Article: Where did Rex go wrong in his first season in Bflo?

YoloinOhio

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where did he go wrong:

He promised the playoffs,

promised a bully

promised to be first in defense

bought a bills truck

ate dog biscuits,

put on a clemson helmet at a press conference

didnt challenge properly in a do or die game

and generally sucks big hairy toes!

Let's not bring his foot thing into this. ;-)

Yes, he did all of those things. He brought hope, which has been dashed.

I'm sure that no one feels the sting more than Rex.

Let's see how we finish up.

Let's see how we handle the off season.

Let's give the Pegulas time to think about what to do.

He really doesn't make any case for keeping Rex as HC for next year other than that firing him would send "the wrong message" to the next potential HC.

He says the game has passed Rex by and doesn't seem to hold out hope that Rex will change. He makes it clear he thinks Mario will be gone--and Mario should be gone next year. No compelling reason to keep the guy at his age and mindset.

He does make the point that there is hope for the offense though, I agree with this. Roman isn;t the genius he was advertised as though.

The article raised two very salient points which make the rest of its points moot and its conclusion illiogical.

According to the article, Rex failed to understand that his blitz-crazy scheme was not needed in Buffalo, as unlike at the Jets, we have the personel to apply preasure 1-on-1.

Also according to the article, Rex's blitz-crazy scheme is outdated and nigh obsolete in today's NFL.

Considering the concept that Rex couldn't see or get past his penchant for using his blitz-crazy scheme when it wasn't needed, is there any reason to believe that he will be able to see that it has become generally ineffective in today's NFL?

And furthering to that, when one considers that his reputation for successful and inovative defense is pretty much based upon a scheme that is now mostly obsolete, is there any reason to believe that without that defensive scheme (even if he can get past his predilection for using it) that Rex could be anything more than an average at best HC(or DC)?

"when comparing 2014 Schwartz to 2015 Rex the injury disparity is so drastic it can't and shouldn't be ignored"

oh there are plenty of "smart" football people who completely ignore it

and a lot of "smart" football people who use it as a crutch.

He really doesn't make any case for keeping Rex as HC for next year other than that firing him would send "the wrong message" to the next potential HC.

He says the game has passed Rex by and doesn't seem to hold out hope that Rex will change. He makes it clear he thinks Mario will be gone--and Mario should be gone next year. No compelling reason to keep the guy at his age and mindset.

He does make the point that there is hope for the offense though, I agree with this. Roman isn;t the genius he was advertised as though.

you put that in parentheses as though it wouldn't seriously discourage future candidates.

you put that in parentheses as though it wouldn't seriously discourage future candidates.

I really don't think it would. The Browns and their owner are an international joke. The Bills have real talent. Future coaching prosects all know Rex is sort of a relic/clown--no doubt they all would see his firing as a logical move by the Pegulas--especially after every future HC prospect saw how pathetically Rex limped out of NYJ with his tail between his legs.

I think there are candidates that aren't on the level of a Mike Pettine who would look forward to being the HC of the Bills. It's nothing like the Browns.

I really don't think it would. The Browns and their owner are an international joke. The Bills have real talent. Future coaching prosects all know Rex is sort of a relic/clown--no doubt they all would see his firing as a logical move by the Pegulas--especially after every future HC prospect saw how pathetically Rex limped out of NYJ with his tail between his legs.

I think there are candidates that aren't on the level of a Mike Pettine who would look forward to being the HC of the Bills. It's nothing like the Browns.

8 coaches in 16 years. No, it's nothing like the Browns. It's worse.

Why would anyone with a future sabotage their career to come here when the fans would run them out of town after one season?

I can't believe that, for once, I am actually sticking up for management. I know the coach did a bad job this year. Two years of this **** is a totally different story. But I happen to think we're in better shape now than a year ago and I don't want to blow it up just yet. Whaley actually had a good draft this year, which I give the coach some credit for.

Edited by jester43

The article raised two very salient points which make the rest of its points moot and its conclusion illiogical.

According to the article, Rex failed to understand that his blitz-crazy scheme was not needed in Buffalo, as unlike at the Jets, we have the personel to apply preasure 1-on-1.

Also according to the article, Rex's blitz-crazy scheme is outdated and nigh obsolete in today's NFL.

Considering the concept that Rex couldn't see or get past his penchant for using his blitz-crazy scheme when it wasn't needed, is there any reason to believe that he will be able to see that it has become generally ineffective in today's NFL?

And furthering to that, when one considers that his reputation for successful and inovative defense is pretty much based upon a scheme that is now mostly obsolete, is there any reason to believe that without that defensive scheme (even if he can get past his predilection for using it) that Rex could be anything more than an average at best HC(or DC)?

add in that he tries to be both here and you get mediocrity at both.

