Kauai and the Big Island

Rubes

So the wife and I will be going to Hawaii later this spring. A week on Kauai and another week on the Big Island.

I've never been anywhere in Hawaii before, so I'm totally looking forward to this. I was looking to see if any folks here have been to either of the islands and have any really cool adventurous things to do or places to eat. I've been starting a list of things I'd like to do, but I'm looking for experiences people have had that you would recommend.

Let's have it!

So the wife and I will be going to Hawaii later this spring. A week on Kauai and another week on the Big Island.

I've never been anywhere in Hawaii before, so I'm totally looking forward to this. I was looking to see if any folks here have been to either of the islands and have any really cool adventurous things to do or places to eat. I've been starting a list of things I'd like to do, but I'm looking for experiences people have had that you would recommend.

Let's have it!

Mauna Kea. The largest astronomical observatory in the world. Don't pass that up.

Do a helicopter tour of Kauai, especially the Napali coast. It's stunningly beautiful and can really be appreciated from the air. Waimea Canyon is beautiful from the air too. Helicopter tours are amazing; they play music while you take in the sights. We did one in 2001 and it was worth every cent. Kauai is under-appreciated.

On the Big Island, drive out to South Point. It was very isolated and stark but beautiful. Enjoy!

I have been to Kauai a number of times and it is my favorite place on Earth. Bar none, no question about it. I strongly prefer the South/West sides, so some of this will be influenced by that. I find Princeville to be too isolated, and much too far away from Kauai's crown jewel, the canyon and all the hiking it offers.

There is an endless set of things to do, but here are some of my favorites:

- Waimea Canyon. The Kalalau lookout onto the Na Pali is at the end of state route 550 and is one of the most beautiful places in the world - many hikes leave from this spot. The hike to Waipoo Falls is also great. Do yourself a favor though - check the weather forecast and do this on a clear day. You will see nothing but clouds at the end of the highway otherwise.

- Definitely do a cruise to the Na Pali coast. Most leave from Port Allen, we favor Captain Andy's. Be sure to take dramamine, even if you don't think you'll get seasick.

- Salt Pond Beach Park. This beach is significantly less crowded than Poipu, but honestly, we like it a lot better from both a snorkeling and swimming perspective. It's practically deserted during the week, it is more of a locals destination.

- Strolling the main street in Hanapepe. This is "old Hawaii". There is a seamstress with a shop there named Jacqueline that will tailor you custom Aloha shirts for under $70. The best souvenir I've ever gotten in Hawaii.

- Koloa Rum tasting at the Kilohana Plantation. I especially enjoy their dark rum.

Places to eat:

- Merriman's Fish House

- Beach House in Poipu. Awesome food, great wait staff. We actually saw our Merriman's waiter dining here with his girlfriend later in our trip.
- Kalaheo Cafe. Excellent lunch stop.

- Red Salt at Koa Kea. We stayed once at Koa Kea - wasn't our cup of tea, but the restaurant here is great. A tad expensive, though.

- Keoki's Paradise. This is a rebrand of the Duke's chain. If you are looking for something cheaper for dinner, but still good, it's a nice option.

- Mark's Place for plate lunches in Lihue. It's in a strange business park location, a bit hard to find, but very good food.

And, since you've never been to Hawaii - do yourself a favor and eat as much fish as you can. Mahi, ono, monchong, opah, and of course seared ahi. If it is a restaurant worth eating at, roadside or otherwise, the fish will be fresh in Hawaii. Pork is fine, but goodness, don't go out for steak, pizza, or anything like that, unless you need a break from the fish.

Oahu submarine tour is a wonderful experience

1 hr 45 min in duration

I was diving a shipwreck off Oahu once and all of sudden heard this high pitch squealing sound. Turned around and saw that submarine probably less than 200ft away from me. I had no idea it went through that areas, so it shocked the hell out of me. Then I noticed most of the people inside were either waving at me or taking my picture. I felt like an aquarium exhibit.

Mauna Kea. The largest astronomical observatory in the world. Don't pass that up.

