Injuries are the #1 thing that derailed this season, Mario 2

TheFunPolice

As Bill, Mario has been consistently in double digits sacks. His sack total went up every year. He is down 10 sacks this year from last year. He was a top 2 DE in the NFL until this year.

He has been extremely consistent as a Bill.

Agree 100%. It's more disappointing because I considered Rex a top defensive coach & I never thought that about Marrone and offense.

What does any of this have to do with the non-performance he's cashed-in in 2015? I could dispute what you've said about him, but what you've said has nothing to do with what he's done this year. He couldn't even muster an assisted tackle Sunday, in a win, with the opposition only scoring 6 points. If you're a top 2 DE...top 5 DE...top 20 DE, that never happens.

Sounds like a pretty good DC. How is he as an HC?

Rex's record as a HC in New York was woefully impacted by his inability to field a competent offense. Would you agree with this point? And if yes, do you see the same thing happening here? And if not, why do you have no faith that he'll do what he has done on defense?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What does any of this have to do with the non-performance he's cashed-in in 2015? I could dispute what you've said about him, but what you've said has nothing to do with what he's done this year. He couldn't even muster an assisted tackle Sunday, in a win, with the opposition only scoring 6 points. If you're a top 2 DE...top 5 DE...top 20 DE, that never happens.

Rex's record as a HC in New York was woefully impacted by his inability to field a competent offense. Would you agree with this point? And if yes, do you see the same thing happening here? And if not, why do you have no faith that he'll do what he has done on defense?

I've explained this 100 times.

i remember the Bills torching Rex's defense twice last year. Once they did it without even practicing.

Mario Williams when Wade Phillips took over in Houston as DC and asked Mario to play OLBer instead of a DE in a 4-3 scheme his play also dropped off badly. Texan fans were glad he was gone until Mike Pettine, Jim Schwartz figured out how to utilize a great pass rusher.

There is a real reason the man was coveted by Bills fans and then given 100 million dollars to play DE in Buffalo. Then Dave Wannstedt proved it isn't always successful to just line him up over an OT and then not blitz.

The Buffalo Bills have a quarter billion dollars invested in their defensive line and hired a head coach / DC who has no clue how to best utilize them. Welcome back Dave Wannstedt! Oh, Wait! At least ole Dave managed 37 sacks in his season as DC. Currently, the 2015 Buffalo Bills have only 20 sacks. :sick: ... :bag: ... :thumbdown: ... :wallbash:

So as bad as Wannstedt was he was 17 sacks better than Wrecks Ryan!! How anyone can keep defending this coach is beyond me :lol:

Edited by Nihilarian

i remember the Bills torching Rex's defense twice last year. Once they did it without even practicing.

You do? :w00t:

I remember the entire fanbase being apoplectic for the offense doing jack **** in the first matchup because they were playing with a lead...that was given to them by SIX TURNOVERS, three of which happened on the first four possessions.

Sammy had two long catches in that game that accounted for 145 of their net 210 yards. THAT'S A TORCHING!?

You can't make your point by just making **** up.

Mario Williams when Wade Phillips took over in Houston as DC and asked Mario to play OLBer instead of a DE in a 4-3 scheme his play also dropped off badly. Texan fans were glad he was gone until Mike Pettine, Jim Schwartz figured out how to utilize a great pass rusher.

There is a real reason the man was coveted by Bills fans and then given 100 million dollars to play DE in Buffalo. Then Dave Wannstedt proved it isn't always successful to just line him up over an OT and then not blitz.

The Buffalo Bills have a quarter billion dollars invested in their defensive line and hired a head coach / DC who has no clue how to best utilize them. Welcome back Dave Wannstedt! Oh, Wait! At least ole Dave managed 37 sacks in his season as DC. Currently, the 2015 Buffalo Bills have only 20 sacks. :sick: ... :bag: ... :thumbdown: ... :wallbash:

So as bad as Wannstedt was he was 17 sacks better than Wrecks Ryan!! How anyone can keep defending this coach is beyond me :lol:

Mario played in just 5 games under Wade and averaged a sack a game.

