Liberal Protests

B-Man

mrz070816dAPR20160708084516.jpg

The same people who literally blamed the NRA for the Orlando shooting while the blood was still being mopped up are today demanding that Black Lives Matter not be smeared by association with the violence in Dallas.
The people who blamed Sarah Palin’s use of crosshairs as a graphic-design element on a poster (“targeting” certain Democrats for electoral challenges) for the shooting of Gabby Giffords suddenly have nothing to say about violent and irresponsible rhetoric.
I myself hold to the view that we hold criminals responsible for their actions and that speeches given by third parties are generally, at most, tangential questions. Maybe your view is different, and that’s fine: But pick one.

Oh please wise and mighty Solomon, enlighten us with the long-term answers.

Please.

it's a start. presumably you are agreeing that there are fundamental problems with the fabric of American culture, through and through. agreed? without that premise established, there's no point discussing solutions.

Edited by birdog1960

it's a start. presumably you are agreeing that there are fundamental problems with the fabric of American culture, through and through. agreed? without that premise established, there's no point discussing solutions.

Oh there is a fundamental problem for sure, but I'm sure my idea of what's wrong and yours are fundamentally different.

Edited by joesixpack

Attorney General Loretta Lynch to make a statement on the shootings in Dallas at 11:30a, DOJ announces.

I think I've got this.....

"We may never know the REAL motivation of the shooters".....

Here is the type of thoughtful column.....................That I think Bird dog is getting at

The Uncomfortable Reason Why it Came to This in Dallas Yesterday

by Leon Wolf

Let me say this right off the bat: I don't at all condone any shooting police officers or attacking them in any way. I hope that the people responsible are caught and punished to the fullest extent of the law - which, given that the attacks appear to have been premeditated and directed at law enforcement, means the death penalty. I assume, given that these idiots chose to perpetrate their crime in Texas, that this is exactly what will happen.

Fine. Good, even.

Now let's take a step back and look at the forces that would drive someone to do something like this yesterday. Here's the reality that we don't often talk about - that societies are held together less by laws and force and threats of force than we are by ethereal and fragile concepts like mutual respect and belief in the justness of the system itself.

In America, there are 376 police officers per 100,000 citizens - or one police officer per every 266 citizens. Stop and think about that. Could every police officer in America maintain order over 266 unruly people who had no respect for him him or the badge he wields? Absolutely not. The only thing that makes the situation even a little bit tenable is that the vast majority of people never think about confronting or challenging a police officer, and instead get up each day with the commitment to live their lives peacefully and lawfully, because they believe a) that they live in a society that is basically just and b) they believe that the few policemen who do exist will be there to protect them if something goes wrong and c) they have faith, by and large, that if someone commits a crime against them, they will be caught and punished.

{snip}

Reasonable people can disagree about the prevalence of police brutality in America, and the extent to which race plays a factor in it. I don't think reasonable people can disagree that excessive police force is punished way less often than it actually happens. And that's the kind of problem that leads to people taking up guns and committing acts of violence - tragically (and with evil intent) against cops who as far as we know have done nothing wrong.

But people's willingness to act rationally and within the confines of the law and the political system is generally speaking directly proportional to their belief that the law and political system will ever punish wrongdoing. And right now, that belief is largely broken, especially in many minority communities.

And it's the blind, uncritical belief that the police never (or only in freak circumstances) do anything wrong that is a major contributing factor to that.

It's at least as much of a factor, if not more so, than the blind, uncritical belief that the police always do things wrong - which many conservatives today are blaming in entirety for what happened in Dallas.

The truth, as always, lies somewhere in the middle, but acknowledging that requires looking in the mirror in a way that makes us all a little uncomfortable.

Edited by B-Man

Oh there is a fundamental problem for sure, but I'm sure my idea of what's wrong and yours are fundamentally different.

you're probably correct. and therefore our solutions would be aimed at different problems. therefore, no point in discussing it. kinda like what's happening in Washington....

Edited by birdog1960

What do you guys thing about the celebrities fanning the flames the past few days? Has anyone seen Jesse Williams tweets? Or Serena's? John Legend is one of the few that seemed genuinely concerned and able to remain level headed about this weeks events. Kudos to him. Sure it's easy to dismiss what's said but that's ignoring the influence they have. IMO they should be ashamed of themselves for not using their platforms in a more productive way.

Attorney General Loretta Lynch to make a statement on the shootings in Dallas at 11:30a, DOJ announces.

I think I've got this.....

"We may never know the REAL motivation of the shooters".....