Definitely have that one marked down. We're not sure the best way to do the observatory (a friend told us she did a tour and it was great), but we're definitely doing that.

Oahu submarine tour is a wonderful experience

1 hr 45 min in duration

Sounds awesome, but we won't be on Oahu.

Do a helicopter tour of Kauai, especially the Napali coast. It's stunningly beautiful and can really be appreciated from the air. Waimea Canyon is beautiful from the air too. Helicopter tours are amazing; they play music while you take in the sights. We did one in 2001 and it was worth every cent. Kauai is under-appreciated.

On the Big Island, drive out to South Point. It was very isolated and stark but beautiful. Enjoy!

We'll be staying right near South Point, actually. Sounds pretty isolated, I agree, but we'll have a car. The helicopter tour of Kauai sounds awesome, I didn't think of that. Not sure I can get the wife to do it, but I'll look into it.

My wife's uncle lives on the big island, near Kona. We spent a week out there with him, and he gave us the great insider's view, including a 3-day trip around the island, stopping at all the best dives, emapana stands, etc.

One thing I will tell you-- if you do Volcanoes National Park, you need to come well prepared. We hiked it around dusk and got pretty close to the lava by dark (which is awesome), but we had steel-toed boots, like 6 or 7 high-powered flashlights with a ton of extra batteries, water/food, etc. We actually had to "save" two or three other groups of hikers, who ran out of flashlights and were in flip flops, stumbling around. They formed a link to us, holding hands, as we led them back. Pretty scary for them, because people have been known to get stranded out there or hike right over a cliff.

We're definitely doing VNP, and I've heard about the preparations, but not quite the way you put it. That's really good info, thanks. We were planning on doing several hikes there, so that's very good to know.

Thanks for the great info everyone!

I have been to Kauai a number of times and it is my favorite place on Earth. Bar none, no question about it. I strongly prefer the South/West sides, so some of this will be influenced by that. I find Princeville to be too isolated, and much too far away from Kauai's crown jewel, the canyon and all the hiking it offers.

There is an endless set of things to do, but here are some of my favorites:

- Waimea Canyon. The Kalalau lookout onto the Na Pali is at the end of state route 550 and is one of the most beautiful places in the world - many hikes leave from this spot. The hike to Waipoo Falls is also great. Do yourself a favor though - check the weather forecast and do this on a clear day. You will see nothing but clouds at the end of the highway otherwise.

- Definitely do a cruise to the Na Pali coast. Most leave from Port Allen, we favor Captain Andy's. Be sure to take dramamine, even if you don't think you'll get seasick.

- Salt Pond Beach Park. This beach is significantly less crowded than Poipu, but honestly, we like it a lot better from both a snorkeling and swimming perspective. It's practically deserted during the week, it is more of a locals destination.

- Strolling the main street in Hanapepe. This is "old Hawaii". There is a seamstress with a shop there named Jacqueline that will tailor you custom Aloha shirts for under $70. The best souvenir I've ever gotten in Hawaii.

- Koloa Rum tasting at the Kilohana Plantation. I especially enjoy their dark rum.

Places to eat:

- Merriman's Fish House

- Beach House in Poipu. Awesome food, great wait staff. We actually saw our Merriman's waiter dining here with his girlfriend later in our trip.
- Kalaheo Cafe. Excellent lunch stop.

- Red Salt at Koa Kea. We stayed once at Koa Kea - wasn't our cup of tea, but the restaurant here is great. A tad expensive, though.

- Keoki's Paradise. This is a rebrand of the Duke's chain. If you are looking for something cheaper for dinner, but still good, it's a nice option.

- Mark's Place for plate lunches in Lihue. It's in a strange business park location, a bit hard to find, but very good food.

And, since you've never been to Hawaii - do yourself a favor and eat as much fish as you can. Mahi, ono, monchong, opah, and of course seared ahi. If it is a restaurant worth eating at, roadside or otherwise, the fish will be fresh in Hawaii. Pork is fine, but goodness, don't go out for steak, pizza, or anything like that, unless you need a break from the fish.

