Robert Woods

Yes, IMO you are wrong to feel that way.

Bottom line is he has been given three years to make plays and he hasn't made them.

It's a walk year so we are likely to see his ceiling, which simply has to be higher than he has shown because he was absolutely not supposed to be JAG coming into the NFL as a polished and highly successful WR at USC. But in 3 seasons all he has been is JAG.

How many different quarterbacks? Offensive Coordinator's

Do you count last year in the "3 years" when he played injured all year?

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many different quarterbacks? Offensive Coordinator's

Do you count last year in the "3 years" when he played injured all year?

How many different QB's has DeAndre Hopkins had?

Playmaking WR make plays either way.

Woods has been consistently JAG.

How many different QB's has DeAndre Hopkins had?

Playmaking WR make plays either way.

Woods has been consistently JAG.

i think there is always a bit more to the story. But i find no reason to argue your point

Do teams really draft players to be #2?

SOrry but that is BS. Teams draft what they believe will be the best player available and hope they can be the best at their trade.

yes they do actually. teams often draft complimentary players when team building

Edited by 3rdand12

i think there is always a bit more to the story. But i find no reason to argue your point

yes they do actually. teams often draft complimentary players when team building

1) Precisely.......if he had some plays on his resume that showed he was capable of "so much more" there would be an argument.......but he really has been JAG.

2) I don't think they drafted Woods to be a middling #2 WR during his first contract. Would have to disagree if you think that way. Do the comments by Whaley indicate that they are satisfied with his production and therefore that draft pick? They were hoping to get more from Woods, no question. He does a lot of small things well but he hasn't done the big things. Looking forward to seeing the best of him but not getting my hopes up that he goes Peerless Price on it.

1) Precisely.......if he had some plays on his resume that showed he was capable of "so much more" there would be an argument.......but he really has been JAG.

2) I don't think they drafted Woods to be a middling #2 WR during his first contract. Would have to disagree if you think that way. Do the comments by Whaley indicate that they are satisfied with his production and therefore that draft pick? They were hoping to get more from Woods, no question. He does a lot of small things well but he hasn't done the big things. Looking forward to seeing the best of him but not getting my hopes up that he goes Peerless Price on it.

you are correct.

shall we bring the deficiencies in QBing and OC into the dialogue, during Roberts tenure?

Should we consider the horrid O lines under Marrone protecting our most fragile EJM?

are these not factors in the success of WRS ?

Look at Sammy's lack of stats in the first half of the year. last year. terrible really.

I would suggest all receivers in Buffalo have suffered due to incompetence at QB and OC for years.

Gailey had his moments and i respect his efforts. But he had noodle armed Fitz.

I wish folks would consider the bigger picture when evaluating /critiquing a player.

Bills have sucked for a long time.

Maybe this year everyone gets a break.

If Woods has a good year . please do not blame it on a contract year because thats bs. he has always played hard

and yet.. bills won't be able to pay him next year.

Probably true. But I still think there's a chance he's back. The Bills would welcome him back at the right price and I think Woods would consider staying in Buffalo if the team makes the playoffs this year. He's always been a team first guy and I think there's a part of him that would love to be a part of the nucleus of a contender.

Long shot for sure, but there's still a shot.

you are correct.

shall we bring the deficiencies in QBing and OC into the dialogue, during Roberts tenure?

Should we consider the horrid O lines under Marrone protecting our most fragile EJM?

Look at Sammy's lack of stats in the first half of the year. last year. terrible really.

I would suggest all receivers in Buffalo have suffered due to incompetence at QB and OC for years.

I wish folks would consider the bigger picture when evaluating /critiquing a player.

If Woods has a good year . please do not blame it on a contract year because thats bs. he has always played hard

Then lets take the OC and QB out of it: Robert Woods hasn't played as well as Chris Freakin' Hogan the past two years. I'm rooting for him to be amazing this year, but he's been anything but his past couple seasons.

Edited by Chilly

Then lets take the OC and QB out of it: Robert Woods hasn't played as well as Chris Freakin' Hogan the past two years. I'm rooting for him to be amazing this year, but he's been anything but his past couple seasons.

I never expected amazing. He was never described as that.

Efficient might be a better term?

Woods is a player i have paid attention to since the drafting of him. I have said multiple times i am not a statistics guy. But i do watch the games and sometimes twice or more.

Should he be amazing ? I mean Bills cannot afford two over the top Wrs. and i do not think they want that.

Clay is really the number two.

Woods is a diligent steady player. TT did not find a rhythm with him last year. Thats on Tyrod not Robert. Not enough can be said about his groin injury.

I had already fired him and dumped him and bitsched about him , till i found out it was a groin. horrible for runner or pass catcher .

let see what he puts on the field this year with TT in his second year and able to look at his options before checking down .

you cannot take the game planners HC /OC out of it Chilly. They define the play calling.

Edited by 3rdand12

That's not a realistic expectation of any NFL team, not in the salary cap era. There's not enough money to pay for "elite" (however you wish to define it) players at every spot. Front offices have to make choices.

