2-25: Doug Whaley Spoke to the Media at the Combine

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rouge!!!

Is that Whaley's favorite color?

Doug Whaley: "We can draft any position" (15:50)

Bills GM Doug Whaley sat down on The John Murphy Show from the NFL Combine in Indianapolis. Whaley talks about the scouting process, his strategy for the Draft and free agency, and being creative with the salary cap.

@JoeBuscaglia

Lost in all the Cordy, Richie, Clay, Tyrod, and McCoy news today... Whaley essentially gave Robert Woods a vote of confidence today. #Bills

Which really isn't shocking to me. Woods is a good player, I'm admittedly more of a fan than most but I give the guy credit for playing hurt last year. There's little doubt this year will be a make or break year for him in Buffalo. I have to think some consistency at the QB position, and hopefully being fully healthy, will make people remember that the guy can be a solid complimentary piece in this offense.

@viccarucci

#Bills GM Doug Whaley on if he feels pressure to win: "We want to win more than the fans want to win." BN Blitz: http://bit.ly/1S4KdfE

Point of order, Douglas. You want the Bills to win because you're paid to. I want the Bills to win because it is ingrained into my soul. I seriously doubt that you want to win more than I want you to win.

As a number 2 receiver?

I'm skeptical. And Goodwin is a joke at this point.

They should find a way to address the position but seems like they don't see it as a dire need. IMO, a legit number 2 would help the offense immensely.

I think a number 2 WR in this offense is a little different than most other schemes. Woods blocks better than all the other WRs on the team, he runs excellent routes, and has shown that he can make tough catches in traffic. I'm not sure he's a true number 2, but I think he's more than capable of filling that role on this team considering Roman's scheme and the fact that Clay and McCoy's prowess in the passing games will undoubtedly take targets away from any other WR lined up across the field from #14. Woods can hurt you if he's left one on one, he's shown that before. That, coupled with his blocking abilities, makes him a good weapon in my estimation.

That said, I'm not saying they shouldn't be looking for WR help in the coming draft or in UFA. A big bodied type would be great, a true number two WR would only help the team. I do think Woods would thrive in the slot more so than on the boundary, I just am not surprised that OBD thinks highly of Woods when he's healthy.

I was in favor of giving Goodwin another chance headed into last season before stamping him injury prone, but I can't make that stance in good faith going forward until he plays a full season. There are definitely needs in the WR room, I just wouldn't classify them as dire. In my mind there are bigger holes.

Edited by Deranged Rhino

I think a number 2 WR in this offense is a little different than most other schemes. Woods blocks better than all the other WRs on the team, he runs excellent routes, and has shown that he can make tough catches in traffic. I'm not sure he's a true number 2, but I think he's more than capable of filling that role on this team considering Roman's scheme and the fact that Clay and McCoy's prowess in the passing games will undoubtedly take targets away from any other WR lined up across the field from #14. Woods can hurt you if he's left one on one, he's shown that before. That, coupled with his blocking abilities, makes him a good weapon in my estimation.

That said, I'm not saying they shouldn't be looking for WR help in the coming draft or in UFA. A big bodied type would be great, a true number two WR would only help the team. I do think Woods would thrive in the slot more so than on the boundary, I just am not surprised that OBD thinks highly of Woods when he's healthy.

I was in favor of giving Goodwin another chance headed into last season before stamping him injury prone, but I can't make that stance in good faith going forward until he plays a full season. There are definitely needs in the WR room, I just wouldn't classify them as dire. In my mind there are bigger holes.

If Miller is there in the 2nd I believe they would pick him quick, fast and in a hurry. But I like Woods a lot. I think more consistency at QB and health will allow him to show better. He's a tough dude, does what he's asked and doesn't really complain. And he runs good routes, makes tough catches. Taylor being the unquestioned starter should be good for him and all the WR/TE. They'll have the majority of reps together.

Edited by purple haze

If Miller is there in the 2nd I believe they would pick him quick, fast and in a hurry. But I like Woods a lot. I think more consistency at QB and health will allow him to show better. He's a tough dude, does what he's asked and doesn't really complain. And he runs good routes, makes tough catches. Taylor being the unquestioned starter should be good for him and all the WR/TE. They'll have the majority of reps together.

Agreed. :beer:

@JoeBuscaglia

Lost in all the Cordy, Richie, Clay, Tyrod, and McCoy news today... Whaley essentially gave Robert Woods a vote of confidence today. #Bills

When I found out he was playing with that injury all year I tend to agree

Point of order, Douglas. You want the Bills to win because you're paid to. I want the Bills to win because it is ingrained into my soul. I seriously doubt that you want to win more than I want you to win.

Are you going to lose your job if the bills dont win?

Trust me.....he wants it more

Why all the pictures of Whaley?

Anyway, I think he's done a damn-near perfect job as the GM. Unfortunately, he had Rex and Taylor forced down his throat. He'll overcome that, too. In Doug We Trust!

Which really isn't shocking to me. Woods is a good player, I'm admittedly more of a fan than most but I give the guy credit for playing hurt last year. There's little doubt this year will be a make or break year for him in Buffalo. I have to think some consistency at the QB position, and hopefully being fully healthy, will make people remember that the guy can be a solid complimentary piece in this offense.

Woods IS a good player, but not necessarily a good fit. I earnestly believe Taylor's outside guys must be deep threats, because that's a strength for TT. The middle of the field guys need to big enough for Tyrod to see over the line.

So to compliment the QB I'm thinking fast on the outside, big and tall on the inside. Woods is neither, therefore not the strongest compliment to this particular QB.

Woods IS a good player, but not necessarily a good fit. I earnestly believe Taylor's outside guys must be deep threats, because that's a strength for TT. The middle of the field guys need to big enough for Tyrod to see over the line.

So to compliment the QB I'm thinking fast on the outside, big and tall on the inside. Woods is neither, therefore not the strongest compliment to this particular QB.

It isn't about seeing over the line. Rather it is about creating throwing lanes or windows for the QB. This is the case irrespective of a QB's height.

I disagree he's not a good fit. He's a really great fit for this scheme with his blocking alone. And you might be forgetting, Woods has wheels when healthy. He's not an elite speed guy, but he's by no means a plodder.

.... and could get Harvin back.....

This is huge imo. Either him or someone like him on the field with Sanmy, Clay and McCoy makes the offense unstoppable.

I disagree he's not a good fit. He's a really great fit for this scheme with his blocking alone. And you might be forgetting, Woods has wheels when healthy. He's not an elite speed guy, but he's by no means a plodder.

I just can't remember anything that dissuades me from thinking Woods is the 4th or 5th best on the roster when talking deep outside threat, which is a cornerstone of Tyrods game.

We know it's all Goodwin has, Sammy does everything well, Harvin is proven deep ball guy, hogan was even effective at times.

I see woods as less stout but more edgy josh reed type. Problem is blocking beats up the small guys and the middle of the field stuff wasnt materializing and may not, in Romans offense.

I like him, just think far better fits are out there.

This is huge imo. Either him or someone like him on the field with Sanmy, Clay and McCoy makes the offense unstoppable.

I just can't remember anything that dissuades me from thinking Woods is the 4th or 5th best on the roster when talking deep outside threat, which is a cornerstone of Tyrods game.

We know it's all Goodwin has, Sammy does everything well, Harvin is proven deep ball guy, hogan was even effective at times.

I see woods as less stout but more edgy josh reed type. Problem is blocking beats up the small guys and the middle of the field stuff wasnt materializing and may not, in Romans offense.

I like him, just think far better fits are out there.

Woods is more of a deep threat than Hogan. By a lot.