Now this is the Meaning of Home Town Discount - Pats Cap

For another thread, I looked up Vollmer's salary cap. That led me to look at the Pats salary cap picture.

I promptly vomited my breakfast blueberries all over my keyboard and had to rinse my mouth out with coffee.

Look at what they got those guys playing for. Gronkowski...Vollmer....Edelman...Chandler Jones....The string of F bombs I loosed made the dog bark at me. Incentivized roster bonuses, the works. I mean, they're paying Gronk $250k more than Scott Chandler this year. WTF?

This is the true meaning of "hometown discount". When your team are perennial playoff and Superbowl contenders year after year after year, guys want to stay and keep the team together and they'll take less than the open market would probably give them.

It's Catch 22. When you're a perennial loser, you got to pay high to attract FA and you got to pay high to keep your guys, which means it's hard to put quality and depth all across the roster, the quality and depth you need to become a winner.

you see what happens to guys once they leave NE. these players know that too. if you're an NE RB/WR, you have no leverage. take what you can get because they can plug anyone into that RB/WR spot successfully.

The Pats*** put 21 players on IR and it didn't matter. They were still a tipped pass from the Super Bowl.

RB Dion Lewis RB LeGarrette Blount RB Tyler Gaffney FB James Develin WR Aaron Dobson WR Brian Tyms WR Brandon Gibson WR Josh Boyce TE A.J. Derby OT Nate Solder OL Ryan Wendell OL Kevin Hughes DE Trey Flowers DE Rufus Johnson DT Dominique Easley DT Chris Jones LB Jerod Mayo LB Dane Fletcher LB Eric Martin CB Tarell Brown CB Darryl Roberts

Gronk might be getting screwed by the Pats on salary but he makes it up on endorsement deals. He's the face of several big clients including Dunkin' Donuts. The longer he's an NFL star the more marketable he is even after retirement. The big lug is playing the long game here, probably on the advice of his dad.

Another thing about Gronk, he's not pissing his money away. No MTV crib for him. No Ferraris. Just a simple townhouse near Gillette he shares with a couple of teammates.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

go to sportrac.com and look at their contract details

Gronk is still on his rookie deal, and is due to make much more over the next few years

Edelman did nothing the first half of his career and they signed him to a cheap deal and he only emerged when Welker left

it's not about discounts or backroom deals, it's about a team that manages itself better than most

Kind of like this

Holy plausible deniability, Batman! The Patriots are literally outsourcing their PED program. I have to say this Guerrero guy must know his stuff because Pats players always seem to have miraculous recoveries from injury....that the media seems to conveniently ignore.

Gronk is still on his rookie deal, and is due to make much more over the next few years

Edelman did nothing the first half of his career and they signed him to a cheap deal and he only emerged when Welker left

it's not about discounts or backroom deals, it's about a team that manages itself better than most

That's just not plausible, they're clearly cheating. It's in their DNA. Can't wait for the deflate gate style conspiracy emerges on this topic!

Look at what they got those guys playing for. Gronkowski...Vollmer....Edelman...Chandler Jones....The string of F bombs I loosed made the dog bark at me. Incentivized roster bonuses, the works. I mean, they're paying Gronk $250k more than Scott Chandler this year. WTF?

Yeah, if you're looking at their base salary alone....however that's not how the NFL works, or for that matter, has worked since 1993. Gronk has a 2016 cap hit of 6.6 M due to amortized roster and workout bonuses. His contract and Chandler's isn't even close. He also has cap hits of 7/11/12 coming up the next three years.

Not true. In 2012, with two years remaining on his contract (a key bargaining chip), he signed a 6 year 54 M contract, the largest for a TE at the time. It was a big chunk of money to pay out to a TE back then (especially since they also paid Hernandez handsomely)> There were a ton of questions/criticism of the deal since he promptly ended up on injured reserve the next two seasons after signing (before his new contact even went into effect).

Gronk (and the Pats) have obviously proven their detractors wrong, since even only playing 80% of games he's still one of the most dominant offensive talents in the game. The deal turned into a bargain for the Pats.

I will say, on the original topic of hometown discount - Chandler Jones is in the last year of his rookie deal, and who knows if they'll let him walk.

Every team in the league had a shot at Edelman in 2013, and he resigned with the pats for vet minimum. He put up 1000 yards in 2014, and again every team in the league had a shot but he decided a few weeks into free agency to resign. For whatever reason, there wasn't much market for him.

Vollmer is the only guy on this list who I think legitimately can be considered a "hometown discount."

Edited by TheLynchTrain

Jackson was the only 1st rounder on the starting offense.

Realistically, only Nate Solder was. Still, an irrelevant stat since they rarely drafted offensive players in the first round in the Brady era.

Incorrect. He was drafted in 2010. He signed an extension in 2012. Big contract, and I will admit when he spent years on IR it didn't look good for the Pats. And they have him for the next 2 years at very modest cap hits of $6.6M and $7M (modest compared to the matchup nightmare he is).