Teddy Bruschi had a stroke

/dev/null

How does a 31 year old in excellent athletic condition have a stroke?

To me, in the wake of the Giambi and Bonds fiasco, looks like a possible scandal...

244812[/snapback]

Could you please explain to me the exact mechanism by which steroids could even contribute to a stroke. That is what implying, right?

Is there any evidence to suggest that Tedy Bruschi took steroids?

Leave it to low rent, low brow, low intellect fans like yourself to make a completely irresponsible statement like this. I am amazed by your ignorance.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are different kinds of stroke, as well as many different factors that can cause a stroke.

Without knowing any details, it's impossible to say what effect this will have on his career.

My impression from the little I have heard is that he may have had a small aneurysm that popped and bled, causing a small stroke.

244862[/snapback]

You have one aneurysm, you may have more..........

Hang it up Tedy

Now I'm just saying...  How good of a player was Tedd Bruschi 5 years ago?  As good as he is now?  I can't remember him being this good.  I know it's sh!tty to say but I really didn't think he was that great 5 years ago.  Was he?

244857[/snapback]

Did you follow the Pats closely 5 years ago? I'm sure he's always been this good but its probably just now that the media is starting to take notice.

You have one aneurysm, you may have more..........

Hang it up Tedy

245091[/snapback]

Presumably (if that is the cause) they will do tests to look for more. They're not always the best at detecting every little possible aneurysm, but they'll probably be able to identify any big, deadly honkers. Not sure how that will affect his decision to continue playing, however.

That is the reason I brought it up in the first place.  He was not drafted very high and wasn't spectacular the first few years. 

I know young people have strokes, and I do not mean to offend anyone.  It was just the first thing that came to mind when I heard it. :o  I just find the timing very odd.  You'd think it would have happened on the field. 

I also think it is odd that Troy Brown, who was never a great WR, could play both ways as well as he did.  But that is for another thread...

244924[/snapback]

:o Bruschi, I believe led the nation in sacks in college his senior year as an undersized lineman...Pats started him on ST while he learned the LB position...not every one flies out of the gate with all pro stats

How does a 31 year old in excellent athletic condition have a stroke?

To me, in the wake of the Giambi and Bonds fiasco, looks like a possible scandal...

244812[/snapback]

Same why a 17 year old could...Taking that many hits to the head could cause clots...Being married to a neurologist I can get the inside scoop :o

There is a slight possibility of roids but a healthy 25 year old walking across the street could have a stroke with no other symptoms...

Could you please explain to me the exact mechanism by which steroids could even contribute to a stroke.  That is what implying, right?

244977[/snapback]

While I'm all for giving Bruschi the benefit of the doubt, there is evidence that 'roids can increase the incidence of stroke:

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:ZbaB8...id+use%22&hl=en

"Studies show that, over time, anabolic steroids can indeed take a heavy toll on a person's health. The abuse of oral or injectable steroids is associated with higher risks for heart attacks and strokes..."

Then again, there's this side affect as well:

"Anabolic steroid abuse can also cause undesirable body changes. These include breast development..."

Hey, maybe GW was on the juice!! :o:o:D

That is the reason I brought it up in the first place.  He was not drafted very high and wasn't spectacular the first few years. 

I know young people have strokes, and I do not mean to offend anyone.  It was just the first thing that came to mind when I heard it. :rolleyes:  I just find the timing very odd.  You'd think it would have happened on the field. 

I also think it is odd that Troy Brown, who was never a great WR, could play both ways as well as he did.  But that is for another thread...

244924[/snapback]

They have gotten better over the course of their careers. They are both intelligent football players who work very hard and have made themselves better as they have gained experience. Bruschi has had to go from a DE in college to an OLB to a MLB - naturally there would be a learning curve.

There is nothing "odd" about it. Go back and look at any draft and teams misfire on all sorts of guys. Other guys get drafted late and turn out to be great. The draft is for the most part a crapshoot.