Wow, very good stuff there, thanks!

Some of that we were planning to do, like Waimea Canyon, but I hadn't heard much about Salt Pond, Hanapepe, or the plantation. Those sound like really good ideas.

And thanks for the ideas on places to eat! I'm definitely trying to identify as many good out-of-the-way places as possible.

I was diving a shipwreck off Oahu once and all of sudden heard this high pitch squealing sound. Turned around and saw that submarine probably less than 200ft away from me. I had no idea it went through that areas, so it shocked the hell out of me. Then I noticed most of the people inside were either waving at me or taking my picture. I felt like an aquarium exhibit.

In the early 90's we were fishing Marlin way off the Maui coast. Then a Submarine Comes half submerged and there are two guys up there trolling for marlin. Unreal. I got pics somewhere but just with a shoot and click camera.

Big island--- Black sand beach very cool. Not many beaches accessible and the not many sandy beaches on good reefs. so snorkeling can be challenging. But a awesome island in particular the volcano if the lava is flowing to the ocean. At night it is great.

I visited the Big Island 20 years ago -- loved it there. Stayed at the Hilton resort north of Kona and spent a day driving around the island (should have spent a couple days doing that). We took a helicopter tour of VNP which was awesome. We were right on the crater and followed the lava flow down to the ocean.

Have fun!

Wow, very good stuff there, thanks!

Some of that we were planning to do, like Waimea Canyon, but I hadn't heard much about Salt Pond, Hanapepe, or the plantation. Those sound like really good ideas.

And thanks for the ideas on places to eat! I'm definitely trying to identify as many good out-of-the-way places as possible.

Try to hit Hanapepe on a Friday night... that is when they do the "art walk". It is more of a marketplace with a bunch of different local vendors serving food and gifts, it's not much of an art walk.

The taco truck at Salt Pond in the parking lot is pretty good, too.

The farmers market at Kauai Community College in Lihue on Saturday morning is also worth going to, if only to try out the sugar loaf pineapples, which are white instead of yellow.

A couple things to add. On Kauai, as recommended, a helicopter ride that shows you the Na Pali coast will be well worth it; however, I'd also recommend that you do the 2-mile hike into the first beach (Hanakapiai I believe), especially after you've seen it by air. Once there, you can hike another mile or so up the river to the waterfall, even take a dip in the pool there.

On the Big Island, there aren't many beaches, but a really nice one is Hapuna, about 30 minutes north of the airport. I'd also recommend driving to the north shore, going all the way until the road ends--it's a very rustic area, unlike touristy Kona. You can take a little hike down to the beach there as well. Kealakekua Bay is nice visit about 30 minutes south of Kona, and it's where Captain Cook first landed and also was killed (there's a white monument on one end of the bay accessible by boat tour). You should also go to the City of Refuge near there (read up on what it is, interesting stuff). There's a nice restaurant Ray's at the Keahou Sheraton (I believe), and it's name comes from the fact schools of Manta rays feed at night just off the cliffs where the restaurant is located. You can do a boat tour out of Kona for this as well.

Dining options in Kona: my favorite place is "Quinn's almost by the sea." It looks like a dive bar, but has a nice patio in the back, and they buy their fish straight from the boats for the evening's specials. The Brew Pub in Kona is a nice place for a bite too, but it's in an industrial park. Definitely have a cocktail at the Kona Inn and watch the sun set--it's a great setting. If you want a real taste of "local food," try Teshima's about 15-20 minutes south of Kona along the highway. If you're staying in a condo with a kitchen, you can buy fresh ahi at almost any supermarket.

Enjoy.

I spent three weeks on Kauai for business. It is my fqvorite island. Very rural still. If wifey doesn't want to do the helicopter tour of Waimea canyon, then drive. The road alone is Friggen fun! I don't remember the name of the place, but we had breakfast nearly every morning at a little shack off the main road around the south side of the island. Think breakfast slam in a bowl. Cheap too. And don't forget a tour of the Kona coffee plantation. If you ride, motorcycle rentals are affordable too.