Does anyone feel like the roster can be better this year?

Virgil

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about depth. I like proven backups over guys off the street or the 6th round of the draft. Whaley's record for drafting lineman has been abysmal. Miller might work out, but Kujo and Richardson have been busts.

When the team actually spends a top pick on an offensive line player they have generally panned out. Eric Wood was a second #1 pick and Levitre was a second #2 pick. Cordy Glenn was a #2 pick and so far Cujo with a 2nd pick is a bust. What does it say about Henderson and Kounandjio when a guy like Jordan Mills comes in off the street and plays as well as the starter and backup.

The Bills were incredibly lucky to find an all pro OG (Incognito) just sitting there off the street to fill in and it's good that they signed him for another three years.

The thing is if they really want a high chance of a decent player for the line at RT-RG they will need to take them in the first or second round. Alas, it looks like this year those first few picks will be spent on the defense for Rex.

What do you mean by crush the draft? The draft can't cure the problems with this team in one year. Long term sure...

You might get one maybe two players if you are lucky that can impact the team in meaningful ways out of this years draft to fill holes in 2016.

Look at what Whaley did last year. Got three meaningful contributors in 2nd, 3rd, 5th round. This draft is supposed to be deep at DE so if they can get a few key players in the draft that can play meaningful snaps there is a chance the roster could be better (but still unlikely)

Edited by TheBillsBlues

The team was built to win last year.

The organization acknowledged this. The defense took a big step back.

Nobody in the organization nor the fans thought the defense would need a complete overhaul the following year thanks to the ineptitude of our head coach.

This is suddenly ok because it's his 2nd year here?

You'd be ok with another 8-8 season?

You're making a lot of assumptions with this post.

Last season was a disappointment, I've been saying that since they were eliminated from the playoffs.

That still doesn't take away from the fact that it was the Pegula's first year owning the team and we're only in their second full off season.

They have? I like Leo and Bradham more than most but neither were irreplaceable. Mario is all world in potential but on the field his production is replaceable for far cheaper. Hogan? Meh. Ubrik? Meh. This team is returning 11 starters on offense for the first time in a good while, another year in Roman's system and a full off season with Taylor as the #1 QB should all help the offense gel. The defense was a mess last year, losing Mario, Leo and Bradham (two out of three weren't good fits to begin with) won't be the death blow for the defense. They absolutely need to hit in the draft, but that was always going to be the case. I'm convinced they are capable of finding one if not two day one starters in this draft on the defensive side of the ball.

I agree they should be able to find some starters in the draft. My point is they lost talent (not necessarily good fits for the team) in Williams, Bradham and the others. Were any of them great last year for Buffalo? No. But they do have talent and with Buffalo's limited cap space they cannot replace them in FA. So they must do it in the draft which is the best place to do it in the first place. So no, I don't feel the roster will be more "talented" next year but yes I do expect the team to be "better" next season.

The team was built to win last year.

The organization acknowledged this. The defense took a big step back.

Nobody in the organization nor the fans thought the defense would need a complete overhaul the following year thanks to the ineptitude of our head coach.

This is suddenly ok because it's his 2nd year here?

You'd be ok with another 8-8 season?

What's even more disturbing is that even after a dreadfull year on defense the FO wants to keep Ryan, hire his brother and allow a complete revamping of the defense with an all pro front four. So, after this plan fails the team will decide to change course again next year or the year after and start rebuilding the defense again.

I agree they should be able to find some starters in the draft. My point is they lost talent (not necessarily good fits for the team) in Williams, Bradham and the others. Were any of them great last year for Buffalo? No. But they do have talent and with Buffalo's limited cap space they cannot replace them in FA. So they must do it in the draft which is the best place to do it in the first place. So no, I don't feel the roster will be more "talented" next year but yes I do expect the team to be "better" next season.

:beer:

What's even more disturbing is that even after a dreadfull year on defense the FO wants to keep Ryan, hire his brother and allow a complete revamping of the defense with an all pro front four. So, after this plan fails the team will decide to change course again next year or the year after and start rebuilding the defense again.