Here is the type of thoughtful column.....................That I think Bird dog is getting at

The Uncomfortable Reason Why it Came to This in Dallas Yesterday

by Leon Wolf

Let me say this right off the bat: I don't at all condone any shooting police officers or attacking them in any way. I hope that the people responsible are caught and punished to the fullest extent of the law - which, given that the attacks appear to have been premeditated and directed at law enforcement, means the death penalty. I assume, given that these idiots chose to perpetrate their crime in Texas, that this is exactly what will happen.

Fine. Good, even.

Now let's take a step back and look at the forces that would drive someone to do something like this yesterday. Here's the reality that we don't often talk about - that societies are held together less by laws and force and threats of force than we are by ethereal and fragile concepts like mutual respect and belief in the justness of the system itself.

In America, there are 376 police officers per 100,000 citizens - or one police officer per every 266 citizens. Stop and think about that. Could every police officer in America maintain order over 266 unruly people who had no respect for him him or the badge he wields? Absolutely not. The only thing that makes the situation even a little bit tenable is that the vast majority of people never think about confronting or challenging a police officer, and instead get up each day with the commitment to live their lives peacefully and lawfully, because they believe a) that they live in a society that is basically just and b) they believe that the few policemen who do exist will be there to protect them if something goes wrong and c) they have faith, by and large, that if someone commits a crime against them, they will be caught and punished.

{snip}

Reasonable people can disagree about the prevalence of police brutality in America, and the extent to which race plays a factor in it. I don't think reasonable people can disagree that excessive police force is punished way less often than it actually happens. And that's the kind of problem that leads to people taking up guns and committing acts of violence - tragically (and with evil intent) against cops who as far as we know have done nothing wrong.

But people's willingness to act rationally and within the confines of the law and the political system is generally speaking directly proportional to their belief that the law and political system will ever punish wrongdoing. And right now, that belief is largely broken, especially in many minority communities.

And it's the blind, uncritical belief that the police never (or only in freak circumstances) do anything wrong that is a major contributing factor to that.

It's at least as much of a factor, if not more so, than the blind, uncritical belief that the police always do things wrong - which many conservatives today are blaming in entirety for what happened in Dallas.

The truth, as always, lies somewhere in the middle, but acknowledging that requires looking in the mirror in a way that makes us all a little uncomfortable.

I think this is way off topic. it's more about the pervasiveness of racism, classism and informal caste structures throughout society. the underclass has become much too large. too many people see no hope. but I agree that order is dependent on mutual respect, belief in fundamental fairness and hope. those things are in short supply in much of America right now.

I don't believe it's about the police per se. they are just the misidentified symbols of unfairness in the country and the most accessible authority figures. As I've said before the unrest will hit the gated communities last even though those that hold significant blame often reside in them.

Edited by birdog1960

I think this is way off topic. it's more about the pervasiveness of racism, classism and informal caste structures throughout society. the underclass has become much too large. too many people see no hope. but I agree that order is dependent on mutual respect, belief in fundamental fairness and hope. those things are in short supply in much of America right now.

I could've sworn our last President was Hope personified.

Police say public demonstrations welcome.

"We're not going to let a coward who would ambush police officers change our democracy. Our city, our country is better than that"

-- Dallas Police Chief David Brown

brown.jpeg?resize=600%2C310

This is what we need more of.

Cm2SmaJW8AAcIjp.jpg

7P5jjoOF_bigger.jpgGayPatriot™@GayPatriot 2h2 hours ago

I'm tired of political and media hacks saying "Come together." It's empty, liberal jibberish from them.

They thrive on Balkanization.

The difference between Orlando and Dallas?

One was a mass murder inspired by rhetoric from a twisted ideology of hate.

The other was for ISIS.

stymied at nearly every turn on social issue with one big exception.

Yes, well, some people are just incapable of being leaders and unifiers.

Unfortunately we needed to elect Obama to find out what wasn't in him. If only rhetoric could lead.

Edited by LABillzFan

Congressional Black Caucus pours fuel on the fire with incendiary threat: No gun ban, no peace.

cZjPh8eP_bigger.png Sky NewsVerified account @SkyNews 2h2 hours ago

Congressional Black Caucus on Dallas, Sterling and Castile: "If we fail to act this will be a long hot summer"

Probably the first (and only) time that I have agreed with Mr. Jones.

Good for him for saying it.

s_q22z2H_bigger.jpg Van JonesVerified account @VanJones68 3h3 hours ago

Van Jones Retweeted Lilly Bell

Dallas ambush of police was a racially motivated hate crime and an act of terrorism. Period.

