2016 Draft LB thread

Beerball

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two thoughts come to mind:

1) coaches have to optimize between coverage ability and traditional downhill play. I agree that it's not about simply finding he best cover man.

2) a lot of the discussion centers around sub packages etc. There will always be a spot for the bigger downhill players; the current game also happens to be developing a role for the smaller cover guys as well

If the idea (for the sake of a hypothetical scenario) is to draft a couple of linebackers (one 'thumper', one cover LB) and have them playing specific packages, I agree that Reggie is a pointless pick at 19. With teams not being in base packages more than 50% vs any given team, a 1st on a bit-part player is reckless. Same way that giving a Spikes type of LB anything more than vet minimum is.

There's obviously different opinions on Reggie at play here and, to a greater extent, what constitutes a true 3-down LB. At the heart of it, it's a philosophical discussion. If we're just going to end up butting heads over this, I'm happy to drop it and agree to disagree.

If the idea (for the sake of a hypothetical scenario) is to draft a couple of linebackers (one 'thumper', one cover LB) and have them playing specific packages, I agree that Reggie is a pointless pick at 19. With teams not being in base packages more than 50% vs any given team, a 1st on a bit-part player is reckless. Same way that giving a Spikes type of LB anything more than vet minimum is.

There's obviously different opinions on Reggie at play here and, to a greater extent, what constitutes a true 3-down LB. At the heart of it, it's a philosophical discussion. If we're just going to end up butting heads over this, I'm happy to drop it and agree to disagree.

I actually think we are pretty close to agreement on this one regarding what the players can do skills wise.

I won't be disappointed with Reggie per se; I simply won't be as excited about the upside of what he brings to this D as a guy like Lee.

And no, I would never encourage you to drop your discourse of a subject; you know your stuff

It seems you guys are having a very reasonable discussion to me. The kind us uninitiated can learn from.

My take away is that regardless of position, at 19 you ideally want an impact player who is on the field the majority of the time.

AS to who that player is , is absolutely the point of dialogue !!

Wtih Brown you can safely take MLB off the board in the first two rounds. Since Nix took over it seems like they don't put big resources into LB. Manny Lawson, Andra Davis, and Brandon Spikes were the biggest free agents they got at that position in that time. Kiko was the only LB they drafted before round 3 in that time. I think they go with a D-line round 1 and an OLB pass rusher round 2. I do think they grab an MLB in round 3 or 4.

theres a solution to that, dont have Reggie cover on 3rd, let him rush the passer, Ragland was the leader of the best defense in the league last year, we need that type of leadership on the Def in Buf. People need to stop comparing him to Spikes he is wayyy faster than Spikes and faster then Brown if you were to actually look up the 40 stats. With Zack Brown being one of the better cover LBs in the NFL taking Reggie in the 1st (if the Bills take a LB 1st) makes a lot more sense now.

It seems you guys are having a very reasonable discussion to me. The kind us uninitiated can learn from.

My take away is that regardless of position, at 19 you ideally want an impact player who is on the field the majority of the time.

AS to who that player is , is absolutely the point of dialogue !!

In that case it would have to be a 1st round true start ready NT, freeing up Dareus to rush as a 3-4 DE because by that logic the NT would be getting the most playing time and we havent signed one in FA yet.

theres a solution to that, dont have Reggie cover on 3rd, let him rush the passer, Ragland was the leader of the best defense in the league last year, we need that type of leadership on the Def in Buf. People need to stop comparing him to Spikes he is wayyy faster than Spikes and faster then Brown if you were to actually look up the 40 stats. With Zack Brown being one of the better cover LBs in the NFL taking Reggie in the 1st (if the Bills take a LB 1st) makes a lot more sense now.

In that case it would have to be a 1st round true start ready NT, freeing up Dareus to rush as a 3-4 DE because by that logic the NT would be getting the most playing time and we havent signed one in FA yet.

I am not sure true NT is the right wording. Ideally you get a 3 down player on the line. Even if his strength is stopping the run.

But as some have mentioned , and i sure Bandit would chime in, a fellow like D J Reader could be had in later rounds and would serve well as a two down player if not more.

I think we mean the same thing though Marty. There are some fine write ups on Walterfootball and there are about 8 DL i would be pleased to see at 19

You point about Ragland is well spoken.

If they take a player LIKE Correa who also has some speed you get a nice blend.

Edited by 3rdand12

@FantasyProsNFL

EXPLOSION NUMBERS for LB Prospects. combine snub Jatavis Brown @ 80! WOW @JimMillerRFN @PatKirwanCBS @realfootballtv

CfXmE6pUsAANSV-.jpg

I would have Brown graded as a safety, not a LB.

He's also missing the following:

Will Ratelle - LB/North Dakota 81.8

Luke Rhodes - LB/William & Mary 73.8

Joe Walker - LB/Oregon 70.8

Jason Whittingham - LB/Utah 73.7

Elandon Roberts - LB/Houston 72.0

Edited by thebandit27

@realfootballtv

Top #NFLDraft ILBs R.Ragland T.Matakevich K.Brothers D.Alexander S.Wright III B.Martinez A.Morrison J.Norris More: http://bit.ly/Top-NFL-Draft-ILBs

@realfootballtv

Top #NFLDraft OLBs M.Jack N.Spence D.Lee L.Floyd J.Perry J.Smith S.Cravens D.Jones J.Jenkins K.Fackrell More here: http://bit.ly/Top-NFL-Draft-OLBs

@realfootballtv

Top #NFLDraft ILBs R.Ragland T.Matakevich K.Brothers D.Alexander S.Wright III B.Martinez A.Morrison J.Norris More: http://bit.ly/Top-NFL-Draft-ILBs

@realfootballtv

Top #NFLDraft OLBs M.Jack N.Spence D.Lee L.Floyd J.Perry J.Smith S.Cravens D.Jones J.Jenkins K.Fackrell More here: http://bit.ly/Top-NFL-Draft-OLBs

Regarding Ragland: "He became the third player in Alabama history to earn unanimous first-team All-America honors, joining Cornelius Bennett and Derrick Thomas — both of whom were top-4 draft picks and who had 14 Pro Bowl appearances between them."

It would be amazing if he was there at 19. A Bills fan can dream...