Dunne interviews 6 NFL guys about Tyrod Taylor

Billick says you can't win with just a great D. Game must have changed because he did exactly that.

The 2000 Ravens didn't have a great D; they had one of the two or three best defenses in league history. They had merely good to great defenses afterward through 2008, but couldn't win anything. In 2006, they went 13-3 but lost 15-6 in the first round because their offense with McNair was completely inept. It was as all season, but the defense saved it. Once the playoffs came, though, they couldn't do it again.

Edit: Billick addresses this issue in Dunne's follow-up piece: http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/16/249314/

Edited by dave mcbride

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TT is not a "run first" QB. And he has already shown he can "beat them with his arm." What I need to see is more middle of the field throws and improvement in crossing plays. And I believe he will add that to his arsenal this off season. I feel very confident we've got our guy enough so that if the Bills don't lock him up soon, I think there is going to be a lot of competition for him when his contract runs out.

No need to lock him up until mid-season. If he shows he's worth it, that is.

For his "rookie" season Taylor did well... And he is obviously the starter going into next season... I still think you need to draft a QB in Rd 2-3 to try to develop and at least back Taylor up... Cut ties with EJ now....

Not sure I see the point in cutting EJ. He's paid-for, not a locker-room cancer demanding to get his job back and the Bills still need 3 QB's. The backup QB pool is poor and will cost you $5M, while a rookie 2-3rd rounder will likely have to be the 3rd guy.

What a great hire Tyler Dunne was for the News. Finally a Bills reporter who gets it. We are not interested in the quarterback evaluations of Jerry Sullivan, Buscaglia etc. They are not qualified to make such evaluations, as there is not an NFL team that would even consider hiring them to evaluate or scout - they lack the qualifications. So when you read them, it's no different than an opinion offered by any drunk on any bar stool in WNY. Sullivan wrote earlier this year that Taylor does not pass his "eye test" as an NFL QB. His eye test! As if he knows anything about QB evaluations

Dunne does it the right way - interviews sources and solicits the opinions of guys who have the credentials to evaluate. Is it just me, or doesn't everybody prefer an evaluation coming from a former NFL offensive coordinator, vs the opinion of Sullivan, Buscaglia and company. I know it takes more work than just tossing out your uninformed opinion, but that's what a good reporter does.

I second this. Dunne is by far the most credible sports writer they have at the News. It's a relief to read his work rather than the high school gossip columns of JS.

What a great hire Tyler Dunne was for the News. Finally a Bills reporter who gets it. We are not interested in the quarterback evaluations of Jerry Sullivan, Buscaglia etc. They are not qualified to make such evaluations, as there is not an NFL team that would even consider hiring them to evaluate or scout - they lack the qualifications. So when you read them, it's no different than an opinion offered by any drunk on any bar stool in WNY. Sullivan wrote earlier this year that Taylor does not pass his "eye test" as an NFL QB. His eye test! As if he knows anything about QB evaluations

Dunne does it the right way - interviews sources and solicits the opinions of guys who have the credentials to evaluate. Is it just me, or doesn't everybody prefer an evaluation coming from a former NFL offensive coordinator, vs the opinion of Sullivan, Buscaglia and company. I know it takes more work than just tossing out your uninformed opinion, but that's what a good reporter does.

This

The thing I hate about the conversation of OMG CAN HE THROW IT XX TIMES A GAME, is that QBs who throw it that many times a game are making a lot of short passes to get chunks of ~5 yards at a time. With how successful our running game is, we don't need to be making those throws all game, so I don't understand the obsession in our current offense.

This is a very good point, Dork. If you can reliably earn 4-6 yards with certain play-calls, who cares if they are running or passing plays? Some teams use the high percentage short passes of the West Coast offense as a substitute for a run game. We don't need that substitute with Roman and our backs.

But I still wonder, if our good ground game was stymied by a great run D, could TT lead us to victory? Or if we found ourselves 20 points behind in the 3rd quarter? If the situation demanded it, could TT become Dan Fouts, for example - instead of one of the today's dink-and-dunk QBs - and throw downfield for 300+ yards?

TD has done some puff pieces - but good puff pieces that provide us with some new insight about a player.

He's also done some more analytical, critical stuff.

From my perspective, the best Bills beat reporter today. He'll work to get you information you care about and present it in a way that balances optimism & positivity with hard realism.

Edited by hondo in seattle

One random thing I got out of that was I always thought Brunell was bigger...

Was a good article and concept, but it was obvious some of the experts didn't really watch tyrod and the Bills a ton, and kind of just went along with the general narrative. Whaley might have something to say about Billick saying "they’ve got to get some skill-position players around him"

yep. his approach was great. he had both fans who are all in (wood, brunell) and skeptics (Gilbride, billick).. this is very good journalism ... Sulky take note. bank this article people .. it is must read before having any discussion on TT. What I took from it is the Bills should wait until after next season think contract; won't cost much more than if they did it now; once you give a starting QB a long term deal, he gets the "franchise QB" money, whether you do it now or 12 months from now... the status = the money. the only wild card is serious injury, but I think TT will bet on himself not getting blown up next year. You could already see him scooting out of bounds more quickly in the back half of the season...

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

The 2000 Ravens didn't have a great D; they had one of the two or three best defenses in league history. They had merely good to great defenses afterward through 2008, but couldn't win anything. In 2006, they went 13-3 but lost 15-6 in the first round because their offense with McNair was completely inept. It was as all season, but the defense saved it. Once the playoffs came, though, they couldn't do it again.

Edit: Billick addresses this issue in Dunne's follow-up piece: http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/16/249314/

I think this and Billick's follow up are 100% correct.