Bills cannot go forward with Rex

Wiz

They can and will move forward with Rex. As it has been discussed many times here and elsewhere, he's not getting the boot after one season.

If Ralph owned the team stillI would 100 percent agree with you. Im not so sure with the Pegulas in charge. If We decide to go new GM is he going to want to hitch himself to Rex? I certainly wouldnt want to. Theres a lot of scenarios that could play out in the next few weeks. If I was Rex I would can Crossman and Thurman now. If not he may be a goner. Im condradicting myself because we just dont know how ownership will act in these situations. If its my decision im firing Rex regardless of what he does with his personnel.

Edited by billsfan_34

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wrex is basically challenging the players to play now or there will be changes. I think they give up on him and we lose in embarrasing fashion at home, especially against the Jets (he'll want that win bad). A significant portion of the fan base wants him gone. If he is not, for the first time in a long time I think you will see fans give up on the team, and take a literal "time out" for however long he is here. That will send a message to the Pegula's but unfortunately, with one more year with Ryan, the team will be a shell of it's former self and we'll be into multiple years of losing (again). Fans have put up with a lot, but there is a limit. I hope the Pegula's don't test that limit.

I don't see how Rex can escape responsibility for this fiasco. That defense was in the top 5 for two years under two different coordinators. The only change in personnel was to add a corner who is likely going to end up being the defensive rookie of the year. The offense is clearly better than it was last year and it looks like we finally have a QB we can win with. If I told you at the start of the season that Darby was going to be rookie of the year and that Tyrod was going to play as well as he has, you would have been dead certain that we would make the playoffs. The epic collapse of the defense can't be explained by blaming injuries or the players. This is Rex's doing, plain and simple. Yeah, it stinks having to fire yet another head coach and to have to start over yet again but there is no objective reason for believing that Rex is going to turn things around next year. None.

If Ralph owned the team stillI would 100 percent agree with you. Im not so sure with the Pegulas in charge. If We decide to go new GM is he going to want to hitch himself to Rex? I certainly wouldnt want to. Theres a lot of scenarios that could play out in the next few weeks. If I was Rex I would can Crossman and Thurman now. If not he may be a goner. Im condradicting myself because we just dont know how ownership will act in these situations. If its my decision im firing Rex regardless of what he does with his personnel.

Rex will be back and so will Thurman. Crossman could be gone because he's not a true Rex guy.

Pegula does not want to look like a fool paying a coach $27.5 million for 1 year.

That's it. I don't think it's the money. $27 million sounds like a lot, but it's not in the context of the mega salaries in the NFL.

No, it's the ego. Pegula is a new owner and doesn't want to look like a panicky novice, so he'll be inclined to go forward with the Idiot. But that is a mistake. Next year will be even worse, which makes firing the Idiot easier but doesn't do a lot for the team or its fans. What is truly awful is that Pegula probably knows this perfectly well, and he will likely go forward with the plan anyway.

Another poster made a good call: To save face, Pegula needs this team and its fans to completely lose it: open rebellion against the Idiot. Only then can he say, "Hey, it's out of my hands."

How do they get to be billionaires?

Here's the thing, Rex was hired to boost this defense and he has taken a top flight D and turned it into a freaking mess. Rex is all about Rex and he will always put himself first before anything. He gets way too much credit for his first couple of years with the Jets for a roster that was Eric Mangini's. He's garbage just like his brother is.

Rex should be fired, but probably won't be. I'm holding out hope that the Bills continue the sprint for the bus, and finish 6-10 by losing in humiliating fashion at home to both the 'girls and the Jest. Then maybe, just maybe, we can correct the Rex Ryan mistake before we get to 17 and counting. But BC is right (so I'm not betting you), the continuity faction will probably win, which means we don't make the playoffs next year. Sigh. It sucks when you know this thing should be blown up, but you can't because of money and continuity.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

Hot-take meter: Knee-jerk reaction or legit point?