I remember the entire fanbase being apoplectic for the offense doing jack **** in the first matchup because they were playing with a lead...that was given to them by SIX TURNOVERS, three of which happened on the first four possessions.

Sammy had two long catches in that game that accounted for 145 of their net 210 yards. THAT'S A TORCHING!?

The guy covering Sammy called. He just got out of the burn unit.

Why did you leave out the game in Detroit? Why did you leave out the Jets defensive stats/rankings last year and the year before? Because you want to remember a Chevette as if it were a Mercedes?

I want Rex to succeed as much as you do, but I look at the past performances and I'm concerned. I bought into the theory that it was the last 2 GMs and owners fault in NY. I guess not.

You seem to think by dumping a #1 overall pick and calling Preston Brown a dummy we will get better. I tend to doubt that will work.

Why did you leave out the game in Detroit? Why did you leave out the Jets defensive stats/rankings last year and the year before? Because you want to remember a Chevette as if it were a Mercedes?

I want Rex to succeed as much as you do, but I look at the past performances and I'm concerned. I bought into the theory that it was the last 2 GMs and owners fault in NY. I guess not.

You seem to think by dumping a #1 overall pick and calling Preston Brown a dummy we will get better. I tend to doubt that will work.

And as we already talked about, both 2014 Jets CB's are out of a job...for a reason. I brought it up to call BS on the point you made by making **** up. I thought I was pretty clear about that.

OK, I'll give ya that. What I should have said was that Mario was considered an underachiever with the Texan's and a lot of their fans were glad to see him gone.

"Hard to believe now, but there was a time not too long ago when Texan fans openly debated the appropriate amount for the Texans to allocate this past offseason to re-sign defensive end/outside linebacker/chronic underachiever Mario Williams."

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/buffalo-bills-fans-tweet-their-hatred-for-mario-williams-6715443

"However, nagging injuries and a coaching staff that acknowledged that his work ethic left something to be desired earned him a reputation as an underachiever in Houston."

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/11/top-6-former-texans-wed-like-to-see-fail/

And as we already talked about, both 2014 Jets CB's are out of a job...for a reason. I brought it up to call BS on the point you made by making **** up. I thought I was pretty clear about that.

Rex was given an all star team this year and decided to mess with it, despite saying that he would not. In game 2 of the season his "it's all about Rex" gene kicked in. That experiment failed and cost this fan base its first trip to the playoffs in many years. 75% of last year's defense has us already in the playoffs and teams hoping not to play us. I hope to be wrong but I do not see a single sign the defense will be playoff caliber next year. And I don't imagine we'l improve by cutting one of the most talented defenders in the NFL.

I hope that no matter what Rex has to work with, the freshman team from Orchard Park HS or the entire Pro Bowl roster or whatever, he makes it work and we make the playoffs next year. Can you spell your vision for how you see that happening? Because I can't see it happening no matter how much I squint. What I can see happening is one or two good games and Rex really pumping his fist with excitement as we wind our way to a 23rd ranked defense that had 2 good games and a team with a 6 to 8 win season.

This is a bizarre point. You're comparing apples and oranges, but you're not even giving the oranges a fair crack.

Eliminating this season, with both guys having 10 years in the league, Rex Ryan had top-10 defenses every year but one. And they were 11 that year.

I think we're talking about Rex's ability to coach a defense in this discussion, so let's not ignore the consistent success he's had. Mario Williams has been many things, consistent isn't among them.

i'm trying to put this in to the right words and have failed because i've been rather aloof with everyfrackingthing. (i am off a week and wanted to get a lot done on the farm and such. the weather has been nothing but rain for weeks - it's too wet to do a damn thing)

Rex Ryan as a defensive coordinator > Rex Ryan as a head coach.

Rex Ryan as a head coach cannot do one or a combination of the following:

1) instruct his defensive scheme

2) cannot run his defense without specialty players

c) does not have what it takes to succeed in this league anymore/outdated.

d) struggling to adapt to a new team

5) struggling to adapt to injury

f) has the wrong coordinators

Rex Ryan needs more time to truly be judged but based upon what I have seen I do not want to give him more time based upon what I saw in New York.

