Philly reporter takes shots at Buffalo

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

went to Gooey Looie's, holy cow, what a place, it's a little hole in the wall C-Store hidden in an out of the way strip plaza, not sure how anyone stumbles upon this place. Deli counter in the back maybe 6 feet wide, so very small. Hoagies and Steaks are 8-9 bucks and they are enormous. I mistakenly ordered my Steak with everything, not knowing everything meant pickles, catsup etc....i am glad i didn't know it because when i tasted it i was very pleased, it was delish. my one son ordered a bologna hoagie, as the guy handed it to me, he whispered he had run out of bologna so he took a buck off the price. I know why he ran out of bologna, he put enough on his hoagie for 3 sammys. My other son ordered an italian hoagie, best tasting and seasoned italian hoagie i have EVER tried. Just unreal how you can have places hidden away like that, they should be the ones reaping all the benefits that the touristy places get.

going to check out a cheesesteak place I haven't been to yet in South Philly, Gooey Looie's, supposed to be very good, have hit most of the must to places, still have this and D'Allesandro's to check out. Heading to see the Who so we'll pregame with some steaks and hoagies. again, i have said it before, the best cheesesteak in town doesn't hold a candle to a Dinic's Roast Pork in Reading Terminal Market.

i know, but it really wasn't horrible with all the other flavors. won't order it again, but i thoroughly enjoyed it

let me clarify, when i said steaks i was referring to cheesesteaks, not slab of meat steaks....sorry if that was confusing

Ketchup on steak? WTF?!

Edited by The Poojer

went to Gooey Looie's, holy cow, what a place, it's a little hole in the wall C-Store hidden in an out of the way strip plaza, not sure how anyone stumbles upon this place. Deli counter in the back maybe 6 feet wide, so very small. Hoagies and Steaks are 8-9 bucks and they are enormous. I mistakenly ordered my Steak with everything, not knowing everything meant pickles, catsup etc....i am glad i didn't know it because when i tasted it i was very pleased, it was delish. my one son ordered a bologna hoagie, as the guy handed it to me, he whispered he had run out of bologna so he took a buck off the price. I know why he ran out of bologna, he put enough on his hoagie for 3 sammys. My other son ordered an italian hoagie, best tasting and seasoned italian hoagie i have EVER tried. Just unreal how you can have places hidden away like that, they should be the ones reaping all the benefits that the touristy places get.

Gems are everywhere, but right in front of you it seems !

Great story poojer !!

we have a couple of " holes in the wall" in Rochester. Gotta ask the locals whats good to find treasure

Even though I love Buffalo, I gotta say the writer is correct about there's not much to do... That is for a multi million dollar athlete looking to have some fun at a young age.

I think Schwartz is doing a good job with his 3 ex-Bills in Philly.

As much as i'd like to admit that, it sucks that we might face another disappointing year cuz of the Ryans' schemes. Could make or break the team. I vote on the latter in all honesty.

However, as a die-hard Bills fan, I hope i'm completely wrong!!!

Also Sorry- philly has far more and far better restaurants than Buffalo. Foodies put it in the top 10 almost everywhere you look. B-Lo has some solid food pride too, but come on here...

Anyway, I wonder what a buffalo wing cheesesteak would taste like?

You are the only person I have encountered that has said Philly has better food and far better restaurants. My neighbor lived there for 10 years and has nothing nice to say about any food there. His wife is from there and says buffalo's is better.

$100 Chick-fil-A orders at the airport every time we land. Because it's the only food we will eat there. The cheese steaks are average(they were comparable to one my son gets at sabres games). We went to Pats, genos, one I don't remember the name just outside downtown, and one at the airport.

the best food we've had there was compare able to good food I've had in other areas of the country. I wouldn't put it anywhere near top 10 though.

buffalo wing cheese steak sounds amazing

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

and what treasures are ye hiding up yonder?

Depends and what ye seek ?

Found another hole in the wall BBq joint on Monroe ave. Rochester

I have not had catfish like that since a visit to Georgia in previous lifetime. and the dipping sauce took me back to my youth

Hardly know it was there without smelling it from down the street.

CdbtVh2UMAAmdgj.jpg

My reaction: WGAS!