Are Brock Osweiler and the Broncos at risk of losing the AFC West crown? Is Rex Ryan just a bad fit in Buffalo? Is Kirk Cousins a franchise QB? Adam Schein judges widespread takeaways from Week 15

9) The Bills should admit their mistake and fire Rex Ryan.

Also legit.

First guess. I've said it many, many times: Rex Ryan is not a good head coach. The long-suffering Bills fans and the Pegulas got duped by the shtick. It's rather sad. More empty promises, more penalties, and a defense that has completely fallen apart and regressed under the watchful eye of a purported "defensive genius."

And to think, the other option was to hire Hue Jackson and retain Jim Schwartz as the defensive coordinator. But Rex equaled buzz. I feel for the Bills Mafia. They deserve so much better.

Rex should be fired, but probably won't be. I'm holding out hope that the Bills continue the sprint for the bus, and finish 6-10 by losing in humiliating fashion at home to both the 'girls and the Jest. Then maybe, just maybe, we can correct the Rex Ryan mistake before we get to 17 and counting. But BC is right (so I'm not betting you), the continuity faction will probably win, which means we don't make the playoffs next year. Sigh. It sucks when you know this thing should be blown up, but you can't because of money and continuity.

This is so dead on - and depressing.

This is a worse situation than we've had in the past. If Rex stays, the Bills will lose all their FAs. No one particularly on defense will want to play for him, and they'll take good offers to go to teams that can make the playoffs. C-ya, Gilmore. Glenn and Incognito will be gone as well, and the progress made this year on the offensive line will be lost. The Bills are headed to an absolute disaster next year if Ryan stays. When Marrone left, it was sort of the same old thing we've seen before, but we've never had players itching to get out of town because of a coach before.

This is a a franchise-saving or franchise-killing decision point. If the Bills let Ryan stick around and try to rebuild the defense his way, the outflow of good players when their rookie contracts expire will never allow them to restock. They will hit rock bottom next year, with no O line, no defense, McCoy getting old without anyone to block for him, Watkins getting hurt, Taylor running for his life. The Bills will draft high in 2017, possibly first overall, and might then get the QB they want, who will be ready in about 2020 to lead them, but there won't be a team around him.

The alternative is to can Ryan, preferably now but more likely at the end of the season, and to bring in a coach who doesn't want to fix things that ain't broken. Hire Schwartz as defensive coordinator. Magically the Bills good players will decide to re-sign, and the team can move ahead. We can either sink with Ryan, who will get canned in a couple of years, or can Ryan now, and rescue the situation.

Ryan gets paid that $27M if he doesn't get another job, but there's a sucker born every minute, and an NFL owner willing to hire a marquee coach for advertising reasons will swallow the same bait the Pegulas did. So I don't think the full $27M will be lost. And $27M is peanuts compared to the agony of watching their $1B+ investment go down the tubes.

Edited by Utah John

I don't see how the Bills can keep Rex because of the following:

1-Rex over-promised and under-performed badly.

2-He has undoubtedly lost the defensive personnel. Right or wrong(I believe they're right), they don't believe in his scheme. Don't think that Mario is speaking only for himself.

3-They'll have to re-tool the defensive personnel to suit Rex's scheme while a different coach took the very same players and made them one of the best in the league last year. Makes no sense.

4-Rex has lost the fans. Regardless of how much they will have to pay Rex to go away, by keeping him there will be very few kool-aid drinkers/season ticket buyers. I know I've been a Jim Jones follower season after season and am feeling like a fool.

yes they can, it's called 4 ,more years 20M owed. Pegula's not gonna eat that much

Sad but this is the Buffalo way. They'll keep Rex because of his contract. He'll destroy this roster in the process trying to get players to fit his scheme. We will lose again next year because his tactics and schemes are no good. Then he will be fired and our roster will be garbage. Then we rebuild again.

If there is any way possible, we need to fire Rex at the end of this year and try to find a coach who can keep and work with the current roster.