Everyone is different (for better and for worse) when they are 30 compared to when they are 21. The class valedictorian is not necessarily the most successful graduate ten years later, and it is rarely because the other person "cheated."

Bruschi was released from the hospital in Boston this afternoon. I saw the live shot on the local news. Bruschi was smiling and talking, but walking slowly and gingerly while holding onto his wife's arm.

BTW, I think it's irresponsible to assume his stroke was steroid related. It's not like he's been playing major league baseball where the testing has been non-existant or a joke.

BTW, I think it's irresponsible to assume his stroke was steroid related.

245445[/snapback]

I agree. He seems like a high-character guy and it's a shame the whispers will haunt him until we know the definitive diagnosis.

Nevertheless, there is evidence that links 'roids to this kind of side affect, so it's not outside the relm of possibility.

It is sadly ironic that just a few weeks ago, this board was lit up in comparison of Lawyer Milloy & Teddy Bruschi.

While we cannot argue the merit of each of their actions relative to the teamwork, you cannot argue with Milloy's position which direction a player should take for the well being of their families.

Bruschi's move to accept lower pay was seen as nostalgic galantry to the bygone days of the game, but I'm sure his family's financial security would have been helped with a true free agent contract. People forget that NFL players realistically get only one chance for a big money contract, and that the playing lifespan of players is very very short.

We can lambaste Milloy for being a selfish jerk with respect to his former team, but if you were his family your priorities are different, and I can't fault him for that.

It is sadly ironic that just a few weeks ago, this board was lit up in comparison of Lawyer Milloy & Teddy Bruschi.

While we cannot argue the merit of each of their actions relative to the teamwork, you cannot argue with Milloy's position which direction a player should take for the well being of their families. 

Bruschi's move to accept lower pay was seen as nostalgic galantry to the bygone days of the game, but I'm sure his family's financial security would have been helped with a true free agent contract.  People forget that NFL players realistically get only one chance for a big money contract, and that the playing lifespan of players is very very short.

We can lambaste Milloy for being a selfish jerk with respect to his former team, but if you were his family your priorities are different, and I can't fault him for that.

246218[/snapback]

I immediately thought the same thing. Lots of Pats players are taking less than what the market would otherwise bear. They're drinking the koolaid about the

greater good. But Belichick and Kraft might be the wealthiest coach/owner combo ever in the NFL.

The coaches are finally waking up. Weis will quadruple his salary at ND. Crennel will do even better at Cleveland. With the fact that there is absolutely no guarantee to a player(but there is for ownership!)in an NFL contract, I begrudge no player for trying to get every cent they can.

Bruschi's move to accept lower pay was seen as nostalgic galantry to the bygone days of the game, but I'm sure his family's financial security would have been helped with a true free agent contract.  People forget that NFL players realistically get only one chance for a big money contract, and that the playing lifespan of players is very very short.

246218[/snapback]

Great post Bro. I cannot blame a man for wanting to take care of his family.

Milloy does cost lots of money, but he is a big asset to our football team imo.

I hope that we can get to the playoffs during his stay in Buffalo and believe that the Lawyer would contribute in a huge way if we do.

Bruschi was released from the hospital in Boston this afternoon. I saw the live shot on the local news. Bruschi was smiling and talking, but walking slowly and gingerly while holding onto his wife's arm.

BTW, I think it's irresponsible to assume his stroke was steroid related. It's not like he's been playing major league baseball where the testing has been non-existant or a joke.

245445[/snapback]

First of all, I did not assume that it was steroid related. But in the wake if Giambi's problems, it was what came to mind. He seems a decent guy. But I thought Giambi was, too.

Secondly, a thought cannot be irresponsible in a free society. I think it is sad that I would have thought that, but the NFL has had its troubles with steroids, too. I don't remember much of a dropoff in performances when the drug testing was instituted. It must have been that almost no one was taking them. <_< If I stood to lose millions of dollars either by being caught taking steroids or not taking them and underperforming, I'd do my best to find a way to hide my use of them. I am sure many have.

Anyway, I do hope he gets better and can play football again...