Could Easley be a decent backup safety for the Bills?

simpleman

Why not just pick up a safety FA, undrafted player, etc and have him play special teams instead of trying to convert someone who's played offense to defense. If we need depth at safety, then go get a safety.

I have asked this before in other related threads, but no one discussed it. I just read the article posted on his rehab.

He has never really made enough of an impression on multiple coaching staffs as a WR. He is a good cover man on special teams. A good hitter, is big, tough, fast, decent hands, I assume smart. Decent qualities for a safety to have.

We need quality depth at safety, especially if AW is forced to retire due to his injury.

Buffalo has had some success at converting a WR to safety before. Could Easley play safety and special teams? Clearing a space on the roster and giving him more time on the field? It would seem a more efficient use of a roster spot than simply as a special teamer if he could be a decent backup safety.

Exactly!!

Simpleman, I'm not ripping on you, but your falling into the contemplation of converting players when there are already players specialized in that field. For example, everyone wanted to convert Tebow to a TE. He's not a TE, he's a bad QB.

Easley is a good ST player, but to convert to a whole new set of skills from offense to defense is a leap. The only real leap I see is when CB's as they get older but are tough or put on weight become Safeties. If Graham can't make the conversion well, and was a CB for 8 years, why would a ST player be able to do it.

I appreciate the creative thinking, just don't see it happening.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a decent thought, but like others I wonder if his injury will even allow him to come back at all.

First need to see where's he's at physically, then see if he can play well on ST again and THEN maybe think about other ways he can contribute.

Easley's not even a credible backup WR, the position he was drafted as.

Good coverage? He runs as fast as he can after the ball is kicked of and he tries to tackle another guy. This is nothing like playing safety.

I don't see him making the roster this year at all.

so , not to be crude, how does that affect the cap?

Sorry, that I do not know....

Found this.....

Do all player count against their team’s Salary Cap?

Yes, once the season has started, all players – whether on the 53-man roster, Injured Reserve (IR), Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) or the Practice Squad (PS) – count against the team’s Salary Cap. The only players that do not count against the Salary Cap are players who are on one of the NFL exempt lists.

If he is healthy, why not? 6'2 217 4.39 40. He is a special teams demon, and has made plays when he gets reps at WR. Worth a shot if he is healthy IMO

Can he cover, read defenses, call the coverages, blitz, take on blockers, tackle a RB that breaks through the line.....how is it worth a shot?

Can he cover, read defenses, call the coverages, blitz, take on blockers, tackle a RB that breaks through the line.....how is it worth a shot?

this is all just fantastical and that's cool.

But of course Coaches get paid well enough to sort this out.

I just hope the kid can get healthy. He has sure been through enough so far!

Gotta respect his wherewithal for sure.

wishing him well!!

If he is healthy, why not? 6'2 217 4.39 40. He is a special teams demon, and has made plays when he gets reps at WR. Worth a shot if he is healthy IMO

Made plays at WR? He has 3 career receptions (8 targets).

4.39 40? Maybe in one of these:

fast_wheelchair.jpg

Why transition him? His size and speed say WR.

Then again, despite his measurables, he's never been a particularly good WR. So I'm wondering, what skills does he possess that say he'd be a better safety? Because he can tackle on special teams?

Yep, George Wilson worked out and maybe Easley would too. But when I look at the guy's skill set I see a WR, just not a particularly great one.

Torn meniscus, heart ailment, hamstring issues, broken knee... His biggest problem is fragility and that'll hurt him as much at safety as it did at WR.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Thanks for the responses. Yes I was serious. I was asking for informed input, not stating he would make a good backup safety. Seems the consensus is he would not.

Looking at the tight cap situation he has a cap number of almost 2 Million. Given the needs on this team, especially if AW retires, it just seemed an option that I would explore if I was a coach. Difficult times require an exploration of all possible solutions if you want to keep valuable pieces of the team intact. 2 million for a strictly special teamer seems like a questionable luxury on a cap limited team. And his backup value to the team as a WR appears negligible. Just trying to think outside the box to find a more efficient use of cap money if the team wants to have him return and find some other value to this team besides a ST only player.

Others mentioning why not just get a Backup S in FA are missing the point. If he does come back from the injury in time for the season, we are using up a lot of valuable cap space on a ST player only when this team has some tough decisions to make to stay within the cap.

I can see keeping developing rookies, players on the roster for ST to see what their upside is or what they can develop into, but in tough cap times keeping players who have already reached their ceiling and are on the downslope becomes an issue you have to seriously evaluate. (See Dixon, Boobie, similar situation, 1.4 Million for a ST and a questionable value at RB in the Bills situation)

Edited by simpleman

Why transition him? His size and speed say WR.

Then again, despite his measurables, he's never been a particularly good WR. So I'm wondering, what skills does he possess that say he'd be a better safety? Because he can tackle on special teams?

Yep, George Wilson worked out and maybe Easley would too. But when I look at the guy's skill set I see a WR, just not a particularly great one.

Torn meniscus, heart ailment, hamstring issues, broken knee... His biggest problem is fragility and that'll hurt him as much at safety as it did at WR.

I don't think his fragility hurt him the past two years as a WR. As you said, he just was not that good a WR. That was why multiple coaches never seemed to think he was a viable enough option as a WR. If not for his ST play, he would have been long gone from the NFL. To me it is about trying to find another useful function for him on the team to justify the cap cost for a good ST player only.

If you are going to keep him and pay him anyway, why not try to find another way to justify his almost 2 million cap. How is that not worth at least a look?

If you are going to keep him and pay him anyway, why not try to find another way to justify his almost 2 million cap. How is that not worth at least a look?

Don't you think they would have done this by now if he could play another position as opposed to just covering kicks?

Unless the Bills feel like his career is over, they're not going to cut him. At the end of the day, they would save only $575K by cutting him and would eat $1.275M of his total comp of $1.85M. No need to do anything with the guy. He's a straight up special teams player that hasn't done anything in any other facet of the game. Closed book in my opinion.