The new football czar needs to make Rex stand at the white board and write 500 times

"I should not dismantle the top 5 defense from the previous year. I should not dismantle the top 5 defense from the previous year/"

Edited by stevewin

As I mentioned elsewhere, I don't Rex heavy-substitution schemes are right for fast-paced offenses, and through the luck of the draw 10 of the Bills 14 games this season have been against teams in the the top for offensive pacing. They often look ill-set and unprepared as a consequence. Simpler sometimes is better when facing that sort of offense.

Maybe Rex was also wrong to tell Whaley "just get me good football players"? It seems clear he needs players that he can fit into his system.

That is the case made by his defenders/most positive view

It's hard for the GM to properly support his coach if the coach won't be honest about what he needs

It's hard for the coach to be honest with the GM if he's just "won" the HC job interview and "sold" the media by telling his future employers "I'm not a scheme guy, just get me good football players"

"when comparing 2014 Schwartz to 2015 Rex the injury disparity is so drastic it can't and shouldn't be ignored"

oh there are plenty of "smart" football people who completely ignore it

It's not that, Cardinal.

It's look at the D the first few games when the injuries on D were minimal, the players presumably fresh, and the coaches had a long time to prepare.

Game 1 Colts: 304 yds

Game 2 NE: 507 yds

Game 3 Mia: 391 yds

That really set the tone for the D: inadequate QB pressure, inadequate coverage of the middle of the field, no answer for the quick release, no half time adjustments, sloppy undisciplined play, killer personal foul and unnecessary roughness penalties, including from the HC! The crappy challenge procedures started with season - if I recall correctly, Rex challenged an unchallengable play vs NE - yet apparently weren't addressed until halfway through the season. It's not just the yards, it's also how those yards were given up.

If the Bills had been killing it with an elite D when they had everyone, then fell off when they lost one two many key players, the injury bug would be seen differently. It would be seen as lack of depth, and a fault on the GM for improperly building the roster or keeping the wrong guys.

The point is the starters, starters who were pro-bowl all pro guys, were struggling in the D before injuries hit when essentially it's the same core that was #4 in the league on points and yds last year. So it's hard to argue "lack of depth, crappy roster" when last year's probowl guys weren't "bringing it" in this scheme, before injuries

I don't see how anyone can overlook that.

Edited by Hopeful

The irony is that last year, as the article noted, Buffalo's starters apparently lost only 13 games to injury. No one then talked about how their success was due to a lack of injuries.

Besides, if injuries are to blame for the 2015 season like we're told by the homers, that reflects poorly on the roster depth built by the personnel staff.

I can understand blaming injuries if your starting QB is a top player and he's lost for the season in week 2 or most of your offensive line goes down. But those things didn't happen in Buffalo this year. Regardless, some people conveniently people cite injuries when they don't want to admit the team was constructed poorly.

You don't think the loss of TT had an impact?

It's not that, Cardinal.

It's look at the D the first few games when the injuries on D were minimal, the players presumably fresh, and the coaches had a long time to prepare.

Game 1 Colts: 304 yds

Game 2 NE: 507 yds

Game 3 Mia: 391 yds

That really set the tone for the D: inadequate QB pressure, inadequate coverage of the middle of the field, no answer for the quick release, no half time adjustments, sloppy undisciplined play, killer personal foul and unnecessary roughness penalties, including from the HC! The crappy challenge procedures started with season - if I recall correctly, Rex challenged an unchallengable play vs NE - yet apparently weren't addressed until halfway through the season. It's not just the yards, it's also how those yards were given up.

If the Bills had been killing it with an elite D when they had everyone, then fell off when they lost one two many key players, the injury bug would be seen differently. It would be seen as lack of depth, and a fault on the GM for improperly building the roster or keeping the wrong guys.

The point is the starters, starters who were pro-bowl all pro guys, were struggling in the D before injuries hit when essentially it's the same core that was #4 in the league on points and yds last year. So it's hard to argue "lack of depth, crappy roster" when last year's probowl guys weren't "bringing it" in this scheme, before injuries

I don't see how anyone can overlook that.

Absolutely dead on. The first NE game was hugely alarming and, in retrospect, the truest indication that RR was dead wrong in his defensive approach. That he stubbornly refused to fundamentally alter what he was doing wrecked the season.

That is the case made by his defenders/most positive view

It's hard for the GM to properly support his coach if the coach won't be honest about what he needs

It's hard for the coach to be honest with the GM if he's just "won" the HC job interview and "sold" the media by telling his future employers "I'm not a scheme guy, just get me good football players"

A similar refrain, "insert DC coach here" can't succeed without really good players at "insert positions here", insinuating that Ryan and his system is the exception.

Chuck Knox called Buffalo the "coaches graveyard" and Bill Polian -Marv Levy came along and got themselves, and several players into the pro football hall of fame.