Nate Hackett > Rex Ryan?

Rex was given an all star team this year and decided to mess with it, despite saying that he would not. In game 2 of the season his "it's all about Rex" gene kicked in. That experiment failed and cost this fan base its first trip to the playoffs in many years. 75% of last year's defense has us already in the playoffs and teams hoping not to play us. I hope to be wrong but I do not see a single sign the defense will be playoff caliber next year. And I don't imagine we'l improve by cutting one of the most talented defenders in the NFL.

I hope that no matter what Rex has to work with, the freshman team from Orchard Park HS or the entire Pro Bowl roster or whatever, he makes it work and we make the playoffs next year. Can you spell your vision for how you see that happening? Because I can't see it happening no matter how much I squint. What I can see happening is one or two good games and Rex really pumping his fist with excitement as we wind our way to a 23rd ranked defense that had 2 good games and a team with a 6 to 8 win season.

Last year's defense missed 13 starts. They've tripled that this year and Spikes isn't around to hide how terrible Brown is when he gets too close to the LOS. It's not the same team. And when the team was bought in, Rex's scheme has worked this year.

I agree and can't help escape the feeling that Ryan is laughing all the way to the bank with 25 million over five years. Cut the man and he just might bleed green and white while being ecstatic that he was able to ruin the defense that embarrassed him 2x in NY last year.

I honestly can't figure out how a man that used to blitz 50% to 35% of the time and got a huge reputation for running his overload blitz scheme against everybody went to a scheme in which he blitzes less than 10% of the time.

To quote Ryan, "I'll bring everybody known to man against you"! Except that he didn't blitz hardly at all this year with the team that led the league in sacks last year.

i'm trying to put this in to the right words and have failed because i've been rather aloof with everyfrackingthing. (i am off a week and wanted to get a lot done on the farm and such. the weather has been nothing but rain for weeks - it's too wet to do a damn thing)

Rex Ryan as a defensive coordinator > Rex Ryan as a head coach.

Rex Ryan as a head coach cannot do one or a combination of the following:

1) instruct his defensive scheme

2) cannot run his defense without specialty players

c) does not have what it takes to succeed in this league anymore/outdated.

d) struggling to adapt to a new team

5) struggling to adapt to injury

f) has the wrong coordinators

Rex Ryan needs more time to truly be judged but based upon what I have seen I do not want to give him more time based upon what I saw in New York.

Nate Hackett > Rex Ryan?

I don't agree with a lot of what you've said. But I have a hard time evaluating Rex the HC without thinking of the comedy of errors that Sanchez/Geno/Vick were for his offenses and that by hiring Greg Roman and by getting his boy Tyrod, he seems to have learned from those mistakes.

I think the other points you've made about his defenses are backwards compatible to make your point and really not that applicable to the flashes of "getting it" we saw this year nor what we've seen from him in years-past, which apparent this fanbase can't agree on.

Also, i don't think that him having his guys is as critique-worthy as it's made out to be.

Last year's defense missed 13 starts. They've tripled that this year and Spikes isn't around to hide how terrible Brown is when he gets too close to the LOS. It's not the same team. And when the team was bought in, Rex's scheme has worked this year.

By scheme do you mean nefarious plan to take us from first to last in sacks? If so I agree.

I'll repeat my question: Do you see a conceivable path forward for 2016 that has a defense run by Rex which gets us to the playoffs? What needs to happen?

By scheme do you mean nefarious plan to take us from first to last in sacks? If so I agree.

I'll repeat my question: Do you see a conceivable path forward for 2016 that has a defense run by Rex which gets us to the playoffs? What needs to happen?

Yes.

Personnel upgrades that I trust Whaley to make, but none more important that S and LB's.

There will be injuries again next year....and the year after that....and the year after that.

Not like this year. I don't ever remember a year where the a team has been hit so hard (Starters missing several games, backups to the starters missing several games). Team never had a chance to gel. That is by no means the only reason the Bills have missed the playoff's this year. But I would have loved to see what would have happend if they had a normal amount of injuries.

92% of snaps and not a single stat recorded. Is he good or isn't he? Because good players at the very least find a way to get an assisted tackle. That was too tall of an order for Mario. How you can say it's the system and not him, I'll never know.

