Report: Mario Could Be Gone- NFL.com

Did you ever wonder why the defense looked better with Carrington subbing in for Mario?

how much truth there is in that generalization, is arguable.. but i get your point. the thing is, Williams is being paid alot of money because of his potential to wreck plays. any scheme that compromises his opportunity to do that is not using him well. i get it.. Mario wants to play his way, and the coaches have other things in mind. it hasn't been a good fit this season.

but my issue is with how much of this is going on within the entire unit, and whether any of these required transformations were ever discussed with the Pegulas during the hiring process. all we as fans heard, was how the D would improve. was this all the owners had to hear? if they were on board with what Rex needed to make his improvements, then i suppose they were ok in using this season to weed out the players who couldn't or wouldn't conform. i think it's more believable that Rex's failure to implement a D that was at least as effective as last season's, was as much of a surprise to them, as it was to us.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how much truth there is in that generalization, is arguable.. but i get your point. the thing is, Williams is being paid alot of money because of his potential to wreck plays. any scheme that compromises his opportunity to do that is not using him well. i get it.. Mario wants to play his way, and the coaches have other things in mind. it hasn't been a good fit this season.

but my issue is with how much of this is going on within the entire unit, and whether any of these required transformations were ever discussed with the Pegulas during the hiring process. all we as fans heard, was how the D would improve. was this all the owners had to hear? if they were on board with what Rex needed to make his improvements, then i suppose they were ok in using this season to weed out the players who couldn't or wouldn't conform. i think it's more believable that Rex's failure to implement a D that was at least as effective as last season's, was as much of a surprise to them, as it was to us.

Why don't you take a second and imagine a world in which it's not the scheme preventing Mario from wrecking plays but Mario himself.

This assumption that Rex is oblivious or woefully ignorant to Mario's ability to disrupt a play is--to put it lightly--a leap.

You won't because you don't know. You just scream "one on one matchups!!!" as if that's his only job. News flash BC, that's not his only job anymore.

Name the last coach you didn't defend to the bitter end?

He is TERRIBLE this year. He has 13 tackles. 13. Let that sink in. He does not play to the whistle. He does not use a wide repertoire of moves when he's pass rushing. He has barely gotten any pressure at all the entire season. He appears to not care on a play-to-play basis. And he consistently whines to the press yet takes no responsibility for his own performance.

As GG said, Mario is all about Mario.

Whether Rex is a good coach or not isn't really all that relevant here. Has the system worked this year? Clearly not. But plenty of DEs have had a lot of success in his schemes over the last decade, and he's had numerous top five finishes in both yards and points in the last decade (4 times, to be exact).

I now agree with Badol that the real problem with this scheme for this defense is that it is populated by low-IQ knuckle draggers. Mario is one of them. This defense, if it is ever to work, needs smarter players like David Harris.

Edited by dave mcbride

Did you listen to Rex's postgame comments?

“I know one thing, I’m going to fight,” Ryan said of those final two meaningless games. “Everyone should feel the way I do. I have something to prove … that’s the way I approach it. If we want this organization to compete, then you step up and show what you’re made of.” I've heard enough from him for now. Rinse wash and repeat. He's a broken record. Speaking of records...0-16 for the playoffs.

“I know one thing, I’m going to fight,” Ryan said of those final two meaningless games. “Everyone should feel the way I do. I have something to prove … that’s the way I approach it. If we want this organization to compete, then you step up and show what you’re made of.” I've heard enough from him for now. Rinse wash and repeat. He's a broken record. Speaking of records...0-16 for the playoffs.

#8 all time in NFL history for longest postseason-less stretch

Plus he sounded like a bully who got punched in the face and didn't know what to do about it. He looked beat down and pathetic. Usually a dose of humility is a good thing for people. I HOPE THIS RINGS TRUE FOR REX. We are stuck with him.

#8 all time in NFL history for longest postseason-less stretch

... and climbing.

Why don't you take a second and imagine a world in which it's not the scheme preventing Mario from wrecking plays but Mario himself.