This is just one man's opinion, and viable in some issues, and not so much on others.

The most poignant point I can make is that Rex Ryan wasn't blitzing crazy at all this year and actually far, far from it because he was asking his defensive line defenders to cover two gaps. Does that make sense to ask a player paid 100 million dollars to rush the passer to control two gaps instead of rushing? Or overly drop into pass coverage as in a zone blitz system where you have great linebackers and average D-linemen.

Now this didn't happen all the time in every defensive play but it did happen more then the players themselves wanted or they wouldn't have been as publically vocal about it as they have been.

A team doesn't go from 1st in the NFL in sacks to near last at 30th with just overly controlling the gaps, and dropping defensive linemen into coverage. It does when you don't blitz often enough, and blitzing simply means sending more defenders than there are protecting. Rex Ryan was most noted for his "overload" where he was sending extra defenders at the QB to the tune of +50% of the defensive players.

I can sure as hell tell you that didn't happen this season except in one singular game and then didn't happen again since.

Read some of this twitter feed, and see if you think it's just a bad scheme, injuries or a multitude of problems with the defense. https://twitter.com/YardsPerPass

Some excerpts,

"You always see this... guys running around, not set, when the ball is snapped"

"Poor Rex, damn if he does call a blitz, damned if he doesn't. Next 3rd down, sends the house, nobody covers the out"

"Preston Brown says even the slowest offenses have been hurrying to the line because they knew the Bills defense has issues with play calls."

CW2InSBWsAAlXNN.jpg

Tom Coughlin of the NY Giants told his team before they played Buffalo to play smart and limit the penalties and let the Buffalo Bills beat themselves with penalties.

Buffalo 17 penalties for 135 yards and those gave the Giants 7 first downs on offense! Now this was in week four, fast forward to last week to week 15 against a close game to the Eagles and 15 penalties for 101 yards.

Remember the last game against the Redskins on the 4th down and one the Redskins where they line up, and sure enough, a Bills defender is called for a penalty. Thus giving the Redskins a first down by penalty.They then went on to score

This year this defense has been bad in so many facets and the most damning is taking that defensive line with superstars being paid 250 million and making them look below average.

Chuck Knox called Buffalo the "coaches graveyard" and Bill Polian -Marv Levy came along and got themselves, and several players into the pro football hall of fame.

This is just one man's opinion, and viable in some issues, and not so much on others.

The most poignant point I can make is that Rex Ryan wasn't blitzing crazy at all this year and actually far, far from it because he was asking his defensive line defenders to cover two gaps. Does that make sense to ask a player paid 100 million dollars to rush the passer to control two gaps instead of rushing? Or overly drop into pass coverage as in a zone blitz system where you have great linebackers and average D-linemen.

Now this didn't happen all the time in every defensive play but it did happen more then the players themselves wanted or they wouldn't have been as publically vocal about it as they have been.

A team doesn't go from 1st in the NFL in sacks to near last at 30th with just overly controlling the gaps, and dropping defensive linemen into coverage. It does when you don't blitz often enough, and blitzing simply means sending more defenders than there are protecting. Rex Ryan was most noted for his "overload" where he was sending extra defenders at the QB to the tune of +50% of the defensive players.

I can sure as hell tell you that didn't happen this season except in one singular game and then didn't happen again since.

Read some of this twitter feed, and see if you think it's just a bad scheme, injuries or a multitude of problems with the defense. https://twitter.com/YardsPerPass

Some excerpts,

"You always see this... guys running around, not set, when the ball is snapped"

"Poor Rex, damn if he does call a blitz, damned if he doesn't. Next 3rd down, sends the house, nobody covers the out"

"Preston Brown says even the slowest offenses have been hurrying to the line because they knew the Bills defense has issues with play calls."

CW2InSBWsAAlXNN.jpg

Tom Coughlin of the NY Giants told his team before they played Buffalo to play smart and limit the penalties and let the Buffalo Bills beat themselves with penalties.

Buffalo 17 penalties for 135 yards and those gave the Giants 7 first downs on offense! Now this was in week four, fast forward to last week to week 15 against a close game to the Eagles and 15 penalties for 101 yards.

Remember the last game against the Redskins on the 4th down and one the Redskins where they line up, and sure enough, a Bills defender is called for a penalty. Thus giving the Redskins a first down by penalty.They then went on to score

This year this defense has been bad in so many facets and the most damning is taking that defensive line with superstars being paid 250 million and making them look below average.

It's as if RR tried to stick his blockhead into his round a$$hole....

Absolutely dead on. The first NE game was hugely alarming and, in retrospect, the truest indication that RR was dead wrong in his defensive approach. That he stubbornly refused to fundamentally alter what he was doing wrecked the season.

Were you not happy with how the defense played in the rematch with NE?