I guess you can argue it's the system, since Mario clearly doesn't like it. But it's Mario's choice to play like a worthless ass.

Didn't Mario miss a game and parts of some due to a foot injury or something? Guy has been playing hurt and in a system that minimizes his skills. Yeah, have Mario in coverage on passing downs. What did Jim Kelly say about that?n Rex is problem, not our talent on defense. I can't think of one Defensive lineman or Lb who had better stats with Rex than with Pettine or Shwartz..... Wonder why?

I agree the Defense let the team down this year. But Rex has a proven track record of building a top defense. Coaches just don't suck because they start coaching in WNY. Rex missed badly with these players. They will have to go out and get guys who can fit into his scheme and keep the players who can adapt. If after next season the Defense stil ranks near the bottom of the NFL. That will be a problem.

The Texans fans could not stand Mario. I was in Houston the year before Philips was there and they wanted to cut him at the end of the season before Philips came in.

Big Cat is checking in to the unit now.

Addition by subtraction! We got rid of Searcy and it helped! Kyle Williams and Aaron Williams have been hurt. Stephon Gilmore is doing well injured, too. See, if we keep taking away pieces like so many people want we can truly have a great defense. Bye Mario, you suck Preston! Bradham, to the bench! Lawson retire.... yeah. That's the wish of this board (maybe not The Big Cat, though).

The Bills offense moved the ball at will against the Jets. Four Touchdowns by Orton? Disirregardless of the lack of yards the TD's are a tell. Of course, Dave McBride needs to chime in on some BDSMVOA metric to say that the Jets played a great game.

The other game was clearly one where the Bills ripped apart the Jets D with no practice.

That DL is a reason that I think Pegula will be better off cutting his losses with Rex. But, he won't.

No. We really miss Brandon Spikes. The guy unemployed right now.

The defense flowed through the front four. They made everyone else's job 100 times easier. They attacked.

In Rex's defense you might as well replace Dareus with John McCargo and you wouldn't tell the difference. They have been completely neutered and as a result the LB's have been exposed.

We do miss Spikes. There has to be something more to the story that he's not in the league. Your points are spot on.

The 2014 Jets CBs notwithstanding because it would be unfair to judge Rex on what he did with a defense possessing 6 1st round picks and how many years worth of Pro Bowls?

Lets look at the the years that Rex had great defenses with even more talent, even more pro bowls and 1st round talent? Rex Ryan needs way too much to invest upon his defense.

Lest we forget Revis and Cromartie were a part of that success.

That he said he would not change the team is ridiculous. That's why I want him gone. The guy is full of ****.

I agree and can't help escape the feeling that Ryan is laughing all the way to the bank with 25 million over five years. Cut the man and he just might bleed green and white while being ecstatic that he was able to ruin the defense that embarrassed him 2x in NY last year.

I honestly can't figure out how a man that used to blitz 50% to 35% of the time and got a huge reputation for running his overload blitz scheme against everybody went to a scheme in which he blitzes less than 10% of the time.

To quote Ryan, "I'll bring everybody known to man against you"! Except that he didn't blitz hardly at all this year with the team that led the league in sacks last year.

I do think Rex wants to win but I think he is incapable.

IMO his failing is he buys into his own system and fails to see obvious flaws and incompatibilities. He has shown no ability to change so everything around him has to change. Last year it was the ownership and the GM, this year it is Mario's fault. Next year, who knows. He is too focused on himself to be able to adapt. He said he wouldn't mess with our defense and this was simply a lie. We really should have been #1 he said. I have no doubt that he wanted to be #1 or that he thought he could get us to #1 by showing everyone what they were doing wrong last year when they were #4. Because they weren't him.

My 2nd paragraph above is my opinion on the causes. It could be off a bit or even completely wrong. I would contend that the first sentence in this post has enough evidence to back it up on both Rex's desire and his results.

I agree the Defense let the team down this year. But Rex has a proven track record of building a top defense. Coaches just don't suck because they start coaching in WNY. Rex missed badly with these players. They will have to go out and get guys who can fit into his scheme and keep the players who can adapt. If after next season the Defense stil ranks near the bottom of the NFL. That will be a problem.

