What's wrong with WNY media?

vegas55

It's a fair question. If you told anyone (including the media) before the season that a Bills QB would post the numbers that Tyrod did they would have the Bills as an 11 win team and that QB as a solid, franchise QB. Instead, as his performance levels have varied from week to week (as they do with all QBs) the media has pounced. Sully - he doesn't pass the eyeball test - WGR genius Jeremy- we have to draft a QB in round one of next years draft etc etc. And the criticism really cranks up after Taylor has a relatively poor game. The second New England game especially, as the media whiners started their shrill calls for a "franchise QB", failing to recognize that Taylor faced a great defense, on the road, and while less than perfect, produced a better QB rating than Brady did that day.

So you have to judge Taylor (and any other player) on their entire body of work, and not the week to week fluctuations that all players, even hall of famers, experience. And fortunately for Taylor, people outside the WNY media have done just that. He was named as a Pro Bowl alternate, despite playing his first year in this offense, on a losing team, in a small market. When was the last time that HAPPENED to a Bills QB? But the WNY media doesn't see it, as they measure everything against a perfection that does not exist. Maybe they can inform us where exactly they think the Bills could obtain a QB better or more promising than Taylor. Where do they think we find a QB who outsiders think so highly of that they make him a Pro Bowl alternate, in his very first year as a starting QB. They have no answers, just criticism.

It's not just the media. I think we need to absolutely draft a QB early next year to have developing behind Tyrod. Tyrod's stats are nice but he still has some big flaws that I can't just assume will be corrected over time. I'm fine with him as our starter going into next year but right now we have nothing behind him in case he doesn't work out.

I find it interesting that we fans seem to think that we know more than the people who are paid to make decisions and deal with the stuff daily.

The press is knowledgeable, and want to sell "papers" (print or electronic), so they are out there on the fringe many times.

Taylor is having a very good year for a 1st year starter. He's had his ups and downs, but what human doesn't? (insert Belicheck joke here)

Congratulations on being named an alternate. I'm sure that he'll comport himself well, representing the Bills with style and class.

I am concerned that his style of play can lead to injuries, so the back up position is vital.

The press is knowledgeable, and want to sell "papers" (print or electronic), so they are out there on the fringe many times.

This for sure. The media, whether local or national, sports or not, see themselves as big as the story so as to sell themselves and manufacture stories. Look locally at guys like Shoop, Bucky, Sully. To me they have no credibility because their sole role is to criticize anything franchises do

It's a fair question. If you told anyone (including the media) before the season that a Bills QB would post the numbers that Tyrod did they would have the Bills as an 11 win team and that QB as a solid, franchise QB. Instead, as his performance levels have varied from week to week (as they do with all QBs) the media has pounced. Sully - he doesn't pass the eyeball test - WGR genius Jeremy- we have to draft a QB in round one of next years draft etc etc. And the criticism really cranks up after Taylor has a relatively poor game. The second New England game especially, as the media whiners started their shrill calls for a "franchise QB", failing to recognize that Taylor faced a great defense, on the road, and while less than perfect, produced a better QB rating than Brady did that day.

So you have to judge Taylor (and any other player) on their entire body of work, and not the week to week fluctuations that all players, even hall of famers, experience. And fortunately for Taylor, people outside the WNY media have done just that. He was named as a Pro Bowl alternate, despite playing his first year in this offense, on a losing team, in a small market. When was the last time that HAPPENED to a Bills QB? But the WNY media doesn't see it, as they measure everything against a perfection that does not exist. Maybe they can inform us where exactly they think the Bills could obtain a QB better or more promising than Taylor. Where do they think we find a QB who outsiders think so highly of that they make him a Pro Bowl alternate, in his very first year as a starting QB. They have no answers, just criticism.

Nice post! You are exactly right when you say the media would have us preseason as an 11 win team with this type of QB performance. However, we are basically a .500 team and that 3 game difference falls in Rex and the defense. When people B word that TT didn't bring us from behind like Brady or Rodgers they are living in a fantasy world.

Taylor is absolutely the QB of "now".

However, they need to look high and low for their franchise QB. Taylor isnt it. He is physically unable to throw the ball in the middle of the field, he is limited. The running thing is awesome, but it isnt a sustainable model for a franchise QB.

Nice post! You are exactly right when you say the media would have us preseason as an 11 win team with this type of QB performance. However, we are basically a .500 team and that 3 game difference falls in Rex and the defense. When people B word that TT didn't bring us from behind like Brady or Rodgers they are living in a fantasy world.

