Sammy Watkins DeAndre Hopkins & QB's

The slow start this year and lack of perceived communication between TT and Watkins was cited as a fair argument.

Then I read that DeAndre Hopkins has 104 catches and 1,438 yards (vs. 49 and 911) but he has done it with Hoyer, Mallett, TJ Yates & Weeden throwing to him, meaning absolutely no chemistry but still success. First receiver with 4 100 yard games with different qb's in a season.

I know I have repeated this over and over, but it is ridiculous to read this and wonder what Roman & Rx are thinking.

Watkins came out and complained that he wanted 10 targets and I wonder did any coach pay attention?

Will things change in 2016?

Edited by Billsfan1972

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:doh: This cannot be addressed at this point and it's nothing to worry about at this juncture.

yes it can. Whaley overpaid for a talent. Roman treats him like he has the plague in the second half of games.( well most of the games)

There is simply no reason this kid doesn't have well over 1000 yards already. Put Sammy on a good team different story.

Who is the bigger idiot here Whaley for overpaying? or the coaches who are clueless? I go with coaching. sammy will be gone in 2-3 more years. is it an immediate issue probably not. but nothing like a PO'd geuine #1 on this dysfunctional team.

But that is an opinion based on the ongoing clown show OBD is selling as continuity for next season. Imo.

yes it can. Whaley overpaid for a talent. Roman treats him like he has the plague in the second half of games.( well most of the games)

There is simply no reason this kid doesn't have well over 1000 yards already. Put Sammy on a good team different story.

Who is the bigger idiot here Whaley for overpaying? or the coaches who are clueless? I go with coaching. sammy will be gone in 2-3 more years. is it an immediate issue probably not. but nothing like a PO'd geuine #1 on this dysfunctional team.

But that is an opinion based on the ongoing clown show OBD is selling as continuity for next season. Imo.

What changes happen between the first and second half in games from a playcalling perspective that cause you to think the issue is Roman? Do you believe that Sammy all of a sudden not running 9 routes that he has been so successful on all year?

I think it's far more likely defenses change their coverages given our lack of a #2 receiving target and Tyrod wasn't trusting the throws to Sammy afterwards. I need to go do an all 22 study to find out because you can't see it on tv.

Sammy is the top deep receiver in the NFL this year, and is developing into a hell of a player, yet Whaley is an idiot for being aggressive and getting his guy?

I don't get criticism like this at all.

From https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/12/31/pro-offseason-to-do-list-for-the-buffalo-bills/

"Watkins is the most-targeted receiver in the league on deep passes, with 44.7 percent of targets 20 or more yards downfield. Hes converted 34 targets into a league-leading eight scores, 16 receptions, 606 yards, and just one drop on deep passes."

Edited by BlueFire

Okay. Whine on!

Yes what could have been? The second half of the KC game was an abomination.

It amazes me that defenses make adjustments, but offenses can't? Are you serious.

Odell Beckham dropped a 60 yard TD vs. Carolina and was neutralized for the next 2.5 quarters and then in the fourth made two key catches to tie the game. Everyone knows that Julio Jones & Antonio Brown are getting their targets and catches and it still happens. What about Fitz & Brandon Marshall?

Of course with the game on the line vs. KC & Philly TT was throwing (and looking) to Hogan and Woods.....

It's amazing people spend their time on this when there's plenty of real things to criticize this team on.

So go criticize Whaley, Rex, the D, draft picks, Oline....... I choose to be pissed about Watkins and him be under-utilized and costing the Bills in a # of games.

Edited by Billsfan1972

Yes what could have been? The second half of the KC game was an abomination.

It amazes me that defenses make adjustments, but offenses can't? Are you serious.

Odell Beckham dropped a 60 yard TD vs. Carolina and was neutralized for the next 2.5 quarters and then in the fourth made two key catch to tie the game. Everyone knows that Julio Jones & Antonio Brown are getting their targets and catches and it still happens. What about Fitz & Brandon Marshall?

Of course with the game on the line vs. KC & Philly TT was throwing (and looking) to Hogan and Woods.....

Everything you've said here doesn't have anything to do with root cause of the way Sammy was used this year. There's multiple things that happened:

1. Sammy was injured. He missed three games and was limited near the start of the season.

2. We had no receiving threat outside of Sammy when Clay and Harvin got hurt.

3. Tyrod is still learning to trust his throws. When teams adjusted to play tighter coverage, Tyrod stopped looking Sammy's way. This has changed as the season has gone on, to good results.

Yet despite all of this, Sammy Watkins is the top deep receiver in the NFL. There has been clear progression over the course of the year, just look at the game splits I linked above.