This assumption that Rex is oblivious or woefully ignorant to Mario's ability to disrupt a play is--to put it lightly--a leap.

so your assertion is that Williams has made a conscious decision not to play hard? okay.

as far as your other statement.. i didn't make any assumptions about Rex's knowledge of Mario's strengths and weaknesses.. he knows why he was given a big contract, but he miscalculated Williams effectiveness in a system that took him away from his comfort level.

so your assertion is that Williams has made a conscious decision not to play hard? okay.

as far as your other statement.. i didn't make any assumptions about Rex's knowledge of Mario's strengths and weaknesses.. he knows why he was given a big contract, but he miscalculated Williams effectiveness in a system that took him away from his comfort level.

He did not play hard at all yesterday once a play was either past him or in a different part of the field. I focused on him on every snap, and he stopped playing midway through each play in which the play was away from him. I presume he was conscious about his actions.

you're being too nice. He misused Kyle Williams, Marcel, Bradham, Preston and Mario. That's a lot of miscalculating.

He did not play hard at all yesterday once a play was either past him or in a different part of the field. I focused on him on every snap, and he stopped playing midway through each play in which the play was away from him. I presume he was conscious about his actions.

Go back and watch the other guys out there. Again, my point was some on this board found this year's whipping boy, when there is plenty of blame to go around if some want to find 1 player to blame and not Rex. That's all my point was.

i have no problem with what he said.. he's calling guys out, and i'm sure Mario is one of them.. the problem is, that Rex and his staff don't have a D unit that can consistently execute their system. it's still as wanting as it was in the Steelers pre-season game. maybe it's as simple as what DM states above - we're just not smart enough to implement it.. but again.. who knew this new D was going to demand so many things to work correctly?

Go back and watch the other guys out there. Again, my point was some on this board found this year's whipping boy, when there is plenty of blame to go around if some want to find 1 player to blame and not Rex. That's all my point was.

I did. Many continued to pursue once the play was away from them. Bryant certainly did, as did Hughes, who plays very hard.

okay.. and i understand how pissed that gets fans, especially because of the money involved. but as Dopey (no offense, man - you chose that! :rolleyes: ) pointed out - Mario wasn't alone in that. he should play with more pride, but when the efforts there, and you're still ineffective because you're making bad decisions, or missing assignments - players get frustrated. quitting is no way to handle that, but if that's how the guy reacts, either bench him, or change his responsibilities

I did. Many continued to pursue once the play was away from them. Bryant certainly did, as did Hughes, who plays very hard.

Dave, I'm with you on this. Many did play hard. You didn't say all the others did. I just feel 1 person shouldn't be used as a scapegoat/whipping boy, or whatever we call it. But if we are going to find 1 person, Mario is not the one, it's the person who somehow turned this d around 180 degrees, and not in a good way. JMO.

okay.. and i understand how pissed that gets fans, especially because of the money involved. but as Dopey (no offense, man - you chose that! :rolleyes: ) pointed out - Mario wasn't alone in that. he should play with more pride, but when the efforts there, and you're still ineffective because you're making bad decisions, or missing assignments - players get frustrated. quitting is no way to handle that, but if that's how the guy reacts, either bench him, or change his responsibilities

(no offense, man - you chose that!

:D I've done some dopey things and posted dopey comments in my time. All good.

Edited by Dopey

Dave, I'm with you on this. Many did play hard. You didn't say all the others did. I just feel 1 person shouldn't be used as a scapegoat/whipping boy, or whatever we call it. But if we are going to find 1 person, Mario is not the one, it's the person who somehow turned this d around 180 degrees, and not in a good way. JMO.

(no offense, man - you chose that!

:beer:

I'm not letting Ryan off the hook, but at the same time Williams is the biggest, highest profile FA signing in team history. It's incumbent on him to play with some pride and do his best. He IS different from other players in that sense. I hold him to a high standard.

I'm not letting Ryan off the hook, but at the same time Williams is the biggest, highest profile FA signing in team history. It's incumbent on him to play with some pride and do his best. He IS different from other players in that sense. I hold him to a high standard.

:thumbsup:

It doesn't matter if he is angry with the defense of scheme, if he is not able to buy into the system, he needs to go.The player's role is to execute the coaches' strategy, not the other way around.

True to a certain extent. A great coach will scheme around his player's strength and adapt. Rex isn't doing that