Spot on except for the "tremendous Anchor bar wings".Not only is that place in the middle of a war zone the wings don't even make it on the top ten list in Buffalo IMO.Actually the best wings I ever had were in Boston Mass. after a Sabres- Bruins game at the Garden at Larry Birds bar.

Edited by Very wide right

@BuffaloRising

Buffalo is making the rounds again in media circles. The city has been pinpointed as a major up and comer - one...proxy.jpg?t=HBhVaHR0cDovL3d3dy5idWZmYWxv

I keep hearing this.Could you be more specific about this amazing renaissance? I remember the "Buffalos got the spirit, talkin proud ,talkin proud PR campaign going around years ago that amounted to nothing.With the exception of a few curbs and some routine road construction around the Swannie house I really don't see it.High unemployment,high welfare still plague western NY and other than some new hotels downtown around the arena there doesn't seem to be much private investment here.

I keep hearing this.Could you be more specific about this amazing renaissance? I remember the "Buffalos got the spirit, talkin proud ,talkin proud PR campaign going around years ago that amounted to nothing.With the exception of a few curbs and some routine road construction around the Swannie house I really don't see it.High unemployment,high welfare still plague western NY and other than some new hotels downtown around the arena there doesn't seem to be much private investment here.

Sounds like you need to do research for yourself to become more informed.

Sounds like you need to do research for yourself to become more informed.

26, Due to my business I'm in the city at least 5 times a week for the last 30 years and I would consider myself well informed of the goings on in Buffalo.I also travel extensively in the United states and I have seen the best and worst this country has to offer as far as cities go.You have stated that our city is a "major up and comer" so I merely asked you to expand.

26, Due to my business I'm in the city at least 5 times a week for the last 30 years and I would consider myself well informed of the goings on in Buffalo.I also travel extensively in the United states and I have seen the best and worst this country has to offer as far as cities go.You have stated that our city is a "major up and comer" so I merely asked you to expand.

First of all, I stated nothing. I linked to a published article that stated that. I personally know that the energy and insurance industries are expanding in the WNY area.

Taking shots at Buffalo is unnecessarily unkind.

I visit Buffalo with my non-Buffalonian wife and kids every couple years. We find things to do and enjoy our stays there.

Do any of us actually want to live there? Sadly, no. The weather is cold, the buildings are old, and the economy is slow. And I really enjoy the diversity and quality of ethnic restaurants we have here on the West Coast which Buffalo just can't match.

But the transformation of Canalside is a wonder and hopefully a sign of things to come.

If I was a billionaire like Pegs, I'd take a strong interest in preserving Buffalo's historical architecture. It's a shame that some of the mansions on Millionaires Row have already been torn down. And the old Century Theater. And bisecting Delaware Park with the Scajaquada Expressway was a monumental mistake. It would be great if part of Buffalo's "renaissance" included the restoration and preservation of some of the city's past beauty. But it would also be great to see new, modern buildings rise downtown.

If I was an athlete, I'd probably rather live in San Diego, LA, San Francisco, Seattle, Miami and a few other NFL cities. But if signed by the Bills, I'd easily find reasons to enjoy the place, and the ardor of our fans would probably be the biggest reason.

Taking shots at Buffalo is unnecessarily unkind.

I visit Buffalo with my non-Buffalonian wife and kids every couple years. We find things to do and enjoy our stays there.

Do any of us actually want to live there? Sadly, no. The weather is cold, the buildings are old, and the economy is slow. And I really enjoy the diversity and quality of ethnic restaurants we have here on the West Coast which Buffalo just can't match.

But the transformation of Canalside is a wonder and hopefully a sign of things to come.

If I was a billionaire like Pegs, I'd take a strong interest in preserving Buffalo's historical architecture. It's a shame that some of the mansions on Millionaires Row have already been torn down. And the old Century Theater. And bisecting Delaware Park with the Scajaquada Expressway was a monumental mistake. It would be great if part of Buffalo's "renaissance" included the restoration and preservation of some of the city's past beauty. But it would also be great to see new, modern buildings rise downtown.

If I was an athlete, I'd probably rather live in San Diego, LA, San Francisco, Seattle, Miami and a few other NFL cities. But if signed by the Bills, I'd easily find reasons to enjoy the place, and the ardor of our fans would probably be the biggest reason.

This is a fair comment and i think most would agree.