Here's some sportsmanship for ya

When the score is like that, why dont they just go to a live clock? You know, keep the clock running (even when the ball goes out).

Should the NFL let the clock keep running when the score is 35-3 on a game in January 1993?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should the NFL let the clock keep running when the score is 35-3 on a game in January 1993?

No. Because that's only really like a 5-0 score. AND, there was no talent disparity between the Oilers & Bills...

In Lax it is up by 12 that they run the clock on. Now, if the Bills game was 87-3... I would say yes.

No. Because that's only really like a 5-0 score. AND, there was no talent disparity between the Oilers & Bills...

In Lax it is up by 12 that they run the clock on. Now, if the Bills game was 87-3... I would say yes.

Also, keep in mind the difference between professional athletes (best at their craft, paid, adults) and high school kids.

Actually, maybe the winning team should have forfeit the game near the end.... Let this other team see what it feels like to experience victory....

Better yet, at halftime, set up an impromptu split-squad scrimmage where the two teams mix and use the second half for a teaching experience for the good players and a learning experience for all of them.

Better yet, at halftime, set up an impromptu split-squad scrimmage where the two teams mix and use the second half for a teaching experience for the good players and a learning experience for all of them.

My post was a sarcastic piece of trash, but this would be a good idea- probably better suited for intramural type leagues, but as I recall they try to evenly distribute the ability levels...

My post was a sarcastic piece of trash, but this would be a good idea- probably better suited for intramural type leagues, but as I recall they try to evenly distribute the ability levels...

I knew you were being sarcastic. Unfortunately, others would consider this contributing to the "pussification" of America. All we are sayin', is give peace a chance!

What misery? You lost a GAME. If that has a serious effect on you, the real world is going to kick your ass.

This is very true

I don't think harm to the kids has been argued (or at least not by me). What's been argued is was it right for the coach to run up the score and whether anyone learned anything from the experience, but carry on.

I don't think harm to the kids has been argued (or at least not by me). What's been argued is was it right for the coach to run up the score and whether anyone learned anything from the experience, but carry on.

I don't want to seem like I am shifting gears, but I wouldn't have done what he did if I were faced with the same situation. That being said, I'm not one to support the "coddle our youth" theory...

I don't want to seem like I am shifting gears, but I wouldn't have done what he did if I were faced with the same situation. That being said, I'm not one to support the "coddle our youth" theory...

Where is this "coddle," line drawn, though?

I don't think many parents support over-coddling. I certainly don't. I think, as adults charged with coaching a team of children, a coach's responsibility is a lot more than winning a game. The primary focus, in my opinion, should be teaching valuable life skills via the sport.

Mutual respect, consideration and compassion would be taught by not doing what that coach did. What he taught his team is to kick a man while he's down. I, for one, would never want my son to live by that rule.

Does everyone realize this was a playoff game with high schoolers?

These aren't 10 year olds. The games matter more. Maybe this team was practicing running new parts of their offense for their next game. We have no idea.

I see no reason to think there was any malice.

Edited by FireChan

I know, I've met your kids.

In all seriousness, neither am I. I've launched 2 very well adjusted young adults and have a third in the torpedo tubes.

I realize the coach kept his starters in and this beatdown was way worse than my example but in some circumstances there's not much you can do. I had a game with my middle school girls this year which was for 3rd place in our conference. The girls had lost the previous week (in ugly meltdown fashion) which kept them out of the championship game. They were pissed at themselves and they took it out on the team we played the following week. It was 22-2 at halftime the other team's 2 came as the buzzer went off to end the 2nd quarter. They went on to win 38-7. All 9 girls played more than a quarter and my best 3 players sat basically the entire second half. We didn't press at all the entire game but they defended in the half court really really well and forced a ton of turnovers. By the middle of the 3rd quarter the whole bench is in and they're still killing them defensively. What do you say to them? "Girls I know you've practiced hard all year and you play a lot less than the other girls and even though this is your chance to play a lot of minutes in a game don't try too hard to score and let them get a couple baskets."?? That doesn't feel right either.

I realize the coach kept his starters in and this beatdown was way worse than my example but in some circumstances there's not much you can do. I had a game with my middle school girls this year which was for 3rd place in our conference. The girls had lost the previous week (in ugly meltdown fashion) which kept them out of the championship game. They were pissed at themselves and they took it out on the team we played the following week. It was 22-2 at halftime the other team's 2 came as the buzzer went off to end the 2nd quarter. They went on to win 38-7. All 9 girls played more than a quarter and my best 3 players sat basically the entire second half. We didn't press at all the entire game but they defended in the half court really really well and forced a ton of turnovers. By the middle of the 3rd quarter the whole bench is in and they're still killing them defensively. What do you say to them? "Girls I know you've practiced hard all year and you play a lot less than the other girls and even though this is your chance to play a lot of minutes in a game don't try too hard to score and let them get a couple baskets."?? That doesn't feel right either.

Because it isn't right.