People are addicted to their phone

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually work out at a health club early in the morning every day before going to the office.

And, at that time of day, there are not a lot of people there, so you get to notice the "regulars" who show up there.

There is one guy who's there all of the time who is addicted to his cell phone.

I watched him this morning for several minutes, and here is what he did:

• Sat on a workout bench, staring at his cell phone for 30 seconds, scrolling with his thumb
  • Did one set of lat pulldowns
  • Sat on a workout bench, staring at his cell phone for 30 seconds, scrolling with his thumb
  • Did a second set of lat pulldowns
  • Walked over to the drinking fountain, while staring at his cell phone, scrolling with his thumb
  • Got a drink of water
  • Walked over to the leg press machine, while staring at his cell phone, scrolling with his thumb
  • Set down his phone and put weights on the machine
  • Picked up his phone and sat down on the leg press machine, while staring at his cell phone, scrolling with his thumb
  • Did one set of leg presses
  • Picked up his phone while sitting on the leg press machine, staring at his cell phone, scrolling with his thumb
  • Did a second set of leg presses
  • Stood up, picked up his cell phone, walked over to the drinking fountain, while staring at his cell phone, scrolling with his thumb
  • Got a drink of water
  • Walked over to the row machine, while staring at his cell phone, scrolling with his thumb
  • Did a set of rows
  • Sat on the row machine for two minutes, while staring at his cell phone, scrolling with his thumb
  • Did a second set of rows
  • Sat on the row machine for two minutes, while staring at his cell phone, scrolling with his thumb
And this is a 4:30 a.m. on a Saturday morning!

real organized workout there: lat pull downs, leg press and rows :lol: ... :doh: ... :bag:

He's texting about the creepy guy staring at him at the gym?

In this guy's defense & working out w/his phone... Maybe he records it all and tracks everything?

I use "S Health" on my Galaxy S6... It goes everywhere w/me recording my steps, exercise, check pulse rate, etc... I suppose there are ton of better health & fitness apps w/a lot more features...

Update: Guy got his job back, in exchange for dropping the discrimination lawsuit. Got a warning instead. Returned yesterday.

Basically got a month of unpaid vacation. (although the "unpaid" part is still under discussion). He does have a point, since the company backtracked so fast on the termination.

...and still no sticker. :lol:

Update: Guy got his job back, in exchange for dropping the discrimination lawsuit. Got a warning instead. Returned yesterday.

Basically got a month of unpaid vacation. (although the "unpaid" part is still under discussion). He does have a point, since the company backtracked so fast on the termination.

...and still no sticker. :lol:

How is this discrimination?

The sticker policy only applies to minorities?

Doesn't matter. If you're a minority, EEOC always takes your side.

Worked with a guy once, he didn't show up for work for a week. No calls, no notice, just didn't show up. Was fired, of course...and filed a complaint with the EEOC, claiming he was fired because he was black. Company had to settle for $40k.

The sticker policy only applies to minorities?

On a related note, they just told us that the sticker policy now applies to all phones, everywhere in the facility. (although I doubt they will enforce it unless they move the checkpoint to the parking lot.)

All the Sneeches get stars!

Edited by unbillievable

Doesn't matter. If you're a minority, EEOC always takes your side.

Worked with a guy once, he didn't show up for work for a week. No calls, no notice, just didn't show up. Was fired, of course...and filed a complaint with the EEOC, claiming he was fired because he was black. Company had to settle for $40k.

Oh, I'm familiar. I was with a small, unfunded company in lower Manhattan fearing a post 9-11 downturn in business (not to mention we needed to evacuate our building and find a new place to work for 3 months) so we laid off a couple people we didn't need. It turned out one of them, "Paul" -- whose job we clearly demonstrated was permanently eliminated due to tech improvements and overlapping responsibilities -- was born in Syria.

The EEOC came in and with as much arrogance as possible let us know we'd be an example to others who dared let go any employees with Middle Eastern heritage for any reason. $90K (18 months pay).

Oh, I'm familiar. I was with a small, unfunded company in lower Manhattan fearing a post 9-11 downturn in business (not to mention we needed to evacuate our building and find a new place to work for 3 months) so we laid off a couple people we didn't need. It turned out one of them, "Paul" -- whose job we clearly demonstrated was permanently eliminated due to tech improvements and overlapping responsibilities -- was born in Syria.

The EEOC came in and with as much arrogance as possible let us know we'd be an example to others who dared let go any employees with Middle Eastern heritage for any reason. $90K (18 months pay).

It's **** like this that's why I'm building a mountain supervillain lair.

And who is doing the manual labor on this Uberfortress? I certainly hope they are of the local variety

Of course.

I mean, I was considering Southeast Asian slave labor. Because...y'know...supervillain lair. But you just can't trust the quality control. When you're pouring the ferro-concrete foundation for your bomb-proof underground control bunker, you don't want to leave it up to some 12 year old from Bangladesh. You want to know it's built to last.

I mean, I was considering Southeast Asian slave labor. Because...y'know...supervillain lair. But you just can't trust the quality control. When you're pouring the ferro-concrete foundation for your bomb-proof underground control bunker, you don't want to leave it up to some 12 year old from Bangladesh. You want to know it's built to last.

Don't forget to have a ventilation shaft that is only locked with a cheap padlock so the good guys (or Beerball) can get in easily.

Back on phones, just a couple weeks ago HR where I worked had to send out a company wide email reminding people that it's great to always be working, but having a conversation on your phone in the bathroom is really not appropriate.

In this world of multi-tasking, it has come to our attention that some of us are taking advantage of our “bio-break” time to make cell phone calls from the restrooms. While anyone can appreciate the resourcefulness and time-saving act, the person in dire need of the restroom for its original intended use, may not agree (which could be you at some point). In addition, if the idea of being in a small enclosed room feels like it is providing some level privacy, it is not.

:doh:

That's it, from here on out I'm only hiring straight white men. I need to get this in writing and into action ASAP.