Teddy Bruschi had a stroke

/dev/null

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll ask the question. Is he going to be able to play football again? Anyone have any clue about this? just wondering. I hope he is going to be ok and all. But, my boss is a huge Pats fan and was wondering about this yesterday. I was just curious if after something this serious in your life happens is it medically safe to play the game again. I told him I didn't think so . Any doctors here?

I'll ask the question.  Is he going to be able to play football again?  Anyone have any clue about this?  just wondering.  I hope he is going to be ok and all.  But, my boss is a huge Pats fan and was wondering about this yesterday.  I was just curious if after something this serious in your life happens is it medically safe to play the game again.  I told him I didn't think so .  Any doctors here?

244814[/snapback]

I imagine it is impossible to accurately answer that question this soon after the incident. While he may be healthy enough to play, he may decide that it is time to spend more time with the family: in essence a wake-up call to make changes in his life.

I imagine that nobody knows at this point.

can't believe this is the first time this was posted today. I was gonna make a thread, but figured a board nazi would tell me there was already one buried on the 4th page that i should have found..... but i digress

As soon as i heard about his stroke this morning I was wondering the same thing above posters have.

How in the world does a guy his age have a stroke? There have to be statistics out there that can give us a number per 100,000 people his age that have a stroke. Plus, the guy obviously doesn't smoke or eat crap food - something smells fishy here.

All that being said, I hope the best for him, and a speedy recovery.

I imagine it is impossible to accurately answer that question this soon after the incident. While he may be healthy enough to play, he may decide that it is time to spend more time with the family: in essence a wake-up call to make changes in his life.

244816[/snapback]

If he does have to retire, it may be easier having the satisfaction of winning three SB championships in the last four years.

Here's hoping he regains his health!

244816[/snapback]

Thanks. It was conversation yesterday at work and we were just wondering. I feel for his two younger boys. We were just wondering if it was just a larger risk if he kept playing. Because I know the circumstances that lead up to a stroke and it seems like playing football wouldn't be good. My boss also said roids. And it kinda got me thinking about it too. Who knows.

My former boss had a stroke at the age of 37. He is a Marine and was a marathon runner. It turns out he had a congenital heart defect, and had to have open heart surgery. I'm not sure if this is the reason for Teddy's stroke, but who knows?

How does a 31 year old in excellent athletic condition have a stroke?

To me, in the wake of the Giambi and Bonds fiasco, looks like a possible scandal...

244812[/snapback]

You know - sometime "stuff" just happens

You don't have to raed something bad into it :w00t:

How does a 31 year old in excellent athletic condition have a stroke?

To me, in the wake of the Giambi and Bonds fiasco, looks like a possible scandal...

244812[/snapback]

I have a friend who was perfectly healthy and athletic who had a rather severe stroke when she was 31. She is recovered to about 98%, but I can guarantee she was not using steriods. Strokes are a result of many factors.

You know - sometime "stuff"  just happens

You don't have to raed something bad into it  :w00t:

244836[/snapback]

but you do have to read into it.

It comes with being a superstar celebrity. When something huge like this happens, especially something so seemingly unusual, it's natural for the public to look into it.

And if you think we're the only ones doing so, you're way off.

It comes with being a superstar celebrity. When something huge like this happens, especially something so seemingly unusual, it's natural for the public to look into it.

244853[/snapback]

Now I'm just saying... How good of a player was Tedd Bruschi 5 years ago? As good as he is now? I can't remember him being this good. I know it's sh!tty to say but I really didn't think he was that great 5 years ago. Was he?

There are different kinds of stroke, as well as many different factors that can cause a stroke.

Without knowing any details, it's impossible to say what effect this will have on his career.

My impression from the little I have heard is that he may have had a small aneurysm that popped and bled, causing a small stroke.

Thanks.  It was conversation yesterday at work and we were just wondering.  I feel for his two younger boys.  We were just wondering if it was just a larger risk if he kept playing.  Because I know the circumstances that lead up to a stroke and it seems like playing football wouldn't be good.  My boss also said roids.  And it kinda got me thinking about it too.  Who knows.

244826[/snapback]

I had a 19 year old friend (many years back) that had a aneurysm that took his life. 19, apparently healthy, had just returned to his girlfriend's home after having gone out for dinner with her and her parents. He told his girlfriend that he felt sick, had a splitting headache, and was going to go home. He made it just short of her front door and collapsed. He was gone by the time the EMT folks arrived. Maybe Bruschi has messed with performance enhancing chemicals, maybe not, but before he's colored with a wide brush, remember one simple truth, "sh-- happens".

Here's to hoping Brushi makes a complete recovery.

I had a 19 year old friend (many years back) that had a aneurysm that took his life. 19, apparently healthy, had just returned to his girlfriend's home after having gone out for dinner with her and her parents. He told his girlfriend that he felt sick, had a splitting headache, and was going to go home. He made it just short of her front door and collapsed. He was gone by the time the EMT folks arrived.  Maybe Bruschi has messed with performance enhancing chemicals, maybe not, but before he's colored with a wide brush, remember one simple truth, "sh-- happens".

244875[/snapback]

Sorry to hear about you friend. Yeah sh-- does happen and it's sucks when people speculate something that might even not be the truth. But, with all the contraversy surrounding the MLB these days it's only human to bring it up. I hope that's not the case though.

I had a 19 year old friend (many years back) that had a aneurysm that took his life. 19, apparently healthy, had just returned to his girlfriend's home after having gone out for dinner with her and her parents. He told his girlfriend that he felt sick, had a splitting headache, and was going to go home. He made it just short of her front door and collapsed. He was gone by the time the EMT folks arrived.  Maybe Bruschi has messed with performance enhancing chemicals, maybe not, but before he's colored with a wide brush, remember one simple truth, "sh-- happens".

244875[/snapback]

Similar thing happened to my wife. She played field hockey in high school and one of her teammates, a healthy young lass of 17, just up and keeled over while sitting on the bench. Deed from an aneurysm.

Schit does happen, all too often.

Now I'm just saying...  How good of a player was Tedd Bruschi 5 years ago?  As good as he is now?  I can't remember him being this good.  I know it's sh!tty to say but I really didn't think he was that great 5 years ago.  Was he?

244857[/snapback]

That is the reason I brought it up in the first place. He was not drafted very high and wasn't spectacular the first few years.

I know young people have strokes, and I do not mean to offend anyone. It was just the first thing that came to mind when I heard it. :o I just find the timing very odd. You'd think it would have happened on the field.

I also think it is odd that Troy Brown, who was never a great WR, could play both ways as well as he did. But that is for another thread...

244853[/snapback]

Generally, I'd agree with you on this...but strokes are common enough with a wide enough variety of causes that I don't necessarily believe that kind of presumption or generalization is necessarily wise. It's more than enough reason that Bruschi plays (played?) a position that puts a lot of strain on the head and neck...

And while I'm thinking about it...anyone watch ER last night? About the lady that had the stroke? Somewhat eerie conicidence...