The offense needs to change too

1billsfan

When we went into this season if we did not have shady it would have been

Fred Jackson

Boobie Dixon

Karlos WIlliams

Given what we know now.......I shudder that we did NOT have Shady who is on his way to another pro bowl

Incorrect.

What we know now is that productive RB's are not really that hard to find..... and that Roman's offense is very RB and run blocker friendly.

Which we should have already known.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fun Fact: The Bills Offense produced basically the same points per game with EJ for 2 games that it did with Tyrod, and only lost both of EJ's games because of increased turnovers.

Tyrod: 22.23 PPG

EJ: 22.5 PPG

I disagree that this fact is at all fun.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

A high percentage of the Bills' points (and quite a few of their lofty stats) came in garbage time. Unfortunately, folks will look at the numbers at the end of the year and conclude that the offense was just fine. They were a 3-and-out (or 4-and-out) machine during long stretches of games this year, and failed at the end of games when the opportunity to tie or take the lead was there.

I challenge you to prove that. Also, please define what you consider a high percentage? 80%? 50%? 10%?

I challenge you to prove that. Also, please define what you consider a high percentage? 80%? 50%? 10%?

I know at one point they lead the league in three and outs.

For all their prowess running the ball neither LeSean or Karlos is particularly adept at short yardage.

LeSean because he has no power and Karlos because he's slow to build momentum.

A LOT of times they ended up throwing head scratching, low % deep passes on short and makeable 3rd and 4th downs.

Sometimes Tyrod has dropped those passes perfectly in the bucket only to have them not be caught.....like today to Hogan or to McCoy in the end zone in New England.....other times they have been virtual throw aways.

I know they hit a couple of those......the Hogan TD vs Tennessee stands out.......but you get in 3rd and 3 you shouldn't have to shy from the run when you have the top rush offense in the NFL.

I like Gillislee's feet......combined with his physical play and second effort he should make a better short yardage back.

A big WR and a second TE option would help. Scott Chandler actually might have been a help to Taylor this year but they got carried away with the idea of being the speed and quickness team of the NFL when they needed more size at WR positions to help Taylor.

Edited by #BADOL

For all their prowess running the ball neither LeSean or Karlos is particularly adept at short yardage.

A LOT of times they ended up throwing head scratching, low % deep passes on short and makeable 3rd and 4th downs.

Sometimes Tyrod has dropped those passes perfectly in the bucket only to have them not be caught.....like today to Hogan or to McCoy in the end zone in New England.....other times they have been virtual throw aways.

I know they hit a couple of those......the Hogan TD vs Tennessee stands out.......but you get in 3rd and 3 you shouldn't have to shy from the run when you have the top rush offense in the NFL.

I like Gillislee's feet......combined with his physical play and second effort he should make a better short yardage back.

A big WR and a second TE option would help. Scott Chandler actually might have been a help to Taylor this year but they got carried away with the idea of being the speed and quickness team of the NFL when they needed more size at WR positions to help Taylor.

See, there's little in this post to disagree with. Felton's signing was a waste, because I thought they brought him in exactly for the short yardage conversions.

Edited by GG

Did you see that shot of Jimbo cursing at the 4th down fade to Hogan? That play drives me nuts - I can't believe how many times they've run it on 3rd (or 4th) and 3 this year. You know who else does that? College offenses. And not the good ones.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

See, there's little in this post to disagree with. Felton's signing was a waste, because I thought they brought him in exactly for the short yardage conversions.

I know people don't want to see it now.........but the reality of Roman and Rex are that they are two successful coordinators who just so happen to have a history of occasionally outsmarting themselves.

I think this explains last offseason.

I find it hard to believe........based on early talk from the organization........that their original goal was to become the shiftiest and niftiest offense in the league.

Then the McCoy offer came in.

And what goes better with a nifty, big play scatback than a joystick controlled playmaker like Harvin?

With a bigger pocket passer like Cassel maybe putting RAC and YAC guys all around him sounded like a good idea, but when is a big WR or TE EVER a bad thing to have around?

I just didn't get it. Matt Cassel was and is lousy.

So I really expected this kind of mediocre season from the team going into camp.............then I saw Tyrod Taylor and my optimism grew.

When you look at some of the dud QB's about to represent the AFC in the playoffs this year it's almost criminal that they didn't make it.

When you look at some of the dud QB's about to represent the AFC in the playoffs this year it's almost criminal that they didn't make it.

