Sam Bradford re-signs with Eagles

The Eagles have seen Bradford play right? What an awful, awful contract.

What are the Eagles options? You deal with the situation you are in and make a judgment that having him at an overvalued contract is much better than not having him. If TT plays reasonably well this upcoming season the Bills will end up paying more than if they locked him up this year.

As a Bills fan we all know that not having a credible qb has a significant impact on a team's chances of seriously competing. Is Bradford an upper tier qb? Most people would say no. But he does give the Eagles a reasonable chance to compete compared to not having him. If the Eagles organization had the leverage with Bradford they would use it in their negotiations with Bradford. Bradford seems to have the leverage in his dealings with the Eagles so he is taking advantage of the situation.

Cordy Glenn is a solid LT. But he is far from being an upper tier tackle. The Bills will over-pay relative to his talent level by either franchising him or signing a deal. The option of losing him would create a major hole on the line. My point is when a team has the leverage against a player in contract negotiations it will exercise it. The same dynamic applies to the player when he is well positioned.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Halfrod? What? Why? Taylor was 8-6 last year, which is a better winning percentage than Cousins' 9-7. Cousins got "pantsed" by the Dolphins, whom Taylor beat twice, handily. Why are you so obsessed with demeaning Tyrod Taylor? I see you are in Virginia- is this personal between you two? Did you know him when he was at VA Tech? There's gotta be an explanation.

tyrod got pantsed vs the skins, why are you crying about history ? Let's not talk about last season?

It's a qb driven league, no doubt about it. He did play well during the last half of the season though.

That's like saying "I leased a classic cadillac, and it ran ****ty for 6 months, and then I had to leave it in the shop for a month, but it's run fine these last two weeks. I better make this a rent to own, because how often do you see one of these on the open market?".

Bradford might run ok for a while, but his statistical best season, honestly his best season ever, in terms of yards, completion percentage and yards per attempt was last year. He was pretty close to his touchdown total. And this was in the "Chip Kelly, QB friendly, let's have eyepopping QB stats" system. He was 7-7, threw for 19 touchdowns and 14 interceptions.

I hate to see what happens when he breaks down.

How Bradford’s deal could impact Taylor

With the Philadelphia Eagles signing QB Sam Bradford to a new two-year contract to keep him off the free agent market, has the NFC East club helped to set parameters for a potential extension for Bills QB Tyrod Taylor?

An extension for Taylor does not appear imminent with all the contract negotiations that sit on the front burner, chiefly with guard Richie Incognito. Still, agents and NFL front offices take a long look at the most recent contracts to help ascertain true market value.

You know, now that the contract details are out, I can't fault the Eagles FO too much.

It's a lot of money, but most of the cap hit is next year, and he has very little guaranteed after this year.

The word from Whaley is that none if the QBs look like day 1 starters, and that they need at least a year on the bench. If the Eagles see a guy they like but needs a year, they don't need to worry about throwing him into the fire like we did EJ.

I am not advocating doing it now. I am just saying there is no way that his agent is taking less than that on a bridge deal as of today. That deal set the new floor IMO

your neglecting a bit of the FA vs under contract pay raise factor, i think. In the next 2 years tyrod is severely limited in his income with the current deal, followed by a tag as his MAX if he plays well and the bills play hard ball.

so any 2-3 year deal has to price in that anchor a little.

your neglecting a bit of the FA vs under contract pay raise factor, i think. In the next 2 years tyrod is severely limited in his income with the current deal, followed by a tag as his MAX if he plays well and the bills play hard ball.

Maybe a little, but even then this year and the tag is going to be $25M. That is this year's salary plus the tag moving up 10% next year.

Maybe a little, but even then this year and the tag is going to be $25M. That is this year's salary plus the tag moving up 10% next year.

Right, so for tyrod, anything over $25m total for 2 years, and with guarantees of more than this years salary is a positive from his negotiating stance (if longer term obviously extra years tacked on at or near expected market).

to hand him a 2 year $35-40m contract with more than bradford guaranteed would be no good from the bills side given their leverage. instead of looking at is as the floor for a 2 year deal, bradford may have instead set the ceiling for a 2 year deal based on the negotiating position the bills have. "sure we will give you a raise to avoid the tag, but we will not pay you at that rate"

Edited by NoSaint

Right, so for tyrod, anything over $25m total for 2 years, and with guarantees of more than this years salary is a positive from his negotiating stance (if longer term obviously extra years tacked on at or near expected market).

to hand him a 2 year $35-40m contract with more than bradford guaranteed would be no good from the bills side given their leverage. instead of looking at is as the floor for a 2 year deal, bradford may have instead set the ceiling for a 2 year deal based on the negotiating position the bills have. "sure we will give you a raise to avoid the tag, but we will not pay you at that rate"

True, but he also has the ability to hold out and not sign the tag.

