Rob Ryan

truth on hold

Some are speculating Rex is gone. Just a year into this and something like $20 million left on his contract, I'm not seeing it. IMO Pegs is more likely to give Rex even more of what he wants in a critical "make or break" second season...to give him every chance to succeed before pulling the plugs. That said someone is likely to be the fall guy for this season. The biggest fall was on the defensive side, which isolates Dennis Thurman as the target. Rex has already said he relishes the thought of coaching with his brother. Putting it all together, I see Pegs granting Rex his wish and approving the hire. It may not be an immediate release of Thurman, could also be a setup to force him out by naming Rob something like "assistant HC" or "defensive consultant".

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some pare speculating Rex is gone. Just a year into this and something like $20 million left on his contract, I'm not seeing it. If anything Pegs is more likely to give Rex even more of what he wants, in a critical "make or break" second season...to give him every chance to succeed before pulling the plugs. That said someone is likely to be the fall guy for this season. The biggest fall was on the defensive side, which isolates Dennis Thurman as the target. Rex has already said he relishes the thought of coaching with his brother. Putting it all together, I see Pegs granting Rex his wish and approving the hire. It may not be an immediate release of Thurman, could also be a setup to force him out by naming Rob something like "assistant HC" or "defensive consultant".

I don't know enough about Rob Ryan to know how I feel about this. Should we be happy at this notion, or "afraid, very afraid"?

I don't know enough about Rob Ryan to know how I feel about this. Should we be happy at this notion, or "afraid, very afraid"?

Rob is a one hit wonder. Good for the first year or two. After that, his defenses take a nosedive, and out the door he goes. He might make a good assistant, but that's as far as it goes.

Why would Thurman be the fall guy? He is just a figurehead DC, and everybody knows it. Firing him would be an insult to the collective intelligence of the fan base.

I think Crossman gets shown the door, and I see a gutting of the roster coming. Perhaps, someone gets brought in as a "czar" consultant type role.

Edit: Sorry, to respond directly to the OP...I could see Rob brought in as a position coach, but surely not as DC.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

Why would Thurman be the fall guy? He is just a figurehead DC, and everybody knows it. Firing him would be an insult to the collective intelligence of the fan base.

I think Crossman gets shown the door, and I see a gutting of the roster coming. Perhaps, someone gets brought in as a "czar" consultant type role.

Edit: Sorry, to respond directly to the OP...I could see Rob brought in as a position coach, but surely not as DC.

Just playing devil's advocate, what does Thurman bring that Rob Ryan doesn't?

Do you follow the NFL? He's one of the worst DC in the league.....which is why he is no longer in the league. Be very afraid

Do you follow the NFL? He's one of the worst DC in the league.....which is why he is no longer in the league. Be very afraid

Look what happened 1 year under Thurman.

Buffalo finished the season as a top five defense, ranking fourth overall, and finished in the top five in a host of different defensive categories. Chief among them, sacks (1st - 54), third down percentage (1st - 33.18), yards per play (3rd, 4.86), passing defense (3rd - 205.8), takeaways (3rd - 30) points per game (4th - 18.1) and first downs per game (5th - 18.9).

Thru 14 games...

21st in total yards

30th in sacks

Just playing devil's advocate, what does Thurman bring that Rob Ryan doesn't?

I don't know, and I doubt anyone does because Rex Ryan clearly calls the shots on defense. Who knows what the defense would look like if Dennis had complete control?

Edit: Similarly, how could one properly evaluate Curtis Modkins' performance as OC under Gailey?

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

Look what happened 1 year under Thurman.

Buffalo finished the season as a top five defense, ranking fourth overall, and finished in the top five in a host of different defensive categories. Chief among them, sacks (1st - 54), third down percentage (1st - 33.18), yards per play (3rd, 4.86), passing defense (3rd - 205.8), takeaways (3rd - 30) points per game (4th - 18.1) and first downs per game (5th - 18.9).

Thru 14 games...

21st in total yards

30th in sacks

What's the point? The current DC blows...you want to add another bad one?

no, just no. If Rob were to be at OBD next year, I would never have more doubt about the success of this team...to be honest, the issues coming out of the organization sound like fractured locker room and front office. The former is why we lost this year - and that is not Whaley's fault, that is entirely on the team and coaching staff. If Whaley is gone and we don't move Rex to DC or any other position but HC I doubt the direction this team would be headed. Not to put a clearly negative thread worthy post on here, but these are the kind of front office moves that destroy teams and any hope they have at re-building

Financially, it doesn't make sense.

However, if we are on the Titanic and the inevitable is going to happen. I'd rather fix the problem now, then go down with the ship.

Is there light at the end of the tunnel or a cold, embarrassing death?

I'm having trouble parsing this. Does it not make sense financially to can Rex? I can see that....

Or are you saying it's Rob as DC that doesn't make sense?

Is it Rex that is the Titanic?

What is the light at the end of the tunnel and what is the cold, embarrassing death?

I'm having trouble parsing this. Does it not make sense financially to can Rex? I can see that....

Or are you saying it's Rob as DC that doesn't make sense?

Is it Rex that is the Titanic?

What is the light at the end of the tunnel and what is the cold, embarrassing death?

I read the title as Rex Ryan. Please disregard.

Thanks

Imo