It's a fantasy world to want to have a QB capable of putting the team on his back in an era when offense means more and defense means less than ever before? Ok.

I'm a Tyrod fan, I like a lot of what he brings to the table, but I would much rather have a legitimate franchise QB over him.

Taylor is absolutely the QB of "now".

However, they need to look high and low for their franchise QB. Taylor isnt it. He is physically unable to throw the ball in the middle of the field, he is limited. The running thing is awesome, but it isnt a sustainable model for a franchise QB.

Oh really! Physically incapable. :wallbash:

Well he is too short. He has trouble seeing on a normal quick dropback that pretty much every NFL QB lives by and it seems a lot of attempts get batted down by linemen. The long sideline passes are all well and good, but I fear that in year two, with enough data/film out, Taylor is going to be very ineffective. We better hope Watkins stays healthy too.

Well he is too short. He has trouble seeing on a normal quick dropback that pretty much every NFL QB lives by and it seems a lot of attempts get batted down by linemen. The long sideline passes are all well and good, but I fear that in year two, with enough data/film out, Taylor is going to be very ineffective. We better hope Watkins stays healthy too.

Perhaps he'll improve! There have been plenty of QBs who are in the 6-0/6-1 range and been fine players. I'd be more worried about injuries.

The media doesn't approach a professional sports team the way its fans do. That may be the greatest misconception on TBD in the time I've been here.

When this bumbling franchise starts making the playoffs perhaps the "negative" articles construed by some fans will be less frequent.

And I'm sure the media knows a lot more than they're putting out there, primarily not to totally sever their ability to cover the team. We know how the Bills have controlled the flow of information over the years.

Oh really! Physically incapable. :wallbash:

Listen to Bills lead journalist Chris Brown on the WGR extra point show from Monday 12/14 at approximately the 22 minute mark. He says what the poster wrote.

http://media.wgr550.com/a/111757062/12-14-extra-point-show-with-sal-capaccio-hr-2.htm?q=Chris+Brown

Tyrod does indeed need throwing lanes to see the field.

The media doesn't approach a professional sports team the way its fans do. That may be the greatest misconception on TBD in the time I've been here.

When this bumbling franchise starts making the playoffs perhaps the "negative" articles construed by some fans will be less frequent.

And I'm sure the media knows a lot more than they're putting out there, primarily not to totally sever their ability to cover the team. We know how the Bills have controlled the flow of information over the years.

Listen to Bills lead journalist Chris Brown on the WGR extra point show from Monday 12/14 at approximately the 22 minute mark. He says what the poster wrote.

http://media.wgr550.com/a/111757062/12-14-extra-point-show-with-sal-capaccio-hr-2.htm?q=Chris+Brown

Tyrod does indeed need throwing lanes to see the field.

Wow C. brown is now an nfl qb expert Who knew? Lol

It's not just the media. I think we need to absolutely draft a QB early next year to have developing behind Tyrod. Tyrod's stats are nice but he still has some big flaws that I can't just assume will be corrected over time. I'm fine with him as our starter going into next year but right now we have nothing behind him in case he doesn't work out.

Yes, This.

We have to realize that historically, QB drafted in the top of the 1st round have about a 50-50 chance of working out, mid-1st to 2nd round something like 30%, lower than that it's rare, it happens but it's rare.

The Bills historically have been far too sparing of using top draft picks on QB, in contrast to some more successful franchises who have used top picks (Rodgers) even when they had a QB on the roster (Favre).

I love Taylor. I do. His play excites me. It also frustrates me, when he misses the open guy crossing the middle of the field to take a low percentage shot to the sidelines time after time or hangs on to the ball too long and gets nailed for a sack and a fumble. Way too many fumbles for a running QB who aspires to be The Man.

When was the last time a Bills QB was even in the Pro Bowl conversation at this time of the season - ESPECIALLY a first year starter? He's our QB - Period! What we need now is a veteran back up who can help him progress in year 2 as a starter and keep the ship afloat if he goes down, and a 3rd one to develop as a future challenger for the job.

When was the last time a Bills QB was even in the Pro Bowl conversation at this time of the season - ESPECIALLY a first year starter? He's our QB - Period! What we need now is a veteran back up who can help him progress in year 2 as a starter and keep the ship afloat if he goes down, and a 3rd one to develop as a future challenger for the job.

:beer:

YES!!!! Go,TT!