What do you guys thing about the celebrities fanning the flames the past few days? Has anyone seen Jesse Williams tweets? Or Serena's? John Legend is one of the few that seemed genuinely concerned and able to remain level headed about this weeks events. Kudos to him. Sure it's easy to dismiss what's said but that's ignoring the influence they have. IMO they should be ashamed of themselves for not using their platforms in a more productive way.

I'm serious when I say that Twitter is going to be the death of this country.

I'm serious when I say that Twitter is going to be the death of this country.

Twitter is far worse than MSM, which says it all. Persons of influential power can speak freely and reach all the little crevasses of society. There is no disguising it as debate panels or passing it off as breaking news. Just log in, spew your opinions, and watch the masses spiral into a frenzy.

Joe Blow said such and such.

Oh Shiiiiiiiiit now Serena is saying it. See man I told you, things about to get lit.

This is how mindless thoughts derived in zombie land end up affecting others.

248 black people died in 2015 from police shootings, a lot of which are justified. Some are not.

468 white people died in 2015 from police shootings, a lot of which are justified. Some are not.

Let's say that 10% of these shootings were unjustified, I think that's fair.

So 25 black people were killed.

And 47 white people were killed.

Granted there are 5 times as many whites as blacks in this country, but let's take out the white factor. If there are 5 times as many whites, there should be 1/5 the number of black unjustified shootings in a ratio to unjustified white shootings. So 1/5 of 47 is roughly 10.

we are talking about maximum potential of 15 cases of racism. Out of one million police officers.

This isn't including any potential factors such as higher interaction with police, or any of the other factors that could explain these 15 cases.

Nope systemic racism all the way. The police have to go, right?

Edit: Also this is all BS, because we shouldn't be complaining about the equality of :censored: unjustified shootings. If unjustified shootings are a problem, then let's get the Police better training. Nope, we don't want to pay for it. I love the idea that the additional white lives lost from unjustified shootings don't matter at all because they aren't in the appropriate proportions to demographics. So :censored: stupid.

Edited by What a Tuel

most liked comment on nyt report on the murders:

America is becoming Afghanistan.

People are armed to the teeth with high power military style weapons.
Anyone can buy guns just about anywhere.
No restrictions on ammunition purchases.
Armor piercing ammo is readily available.
Many states now have both open carry and conceal carry and many of those do not require a permit or any training.
Law enforcement is terrified of the pubic.
The public is terrified of law enforcement.
The government through police brutality openly oppresses certain minorities.
Politicians have lost respect for law enforcement when they don't get a politically desired conviction.
We have state sanctioned dungeons called prisons that are busting at the seams from overcrowding.
We do nothing to counter massive inequality and hopelessness which breeds contempt and lack of respect for government.
We are on the verge of electing a demagogue for president who knows nothing but talks tough and rails against everything.
His opponent ignores legal requirements of office for convenience.
Congress is completely dysfunctional, accomplishes nothing and thinks its job is to gum up the works so no problems can be addressed. This is done in opposition to the duly elected leader whom whey have no respect for.
Mass shootings have become commonplace.

About the only hurdle left are roadside IEDs and suicide car bombs.

All because of politics, fanatic ideology, corruption in the form of campaign financing and lobbyists, and a misinterpreted 2nd amendment.

Edited by birdog1960

most liked comment on nyt report on the murders:

America is becoming Afghanistan.

People are armed to the teeth with high power military style weapons.

Anyone can buy guns just about anywhere.

No restrictions on ammunition purchases.

Armor piercing ammo is readily available.

Many states now have both open carry and conceal carry and many of those do not require a permit or any training.

Law enforcement is terrified of the pubic.

The public is terrified of law enforcement.

The government through police brutality openly oppresses certain minorities.

Politicians have lost respect for law enforcement when they don't get a politically desired conviction.

We have state sanctioned dungeons called prisons that are busting at the seams from overcrowding.

We do nothing to counter massive inequality and hopelessness which breeds contempt and lack of respect for government.

We are on the verge of electing a demagogue for president who knows nothing but talks tough and rails against everything.

His opponent ignores legal requirements of office for convenience.

Congress is completely dysfunctional, accomplishes nothing and thinks its job is to gum up the works so no problems can be addressed. This is done in opposition to the duly elected leader whom whey have no respect for.

Mass shootings have become commonplace.

About the only hurdle left are roadside IEDs and suicide car bombs.

All because of politics, fanatic ideology, corruption in the form of campaign financing and lobbyists, and a misinterpreted 2nd amendment.

You've got to be kidding me. And you agree with this nonsense? Some of it is ok, but it is off the rails big time for the most part. edit: And by some of it, I say probably just the thing about Trump, and Congress.

...It's almost as if they are comparing spleen surgery to shoulder surgery.

Edited by What a Tuel