If the Bills are a playoff contender with him, and don't have another viable option, then he has some leverage of his own.

tyrod got pantsed vs the skins, why are you crying about history ? Let's not talk about last season?

You are the one talking about last season. And I would say the defense got pantsed vs. the Redskins, particularly on the aforementioned Cousins' TD run. Cousins looked good in some games, not as good in others. So did Taylor. At the end of the day, they played on a pretty similar level last season, though it was Taylors' first year as a starter while Cousins had started games in each of the previous three seasons. But keep insisting you are objective about Taylor.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

You are the one talking about last season. And I would say the defense got pantsed vs. the Redskins, particularly on the aforementioned Cousins' TD run. Cousins looked good in some games, not as good in others. So did Taylor. At the end of the day, they played on a pretty similar level last season, though it was Taylors' first year as a starter while Cousins had started games in each of the previous three seasons. But keep insisting you are objective about Taylor.

Cousins made the playoffs. Tyrod well he beat Hoyer!

Save me this Tyrod the great stuff for week 6 next year. I'm 50/50 on him and I'm pulling for him.

He's nowhere near as good as you think, hence him getting pantsed by pats, skins, Eagles when the games mattered.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

I was looking at it more as a 2 year extension (after this year). Sorry if that was confusing.

I was looking at it more as a 2 year extension (after this year). Sorry if that was confusing.

that makes much more sense. so a 3 year, 40m, essentially when all is said and done.

True, but he also has the ability to hold out and not sign the tag.

If the Bills are a playoff contender with him, and don't have another viable option, then he has some leverage of his own.

honest question, who was the last qb to take the tag and sit out any training camp, yet alone games.

he also would have a huge incentive to show up and play well, instead of playing hardball.

that makes much more sense. so a 3 year, 40m, essentially when all is said and done.

honest question, who was the last qb to take the tag and sit out any training camp, yet alone games.

he also would have a huge incentive to show up and play well, instead of playing hardball.

exactly

Cousins made the playoffs. Tyrod well he beat Hoyer!

Save me this Tyrod the great stuff for week 6 next year. I'm 50/50 on him and I'm pulling for him.

He's nowhere near as good as you think, hence him getting pantsed by pats, skins, Eagles when the games mattered.

How good do I think he is? I think he's probably around the 15th best QB in the league. Maybe between 15-20. Same range as Cousins. I just think it's hysterical that you only point out the games he lost and then Hoyer? He beat a great Texans D that was playing out of its collective mind the 4-5 weeks leading up to that game. He was 8-6. Better record than Cousins at 9-7. Not sure Cousins would have made the playoffs if he had to play in the AFC East last season, are you? It's just so amusing that you have never once said, "well he does have a nice deep ball" or "he didn't make too many mistakes" or "he's a hell of a runner..." It's only the negatives. Which leads me back to my original question- what is your personal grudge against him? I know the answer, I just want you to admit it.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I'll say this: the NFC East was a close competitor with the AFC South for Worst Division in Football.

They got to pad their schedule again against the NFC South which, outside of Carolina, was pretty bad.

Cousins had a good year. I won't deny that. But he did it against teams worse than ours, and with more starting experience than Tyrod had, where they had a full offseason to build around his strengths and weaknesses.

How good do I think he is? I think he's probably around the 15th best QB in the league. Maybe between 15-20. Same range as Cousins. I just think it's hysterical that you only point out the games he lost and then Hoyer? He beat a great Texans D that was playing out of its collective mind the 4-5 weeks leading up to that game. He was 8-6. Better record than Cousins at 9-7. Not sure Cousins would have made the playoffs if he had to play in the AFC East last season, are you? It's just so amusing that you have never once said, "well he does have a nice deep ball" or "he didn't make too many mistakes" or "he's a hell of a runner..." It's only the negatives. Which leads me back to my original question- what is your personal grudge against him? I know the answer, I just want you to admit it.

I have no grudge. Hes good sometimes, he sucks sometimes.

I enjoy prodding the blind fanboys, this is a you thing more than it is a me thing. Let me praise his deep ball it's good, happy now ?