Rob Ryan

truth on hold

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we talking about the same genius that once called out Trent Edwards when he was the Raidas DC, as though he needed to get in Trentative's head to beat him? The one who looks like a crazed Bad Santa? The one that the only thing that is a relative qualification for a DC is his last name? That Rob Ryan?

I'd prefer Rod Ryan... he's at least entertaining and is a Buffalo guy.

Rob is a one hit wonder. Good for the first year or two. After that, his defenses take a nosedive, and out the door he goes. He might make a good assistant, but that's as far as it goes.

I believe he's a one hit wonder across whole career. One decent year, the rest all God awful. I don't know how he keeps getting jobs.

Do you follow the NFL? He's one of the worst DC in the league.....which is why he is no longer in the league. Be very afraid

Hiring another Ryan would be the ultimate insult to all Bills fans. The Ryan the Bills already have is a complete failure. Why would the Bills want another one? Insanity!

I would have no problem hiring Rob Ryan as a position coach. Some of the best position coaches in the NFL are failed OCs, DCs, and HCs. The Bills very own DBs coach Donnie Henderson, who everyone around here feared would leave last year when Ryan was hired and who is roundly praised as one of the best in the NFL was a terrible Tampa 2 DC with the Jets and the Lions.

He hasn't been a great DC, but he's had some pretty good ones over his career. He'd be a voice in the room among many others, not the sole defensive gameplanner.

and missed the playoffs....offense went from 26th to 13th with a first year qb.....this will lead to wins

Again, I think the main focus will be on the defense. And if Rex is a given to return, who takes the fall? Gotta be Whaley (personnel) or Thurman (DC) IMO. And if the latter who replaces him? Edited by JTSP

I would have no problem hiring Rob Ryan as a position coach. Some of the best position coaches in the NFL are failed OCs, DCs, and HCs. The Bills very own DBs coach Donnie Henderson, who everyone around here feared would leave last year when Ryan was hired and who is roundly praised as one of the best in the NFL was a terrible Tampa 2 DC with the Jets and the Lions.

He hasn't been a great DC, but he's had some pretty good ones over his career. He'd be a voice in the room among many others, not the sole defensive gameplanner.

I guess he could be a wingman. Someone to go to Bill Bar,big tree, or Danny's. To pick-up the coaches lunch. Would save time for a administrative asst.

Again, I think the main focus will be on the defense. And if Rex is a given to return, who takes the fall? Gotta be Whaley (personnel) or Thomas (DC) IMO. And if the latter who replaces him?

I don't think Thurmann will be fired. Anything involving the defense starts with Ryan. He has already come out and said that he tried to incorporate too much of what we did last year and it did not mix well with what they were installing. Players will be switched out. To run a complex defensive scheme, you need smart defenders and the Bills do not have alot of defenders with natural instincts IMO. Also, the perceived connection to the defense we ran under Pettine was overblown. We were much more of a 43 UNDER base that season than anything resembling a 34 which Ryan likes to run.

The defensive side of the ball has always been more suited running a 43. Dareus, Hughes, A. Williams, and Gilmore are scheme diverse players. Dareus can play 34 DE, NT, 43 DT. Hughes can play 43DE or 34 OLB. A. Williams can play FS, SS, and can cover both TEs and WRs if needed and can play in the tackle box close to the line or in center field. Gilmore can play man, press, or zone although he is a better man defender than zone guy IMO. But guys like Mario, Kyle, and Bradham do not fit into a 34 scheme very well.

You can't blame Ryan, however. He knows his defensive system. He made a name for himself as a superstar DC playing his defensive system. He was hired as a HC because of his defensive system. You can't hire him as a HC and hand him players that don't fit. He has always had a pure NT, expect for this season. He has always had 2 identical safeties who are interchangeable(this is a big part of what he does in coverage) except for this season. He has always had a combo LB who can rush and cover, except for this season. If the Bills were supposed to make a push for the playoffs this year on the strength of their defense and improving the offense than Ryan was not the right hire. It didn't make sense as a one year move that Ryan would come in and improve the defense by playing a watered down version of his schemes. I think alot of people including those with the Bills overvalued some of the talent on D and their ability to play in multiple schemes. Nigel Bradham, for example, was drafted to 43 LB under Wanny, then was lost playing more inside under Pettine, and blossomed playing OLB for Schwartz. He is clearly a gifted player playing out of scheme. Anyway, I could go on.