Harvin was a bad signing because he couldn't stay healthy. We can quibble all we want about the RBs, but the offense truly went south when Percy got hurt. If he stayed as durable as Marshall, Bills would have sealed the playoffs this weekend.

Harvin was a bad signing because he couldn't stay healthy. We can quibble all we want about the RBs, but the offense truly went south when Percy got hurt. If he stayed as durable as Marshall, Bills would have sealed the playoffs this weekend.

Probably true......he was the best player on the field in Miami that day.

But that's the thing with him.......he's a true enigma and only useful when all conditions are right.

Knowing that, like I said.......if his availability had ANYTHING to do with not getting Brandon Marshall that is just plain awful.

Marshall has been incredible this year........perfect WR for Fitz with his immense catch radius. Would have been GREAT for Tyrod.

Did you see that shot of Jimbo cursing at the 4th down fade to Hogan? That play drives me nuts - I can't believe how many times they've run it on 3rd (or 4th) and 3 this year. You know who else does that? College offenses. And not the good ones.

Yes it's been crazy.

I believe the primary receiver in those cases was the deep option.

Yes, the receiver was often open and Taylor often put the ball where it was supposed to be but it's still just too low % to expect to have success.

It's also demoralizing when your OC dials something like that up, IMO.

For all the things I love about Roman.......he will outsmart himself if given too much freedom.

Even though he is very run-centric......a run game designing genius in the opinion of many around the NFL..........he strikes me as having a little Kevin Gilbride in him.

That is a dirty name to invoke around here but the reality is that Gilbride controlled some seriously explosive offenses......but he really needed a rock at HC to edit some of his work and turn it into the SB championships in NY.

I could be wrong because I haven't done any hard research, but I feel like I remember Kaep's passing attempts going up every year he was under Roman. I'm of the opinion that Roman's offense starts out as run first to protect the QB and slowly adds more responsibilities to the QB as the become more comfortable in the scheme.

I expect taylor to have had a get your feet wet season. I expect him to be asked to do more next year. And the year after that assuming he is still here

A high percentage of the Bills' points (and quite a few of their lofty stats) came in garbage time. Unfortunately, folks will look at the numbers at the end of the year and conclude that the offense was just fine. They were a 3-and-out (or 4-and-out) machine during long stretches of games this year, and failed at the end of games when the opportunity to tie or take the lead was there.

I remember all that you have just said

Knowing that, like I said.......if his availability had ANYTHING to do with not getting Brandon Marshall that is just plain awful.

Marshall has been incredible this year........perfect WR for Fitz with his immense catch radius. Would have been GREAT for Tyrod.

Harvin was the consolation prize, since Jets cut him after they traded for Marshall

NE passes the ball more then running, they throw a ton of quick short passes that allow the WR to get YAC. This would & can work here in Buffalo, running the ball is old school football and just makes you an average team.

This team is a YAC yard monster. ESPECIALLY when they had Harvin. He was so clutch with Watkins.

Roman has a plan. I'm aligned with Polian, this offense can improve through the draft and maybe one role player in free agency with a veteran QB for a back up, can EJ, another lineman, a sound WR to compliment Sammy and a sound TE to compliment Clay.

This along with another year to work on TT could end up with a competitive team in the AFCE.

I think we have something in Gragg. I see a lesser Clay.

Harvin was the consolation prize, since Jets cut him after they traded for Marshall

Yes but the entire NFL knew he was going to be cut so it wasn't the least bit of a surprise.

Marshall or not they weren't going to pay Percy his outrageous $15M roster bonus or whatever that crazy number was. :lol:

Yes but the entire NFL knew he was going to be cut so it wasn't the least bit of a surprise.

Marshall or not they weren't going to pay Percy his outrageous $15M roster bonus or whatever that crazy number was. :lol:

I think Marshall exceeded all expectations.

If we held a poll in March to see which veteran WR would have the best 2015

Dwayne Bowe

Percy Harvin

Andre Johnson

Brandon Marshall

Who do you think would get the most votes?

Dwayne Bowe

Percy Harvin

Andre Johnson

Brandon Marshall

I think the fact that Marshall was the only one anyone traded anything for answers that question.

If people thought Andre Johnson would be better it was only because of who the QB was.

Not that anyone would have projected the All-Pro type season Marshall has had.........that would be crazy to project for ANY of those guys.

Dwayne Bowe

Percy Harvin

Andre Johnson

Brandon Marshall

Which one had the best 2014?