Woods probably isn't an elite #2 anywhere else in the league, but in this system on this roster he might very well be an elite #2 in Buffalo. With how focused GRo is on both the running game and multiple TE sets, the Bills needs a guy like Woods who is a team first guy, able to play anywhere on the field, and isn't afraid to be physical. Last year was a disappointment for Woods, certainly, but playing with two groin tears isn't the easiest thing to do while being productive. He's got all the talent: runs great routes, has good hands, blocks, is tough as hell, goes over the middle and can push the vertical. He's not Sammy (who is?) but he's far and away the second best WR on the team and it's not even close.

I'm excited to see what Woods will bring this year now that he's healthy, playing for a contract year, has the same QB for the first time in his 4 year tenure, and is in the same system -- one which he is perfectly suited for. He might not be "elite", but he has the skill set to be very, very good this season.

And that might be all the Bills need out of their #2 guy with weapons like Watkins, McCoy, and Clay taking up a good chunk of targets.

That might be why i literally said it was an unrealistic expectation. But there are teams with elite players at most positions.

you are correct.

Blaming? :lol:

I've said it all offseason, I am looking forward to the walk years of Woods and Goodwin because this is when we can expect their best.

Whether you like it or not walk-years tend to provide a lot of motivation to that player........and that can only be a good thing for players who have underperformed expectations.

Blaming? :lol:

I've said it all offseason, I am looking forward to the walk years of Woods and Goodwin because this is when we can expect their best.

Whether you like it or not walk-years tend to provide a lot of motivation to that player........and that can only be a good thing for players who have underperformed expectations.

Of course their best efforts in ! Thats understood i think.

But some folks will come back saying , " that is was why he played so well "

I think a healthy Robert whom has a very good year, will have earned it honestly.

lets see who comes around and says "contract year ". i suspect you might be the first

I do appreciate your context and corrections. i hope to improve my communication skills !

It may be too late for me though

I never expected amazing. He was never described as that.

Efficient might be a better term?

Woods is a player i have paid attention to since the drafting of him. I have said multiple times i am not a statistics guy. But i do watch the games and sometimes twice or more.

Should he be amazing ? I mean Bills cannot afford two over the top Wrs. and i do not think they want that.

Clay is really the number two.

Woods is a diligent steady player. TT did not find a rhythm with him last year. Thats on Tyrod not Robert. Not enough can be said about his groin injury.

I had already fired him and dumped him and bitsched about him , till i found out it was a groin. horrible for runner or pass catcher .

let see what he puts on the field this year with TT in his second year and able to look at his options before checking down .

you cannot take the game planners HC /OC out of it Chilly. They define the play calling.

I'm not taking anything out of it. The bottom line is Robert Woods hasn't been as good as Chris Hogan, who was on the same team, the past couple seasons.

Come on dude. Woods was playing hurt and is clearly far superior to Lamb.

Talent wise? Absolutely. On the field the last couple of seasons? No, including 2 years ago when he wasn't hurt.

Hogan - #75 FO DVOA Rank

Woods - #79 FO DVOA Rank

Hogan - #60 FO DVOA Rank

Woods - #64 FO DVOA Rank

Hogan - 61% catch rate

Woods - 59% Catch Rate

Hogan - 67% catch rate

Woods - 62.5% Catch Rate

Hogan - 7.62 Yards Per Target

Woods - 6.9 Yards Per Target

Hogan - 6.98 Yards Per Target

Woods - 6.72 Yards Per Target

Hogan - .034 TD Per Target

Woods - .038 TD Per Target

Hogan - .066 TD Per Target

Woods - .048 TD Per Target

Edited by Chilly

Talent wise? Absolutely. On the field the last couple of seasons? No, including 2 years ago when he wasn't hurt.

Hogan - #75 FO DVOA Rank

Woods - #79 FO DVOA Rank

Hogan - #60 FO DVOA Rank

Woods - #64 FO DVOA Rank

Hogan - 61% catch rate

Woods - 59% Catch Rate

Hogan - 67% catch rate

Woods - 62.5% Catch Rate

There's a large difference between being the number two receiver and going against the number two cornerback and being a third receiver going against the third or fourth cornerback.

I'm not taking anything out of it. The bottom line is Robert Woods hasn't been as good as Chris Hogan, who was on the same team, the past couple seasons.

Not sure i can agree with the comparison. But I am not here to prove myself correct.

There's a large difference between being the number two receiver and going against the number two cornerback and being a third receiver going against the third or fourth cornerback.

Agreed, and yet number two wide receivers put up better statistics than number three wide receivers all across the league.

Agreed, and yet number two wide receivers put up better statistics than number three wide receivers all across the league.

Interesting. I'll await those stats.

Edited by Doc

Hogan - #75 FO DVOA Rank

Woods - #79 FO DVOA Rank

Hogan - #60 FO DVOA Rank

Woods - #64 FO DVOA Rank

Hogan - 61% catch rate

Woods - 59% Catch Rate

Hogan - 67% catch rate

Woods - 62.5% Catch Rate

Excellent work. You are wasting your time though. Plenty on this board decided Hogan sucked 3 camps ago because their boy D'Rick was let get go by nasty old Doug Marrone so they will not accept that he is better than a lamppost let alone Robert Woods.

Edited by GunnerBill