The blame needs to fall on who signed off that this idea would work because hiring Ryan and making almost no defensive personnel changes to help the team adjust was a big mistake. The guy to hire with this defensive personnel was Dan Quinn from SEA, but it remains to be seen if he would even have wanted the job considering the QB situation at the time which remember was regarded as one of the worst 1 or 2 situations in the NFL.

At this point, the Bills need to go all in on Ryan's defensive scheme. There is no turning back. What's done is done. There really is no other option.

I don't think Thurmann will be fired. Anything involving the defense starts with Ryan. He has already come out and said that he tried to incorporate too much of what we did last year and it did not mix well with what they were installing. Players will be switched out. To run a complex defensive scheme, you need smart defenders and the Bills do not have alot of defenders with natural instincts IMO. Also, the perceived connection to the defense we ran under Pettine was overblown. We were much more of a 43 UNDER base that season than anything resembling a 34 which Ryan likes to run.

The defensive side of the ball has always been more suited running a 43. Dareus, Hughes, A. Williams, and Gilmore are scheme diverse players. Dareus can play 34 DE, NT, 43 DT. Hughes can play 43DE or 34 OLB. A. Williams can play FS, SS, and can cover both TEs and WRs if needed and can play in the tackle box close to the line or in center field. Gilmore can play man, press, or zone although he is a better man defender than zone guy IMO. But guys like Mario, Kyle, and Bradham do not fit into a 34 scheme very well.

You can't blame Ryan, however. He knows his defensive system. He made a name for himself as a superstar DC playing his defensive system. He was hired as a HC because of his defensive system. You can't hire him as a HC and hand him players that don't fit. He has always had a pure NT, expect for this season. He has always had 2 identical safeties who are interchangeable(this is a big part of what he does in coverage) except for this season. He has always had a combo LB who can rush and cover, except for this season. If the Bills were supposed to make a push for the playoffs this year on the strength of their defense and improving the offense than Ryan was not the right hire. It didn't make sense as a one year move that Ryan would come in and improve the defense by playing a watered down version of his schemes. I think alot of people including those with the Bills overvalued some of the talent on D and their ability to play in multiple schemes. Nigel Bradham, for example, was drafted to 43 LB under Wanny, then was lost playing more inside under Pettine, and blossomed playing OLB for Schwartz. He is clearly a gifted player playing out of scheme. Anyway, I could go on.

The blame needs to fall on who signed off that this idea would work because hiring Ryan and making almost no defensive personnel changes to help the team adjust was a big mistake. The guy to hire with this defensive personnel was Dan Quinn from SEA, but it remains to be seen if he would even have wanted the job considering the QB situation at the time which remember was regarded as one of the worst 1 or 2 situations in the NFL.

At this point, the Bills need to go all in on Ryan's defensive scheme. There is no turning back. What's done is done. There really is no other option.

I agree with everything you say, except that Thurman wont get fired (or at least edged out). I've been saying all along it won't be until his second season to see the benefits of Rex's defense because of the need to get the personell to fit the scheme. Fundamentally this raises a bigger problem with Rex: he should be a DC, not an HC. Hes not a good general manager (as evidenced by lack of player discipline), and he (at best) brings nothing to the offense. Just like Chan gailey is a good OC, but was ill-equipped to be an HC. Nonetheless Rex will be the HC next year, which I think makes someone vulnerable to take the fall for this season. And if its Thurman opens the door for brother rob...these Ryan's are nothing else if not bold and fiercely loyal to each other. Edited by JTSP