There's another possibility... that the plan works and Rex brings the defense back from the dead.

The excuses are hilarious.

Wait only 2nd year of "new" regime. Patience damn it!

Stop making sense. People get upset.

I hate being a realist when realism seems like pessimism.

But watching what Rex did with the D last year, and now watching the exodus of quality backups with no influx of talent to counterbalance it, it's hard to be optimistic right now.

I agree with that. What scares me going into this year is Rex Ryan's scheme coupled with the worst LB core in the NFL. We need at least one LB to hit in the draft

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

They weren't going to fire Rex after one year.

They should've never hired him to begin with but what's done is done.

They will do whatever possible to get Rex the players he needs... Do I think it will work? I doubt it.

This year looks like another 6-10 to 8-8 season. If that happens it will be interesting to see if he survives it.

He needs to have a very good season as a coach for this team to have any shot at the playoffs.

What a revelation! Eureka!

I agree with that. What scares me going into this year is Rex Ryan's scheme coupled with the worst LB core in the NFL. We need at least one LB to hit in the draft

Yup LB and DE would be the first two picks if I was GM. They need at least two more decent LB's on the roster.

People always find a way to ignore the facts to make themselves feel better about something. That's been the case for Bills fans for several years.

Like I said, Rex is going to have to have one hell of a year for this team to compete.

That is a interesting take

I think it is more like people like you need something to B word about year in and year out

They weren't going to fire Rex after one year.

They should've never hired him to begin with but what's done is done.

They will do whatever possible to get Rex the players he needs... Do I think it will work? I doubt it.

This year looks like another 6-10 to 8-8 season. If that happens it will be interesting to see if he survives it.

He needs to have a very good season as a coach for this team to have any shot at the playoffs.

Hey, it could happen.

But for some reason, this reminds me of 2010 all over again with the team switching from Jauron's 4-3 to Edwards and his 3-4 then realizing the talent didn't fit the player talent and then try and go back to the 4-3 again.

What's Mike Pettine doing these days and will he be brought in for the 2017 season?

I think the OP's question will be determined by our ability to get some better linebackers. Rex's system thrives when it has good linebacker play whereas Schwartz is geared more towards the D-line pressure. Our LBs are not up to snuff and I would rather have someone other than Brown calling the shots in the middle. IMO we need a NT and an ILB in the worst way.

Yup LB and DE would be the first two picks if I was GM. They need at least two more decent LB's on the roster.

I agree the Team needs two more LBs above and beyond Tarpley Riddick and Powell.

Now they need 2 DTs with Charles gone. And I dont think Wynn and Valles are viable starters to replace Mario. Does Carrington stay Healthy this year?

This is a critical year for drafting.

Bills are getting better at it though i will admit that.

I am afraid it is going to come down to Coaching on the D side. I have mixed emotions about that still.

I think the OP's question will be determined by our ability to get some better linebackers. Rex's system thrives when it has good linebacker play whereas Schwartz is geared more towards the D-line pressure. Our LBs are not up to snuff and I would rather have someone other than Brown calling the shots in the middle. IMO we need a NT and an ILB in the worst way.

LBs do have a much different role in a Rexy D. I think Brown will step up though. But as i mentioned and agreed with folks , Bills need to score in the draft at LB.

I can see them going for one at 19 if they like what is there well enough.

jeses Bills need more picks in the middle rounds

Edited by 3rdand12

I agree the Team needs two more LBs above and beyond Tarpley Riddick and Powell.

Now they need 2 DTs with Charles gone. And I dont think Wynn and Valles are viable starters to replace Mario. Does Carrington stay Healthy this year?

This is a critical year for drafting.

Bills are getting better at it though i will admit that.

I am afraid it is going to come down to Coaching on the D side. I have mixed emotions about that still.

LBs do have a much different role in a Rexy D. I think Brown will step up though. But as i mentioned and agreed with folks , Bills need to score in the draft at LB.

I can see them going for one at 19 if they like what is there well enough.

jeses Bills need more picks in the middle rounds

Whaley thinks very highly of Valles for whatever that's worth.