After further review, I'm still happy Rex is the coach

I was one of the people BEGGING the team to hire Rex. I wanted him hired so freaking badly, because I imagined what he could do with this D.

It didn't go great in year #1. 8-8 is not what we expected. The defense was actually the weakness of a Rex Ryan team. NOBODY would have predicted that.

I, like many, vented frustrations. However, I am here to say I am still happy Rex is the coach.

First of all, he went 8-8 in his first year with a brand new QB few had heard of a year ago. Tyrod looking pretty good is a CREDIT to Rex. In fact, if we have found some sort of stability at QB it is because Rex wanted this guy, and that means Rex fixed the most important issue on this team.

So oddly enough, it could be Rex Ryan, the "defensive coach" would found us a QB. That matters a LOT more than having a great defense. We HAD a great defense the past few years and it didn't matter because the QB couldn't do anything.

Now the issue becomes fixing the issues on D.

I would not count on Aaron Williams. That neck injury is scary. Sure he will probably try to return but we saw what missing out top safety meant to this D. This team also needs some LBers. Sending Mario packing if he won't buy in will help as well.

I think the Bills are trending up. If Tyrod improves even a little next season and stays healthy the Bills will be able to compete with anyone.

Aside from all of that, Rex is an extremely bright man. You can heard it when he speaks at length about football, about sports in general, and especially sports history. He has a deep appreciation of the history of the game and is very well-spoken and thoughtful.

It will get figured out.

The team of Whaley and Rex is going to get it done. After seeing the names being tossed around for HC gigs right now we are in a good spot.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Not a bad post. I tend to agree for the most part. I'm a lot less enthused now than I was when Rex was first hired (I was also hoping we'd hire him), but I do see reasons for optimism. The D showed flashes of success last year, and was great-not-elite in Pettine's similar system 2 years ago. They're definitely going to lose some talent -- possibly up to 3 Williamses -- but it's plausible that the D could still be significantly better next year. A combo of the players better understanding/buying into the scheme and the coaches better understanding the players and adapting the scheme or playcalling accordingly could mean a big improvement. On offense, the hope is that Taylor improves in his 2nd year as a starter, and 1st year taking all the 1st-team reps in camp and preseason. Add in some better health at the skill positions, and this could be a low-end top 10 offense.

Of course, things could get worse on both sides of the ball, but I'm not melancholy heading into the offseason like I have been in a lot of recent years.

I've struggled with it, but I think I'm in the same place.

I fully recognize that I could be very, very wrong. And the penalties and overall lack of discipline this year are troubling, to say the least. However, I really don't have any doubt that Rex will eventually right the defense -- assuming that he gets the right personnel in place (and that's a very big "if").

So, on balance, I think you're right. If the offense (particularly Tyrod) continues trending in the right direction, 2016 could finally be the year.

Now please excuse me while I attempt to kick the football out of Lucy's hold.

Edited by Bills Fan in MD

I was one of the people BEGGING the team to hire Rex. I wanted him hired so freaking badly, because I imagined what he could do with this D.

It didn't go great in year #1. 8-8 is not what we expected. The defense was actually the weakness of a Rex Ryan team. NOBODY would have predicted that.

I, like many, vented frustrations. However, I am here to say I am still happy Rex is the coach.

First of all, he went 8-8 in his first year with a brand new QB few had heard of a year ago. Tyrod looking pretty good is a CREDIT to Rex. In fact, if we have found some sort of stability at QB it is because Rex wanted this guy, and that means Rex fixed the most important issue on this team.

So oddly enough, it could be Rex Ryan, the "defensive coach" would found us a QB. That matters a LOT more than having a great defense. We HAD a great defense the past few years and it didn't matter because the QB couldn't do anything.

I would not count on Aaron Williams. That neck injury is scary. Sure he will probably try to return but we saw what missing out top safety meant to this D. This team also needs some LBers. Sending Mario packing if he won't buy in will help as well.

I think the Bills are trending up. If Tyrod improves even a little next season and stays healthy the Bills will be able to compete with anyone.

Aside from all of that, Rex is an extremely bright man. You can heard it when he speaks at length about football, about sports in general, and especially sports history. He has a deep appreciation of the history of the game and is very well-spoken and thoughtful.

It will get figured out.

The team of Whaley and Rex is going to get it done. After seeing the names being tossed around for HC gigs right now we are in a good spot.

Great post. Rex Ryan is a great coach and this team is going to be a contender with him. All of these fans that were calling for him to be fired are ridiculous as it takes a while to put together a winning program for a new head coach in a new organization. (See Bill Belichick of the 2000 New England Patriots going 5-11 his first year as head coach). Consistency is the most important part of a winning organization. I am very happy to have Rex Ryan as our coach.

I'm still not convinced Rex was a good hire, and I would have voted to fire him if I had a vote.

However,

1) I am not convinced that somebody better is available

2) A new coach would still require time for everyone to understand the scheme

3) This is a fairly young team, there are many guys who will get better

4) The injuries may not have given Rex a fair chance

5) Mario mailed it in

6) The offense improved

7) Whaley and Rex may now understand each other better, and should be able to get some players through draft and FA that will help

8) Firing a head coach after one year is not a good business strategy

I still don't like Rex as the coach, but I understand why it was too soon to fire him.

It will get figured out.

I hope you are right. But. Think you are wrong. I like Whaley a lot though.

I'm still not convinced Rex was a good hire, and I would have voted to fire him if I had a vote.

However,

1) I am not convinced that somebody better is available ..........there almost certainly is but identifying those coaches is a different matter.

2) A new coach would still require time for everyone to understand the scheme.............Fallacy. Plenty of first year coaches oversee quick turnarounds to the playoffs. There are both advantages and disadvantages to being a new coach.

3) This is a fairly young team, there are many guys who will get better...........the talent on this team isn't particularly young....will get younger this offseason but at the expense of some talented players........and yes there are always some players who can get better. Quickest way to improve is from within.

4) The injuries may not have given Rex a fair chance............the key injuries were Harvin and RB's early....but offense wasn't the problem. Aaron Williams loss was overrated.......people forget that Brady's record day was against him. Blaming that injury for subsequent poor play is a reach.

5) Mario mailed it in............ok. But he and Kyle weren't being put in position to make plays. Rex D forced the action away from them and to LB's and safeties......which was more of a structural flaw based on the concentration of talent than a problem caused by excessive injuries.

6) The offense improved.............best point so far.....he brought in Tyrod and if Tyrod turns into a franchise QB that is huge.

7) Whaley and Rex may now understand each other better, and should be able to get some players through draft and FA that will help............I don't tend to believe there has been an epiphany of any sort in this regard.

8) Firing a head coach after one year is not a good business strategy............absolutely right. See Dan Snyder.

I still don't like Rex as the coach, but I understand why it was too soon to fire him.

Edited by #BADOL