Wee Willie Keeler had a proven record of bunting the ball foul until he drew a walk. Then the rule changed and a foul bunt with 2 strikes became an out.

Rex's proven track record is not very recent. The NFL has either changed enough to render his scheme useless or other teams have figured him out. It happens in every sport and you have to adjust. Keeler did and he is in the hall of fame. Rex hasn't and he is relegated to fancy paint jobs on his truck being the season highlight film.

Yes.

Personnel upgrades that I trust Whaley to make, but none more important that S and LB's.

so, another year of neglecting the OL?

I'm all for drafting an LB in the first round, we're in the right spot but we have wasted so much in resources in the past in this organization and the same band of fools still calls the shots (sans Whaley). That same band brought in Ryan.

How many draft picks and how many $$ are we going to spend in getting in the right guys + eating the contract Mario (big mistake IMO)? Can we afford doing this repeatedly? It's getting us no where fast, just like it got the Jets no where.

Of course, please remember Tyrod Taylor has far, far more questions and concerns than we want to realize.

so, another year of neglecting the OL?

I'm all for drafting an LB in the first round, we're in the right spot but we have wasted so much in resources in the past in this organization and the same band of fools still calls the shots (sans Whaley). That same band brought in Ryan.

How many draft picks and how many $$ are we going to spend in getting in the right guys + eating the contract Mario (big mistake IMO)? Can we afford doing this repeatedly? It's getting us no where fast, just like it got the Jets no where.

Of course, please remember Tyrod Taylor has far, far more questions and concerns than we want to realize.

Neglecting the OL by making Glenn and Incognito priorities? Yes. Do you really think the line has been a problem this year? I agree it hasn't been perfect, specifically in pass blocking, but on the list of troubled units, they certainly don't crack the top five.

And I agree that they should draft a QB in rounds 2-4. But as I've said with Tyrod all season, he hasn't done anything to indicate that improvement is impossible. He doesn't seem to have impenetrable barriers, from what I've seen--his height not withstanding.

Neglecting the OL by making Glenn and Incognito priorities? Yes. Do you really think the line has been a problem this year? I agree it hasn't been perfect, specifically in pass blocking, but on the list of troubled units, they certainly don't crack the top five.

And I agree that they should draft a QB in rounds 2-4. But as I've said with Tyrod all season, he hasn't done anything to indicate that improvement is impossible. He doesn't seem to have impenetrable barriers, from what I've seen--his height not withstanding.

Signing those two and adding an RT is going to be a big enough task.

Adding a competent 2nd/3rd WR to go with Woods and Watkins is huge.

Now we have to find a starter at DE and LB by ditching Mario. Of course, we still need depth at DE and someone who can play DT/NT.

Yeah, or we can try to do what we did last year successfully by going to that type of scheme and avoiding a new DE and DT and NT and LB. Of course, I'm still all for drafting an LB.

But, we definitely do need to remember QB is not solved. We agree on QB. I don't want to waste resources on one but we have neglected a QB so many times in the past that I do not want to see that trend continue.

Edited by Boyst62

Signing those two and adding an RT is going to be a big enough task.

Adding a competent 2nd/3rd WR to go with Woods and Watkins is huge.

Now we have to find a starter at DE and LB by ditching Mario. Of course, we still need depth at DE and someone who can play DT/NT.

Yeah, or we can try to do what we did last year successfully by going to that type of scheme and avoiding a new DE and DT and NT and LB. Of course, I'm still all for drafting an LB.

But, we definitely do need to remember QB is not solved. We agree on QB. I don't want to waste resources on one but we have neglected a QB so many times in the past that I do not want to see that trend continue.

I'll happily re-list last year's offseason acquisitions that contributed in a big way in 2015:

1. QB1
  2. RB1
  3. RB2
  4. RB3
  5. WR2
  6. TE1
  7. RG1
  8. LG1
  9. CB2

That's seven starters that weren't on the roster last year.

