to take a pro-active approach to head injuries. It borders on total negligence that free agents are given monster deals and our own players handed huge extensions WITHOUT scanning for CTE. When you’re making multi-million dollar investments, the due diligence process is critical. You don’t buy a house without examining the attic for bats and leaks. Why make major financial commitments to players before testing for the presence of CTE?

CTE is a degenerative condition which not only effects players current performance, but also exposes the team to future liability. I’m sure Littman and Overdorf, as responsible fidouchearies, have established loss reserves to account for future CTE lawsuits but avoiding the players with CTE would be far more responsible.

Its too late for Glenn, but Whaley should have Taylor and Gilmore assessed for CTE as soon as possible. I think Buffalo has an opportunity to get ahead of the game by testing all draft prospects for CTE. I’m sure CTE tests will be incorporated into the Combine soon (why not? They measure everything else.), but Buffalo has the inside track if they act now.

We don’t agree on much, but I think EVERYONE can agree on this! :thumbsup:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes....

You don't have to be dead, but you do have to surrender a portion of your brain.

What the hell are you talking about? Its kinda uncomfortable and stings for a day or two but they can do the test with a qtip now. You get the results in two weeks.

Just because you only hear about the dead guys they test doesn't mean you have to be dead to be tested. Medicine is constantly coming up with less invasive procedures.

I can take this thread much more serious because you wrote the OP in a serif font.

Does anyone want to address the actual content of my post are you going to focus on font and how tests have been administered to dead people?

What the hell are you talking about? Its kinda uncomfortable and stings for a day or two but they can do the test with a qtip now. You get the results in two weeks.

Just because you only hear about the dead guys they test doesn't mean you have to be dead to be tested. Medicine is constantly coming up with less invasive procedures.

I'm all for this. There may even be a link between early onset CTE and domestic violence. We should test for that too.

Does anyone want to address the actual content of my post are you going to focus on font and how tests have been administered to dead people?

If there's something I'm not aware of in terms of diagnosis, please enlighten me. I did read something abut tau proteins but I've really not seen anyone expand on that theory to this point.

At the core of it, every team and the league in general should do everything humanly possible to protect players (even if it's just from themselves).

If there's something I'm not aware of in terms of diagnosis, please enlighten me. I did read something abut tau proteins but I've really not seen anyone expand on that theory to this point.

At the core of it, every team and the league in general should do everything humanly possible to protect players (even if it's just from themselves).

That is exactly the reactionary approach that has led the league to be embroidered in scandal. I propose active testing rather than treatment once players have already contracted CTE.

Did you have to eat bean dip an hour before the test? Because I heard they did it post-hummus-ly.

Why not incentivize it for players? Play all years of the contract without signs of CTE, receive bonus.

CTE is the greatest threat to the future of the game. I think incentives and hazard clauses for contracts are another tool in the battle to eradicate CTE.

Exactly. Rex by all appearances seems to have happily given a large piece for testing. And he seems no worse than when he ran out the string for the Jets.

Totally doable for some guys...

I get that you guys are hung up on the fact that CTE testing has been almost exclusive performed on the deceased, but that doesn't mean that it isn't possible to test the living. 100% of rabies tests are conducted AFTER an animal goes nuts and needs to be put down, but that also doesn't mean you cannot test before. 100% of autopsies are performed on the deceased, but that still doesn't mean they cannot be performed on live patients.

It only means that accepted thinking has been not to perform CTE tests UNTIL something goes wrong. Of course they tested Junior Seau after he went nuts. Correlation is not causality. This reactionary thinking is why CTE has become the epidemic that it currently is.