I don't know that we need a NT, but needs for defenses starters, assuming no Aaron Williams include:

1. S1
  2. S2
  3. ILB
  4. OLB (pass rushing)
  5. DE
  6. NT

I think that's worst-case scenario. And it assumes players on the roster like Jairus Wyn, Corbin Bryant, AJ Tarpley, Ty Powell and Tony Steward aren't up for doing what needs to be done to plug some of those holes.

I don't put any of the offensive "needs" out there, because I don't believe they're as dire as what needs to happen on defense.

But I've seen a couple of times now that 2016 needs are being overstated to make the point that Whaley and Co couldn't possibly be up to the task. Everything we've seen thus far indicates otherwise, IMO.

I'll happily re-list last year's offseason acquisitions that contributed in a big way in 2015:

1. QB1
  2. RB1
  3. RB2
  4. RB3
  5. WR2
  6. TE1
  7. RG1
  8. LG1
  9. CB2

I don't know that we need a NT, but needs for defenses starters, assuming no Aaron Williams include:

1. S1
  2. S2
  3. ILB
  4. OLB (pass rushing)
  5. DE
  6. NT

I think that's worst-case scenario. And it assumes players on the roster like Jairus Wyn, Corbin Bryant, AJ Tarpley, Ty Powell and Tony Steward aren't up for doing what needs to be done to plug some of those holes.

I don't put any of the offensive "needs" out there, because I don't believe they're as dire as what needs to happen on defense.

But I've seen a couple of times now that 2016 needs are being overstated to make the point that Whaley and Co couldn't possibly be up to the task. Everything we've seen thus far indicates otherwise, IMO.

I feel, somehow, adding Harvin to that list is important because he was critical in the early season wins which he played. The Colts game was huge.

If we keep Mario until June 1st we end up saving a lot. $7mm in dead money. Right now we are hurting terribly for cap space, in fact, we are $5mm over the cap right now for 2016.

So, how are we going to resign Incognito, Glenn and so many others? We are actually in a rough spot, considering we have Gilmore to resign in 2016.

Free agents in 2016:

Bradham

Glenn

Incognito

Ron Brooks

Carrington

Bryant

Butler

Hogan

Charles

Powell

Rambo

Schmidt

Mills

Gillislee

Tarpley

The ones in red are players who I feel we must resign. I would like to resign Bradham and his price should be lower. But the idea of losing Powell and Bradham, Brown going no where fast and Lawson long in the tooth we could have 3 (or 4, depending on how you want to view it) new LB's for next year.

So, where are we going to be able to reinvest in this **** Rex wants to run?

Get our system back. Keep Mario. Draft a new MLB. resign the guys in red. throw money at Bradham and Powell and see if they take it. Hope Mills is cheap. Bring in an RT for camp to compete. Draft BPA in the draft and it will shirley address positions of need.

But, your belief that we are going to be alright spending next year is insane; Whaley has a lot of work to do.

Edited by Boyst62

:) :) :) :) :)

Yeah, that is why the job offers keep rolling in for him!!!

A Jauron Fan. Really? This explains quite a bit.

Carry on.

He is right, Jauron did a lot with very little but he did himself no favors building a team of talent.

Injuries are quite the weak argument for this teams failings. Look at the Chiefs- they've played without their best offensive player (Charles-out for the year), maybe their best lineman (Grubbs- out for the year), Justin Houston has been out (and may be finished for the year). Yet that team is the hottest team in the league- irregardless of injuries.

1. QB1
  2. RB1
  3. RB2
  4. RB3
  5. WR2
  6. TE1
  7. RG1
  8. LG1
  9. CB2

1. S1
  2. S2
  3. ILB
  4. OLB (pass rushing)
  5. DE
  6. NT

What the hell WR2 did we sign that "contributed in a big way"?

We've been bothered with way too many injuries, and its been that way since Rusty left.

I'm still mad about this.

And, yeah, we had far more than our fair share of injuries this year.

Even so, I don't think Rex did a good job with the defense. Injuries weren't our only downfall. Rex's ineffectiveness in both teaching and selling his D to the players hurt the team. Schematically, it may have been the wrong decision in the first place.

Rex is the leader of the team. I expect him to make good strategic and tactical decisions. I expect him to unite coaches and players. I expect him to teach and motivate the players to perform at a high level.

He didn't.

I do think Rex wants to win but I think he is incapable.

IMO his failing is he buys into his own system and fails to see obvious flaws and incompatibilities. He has shown no ability to change so everything around him has to change. Last year it was the ownership and the GM, this year it is Mario's fault. Next year, who knows. He is too focused on himself to be able to adapt. He said he wouldn't mess with our defense and this was simply a lie. We really should have been #1 he said. I have no doubt that he wanted to be #1 or that he thought he could get us to #1 by showing everyone what they were doing wrong last year when they were #4. Because they weren't him.

My 2nd paragraph above is my opinion on the causes. It could be off a bit or even completely wrong. I would contend that the first sentence in this post has enough evidence to back it up on both Rex's desire and his results.

Wee Willie Keeler had a proven record of bunting the ball foul until he drew a walk. Then the rule changed and a foul bunt with 2 strikes became an out.

Rex's proven track record is not very recent. The NFL has either changed enough to render his scheme useless or other teams have figured him out. It happens in every sport and you have to adjust. Keeler did and he is in the hall of fame. Rex hasn't and he is relegated to fancy paint jobs on his truck being the season highlight film.iun

I agree with that in that even when Ryan has Mario play wide like in Schwartz's wide nine they failed in another area of the defense. This entire defense this year has been a cluster-fluck of various problems mostly because of the lack of discipline.

It's not just the injuries or a few bad attitudes it's the entire defense in so many areas in different games.

"Poor Rex, damn if he does call a blitz, damned if he doesn't. Next 3rd down, sends the house, nobody covers the out."

"I don't mind the 3 man rush on 3rd and 16, what I mind is guys just not being aware of what is going on around them "

"Preston Brown says even the slowest offenses have been hurrying to line this season because they know Bills defense has issues w/ play calls"... "They've been doing that since week 2!!!! Horrifying coaching."..."lol... that's all on coaching. Good job Rex"

"You always see this... guys running around, not set, when the ball is snapped"

This year's defense looks so much like last years Jets team in looking confused and out of sync with Rex Ryan on the sideline.

No. We really miss Brandon Spikes. The guy unemployed right now.

The defense flowed through the front four. They made everyone else's job 100 times easier. They attacked.

In Rex's defense you might as well replace Dareus with John McCargo and you wouldn't tell the difference. They have been completely neutered and as a result the LB's have been exposed.

agreed. and then the safeties.

Recall when Duke Williams was getting the snaps, and Rambo was trying to kill Darby.

that was fun..

Dunbar wont be here next year

Yes.

Does it not bother you that we locked up a massive amount of cap dollars in a DL that is wasted with a Rex Ryan scheme?

Does it not bother you that Rex effectively stated that the defense was already built?

Does it not bother you that "the plan"....to have a stellar D(already built) and add some star value to the O to make it competent in order to potentially have a 2-3 year window to make a run.....is now effectively blown up as we need to re-up the defensive talent because of Rex's scheme?

I have never been so disheartened as a Bill's fan as I am now. We finally were going in the right direction....and then the hubris and disingenuousness of Rex derails the whole thing.

Does it not bother you that we locked up a massive amount of cap dollars in a DL that is wasted with a Rex Ryan scheme?

Does it not bother you that Rex effectively stated that the defense was already built?

Does it not bother you that "the plan"....to have a stellar D(already built) and add some star value to the O to make it competent in order to potentially have a 2-3 year window to make a run.....is now effectively blown up as we need to re-up the defensive talent because of Rex's scheme?

I have never been so disheartened as a Bill's fan as I am now. We finally were going in the right direction....and then the hubris and disingenuousness of Rex derails the whole thing.

Nice summary but I doubt it will convince him. He thinks the absence a player not a single one of 32 teams was interested in, including ours, sent us on the road to ruin. If we just get rid of some of our best players on D and sign Bill Nye science guy because he is smart enough to play MLB for us, then Rex will be vindicated.

It actually is really sad. This defense took 6 years to build and it gets blown up in one year.