Christmas Eve Traditions

BringBackFergy

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey I have 10 days to fill.

head down to your local PO and send a cured meat sampler to the person you know who most embodies the Christmas spirit. (Since you're already there you can also send me some)

OK, but I need to clear it through Beerball first.

I hope you're holding your breath.

<Private Message to Chef Jim> Liver pate done tonight. Fresh thyme was nice...blended in well with chicken livers, 1/4 cup minced onion, sherry, cream, softened butter, salt/pepper and mace (saw recipe that called for 1/8 tsp mace so what the heck). Made 2 small crocks of it but no clarified butter so I wrapped it good in Saran wrap and then foil. Refrigerated now but the tsp of it I had was nice. Wife bought soda crackers and I made some toasted baguette slices with oil and basil. <end Private Message>

<Private Message to Chef Jim> Liver pate done tonight. Fresh thyme was nice...blended in well with chicken livers, 1/4 cup minced onion, sherry, cream, softened butter, salt/pepper and mace (saw recipe that called for 1/8 tsp mace so what the heck). Made 2 small crocks of it but no clarified butter so I wrapped it good in Saran wrap and then foil. Refrigerated now but the tsp of it I had was nice. Wife bought soda crackers and I made some toasted baguette slices with oil and basil. <end Private Message>

Try fresh nutmeg next time. Mace can be a bit overpowering.

We have all the family and friends over to our house for homemade Meatball or Sausage subs. Homemade bread makes the meal. an old family recipe we were given. We do the gifts, if their are any, so that the family can do their own thing on Christmas day. We have nerf gun fight with the children, plenty of adult beverages for the "adults". we reminisce about the past year, etc, etc....top it off with its a wonderful life before bed. In the past, the movie was on while we put the gifts under the tree. now, no gifts...

As for the prime rib, i have done several. I even bought a whole rib yesterday. I always put mine on the smoker. I love the smokiness of the final result. Keep the rub simple, salt, black pepper, garlic, and onion. I smoke it low and slow at 225. Definitely use the two probe remote sensor to monitor your temps. I prefer the Low and slow method because that is the only way to get a uniform level of color throughout the meat. I want it rare to medium rare depending on guests preferences. hot and fast gives you a gray, well done outer ring leading in to a red warm center. not what i prefer, but you may. The ONLY downside to smoking it, i dont like the Aus jus because it is too smoky. So we make one from a beef base instead of from drippings. What i need to do is learn to make aus jus from the bones after i smoke, see how that comes out.....

Good luck! And dont be afraid. its easy. only way to screw it up really is to burn it.....

Merry Christmas everybody!

I got a question for you. I am thinking about trying one for New Years Eve. I am having 8 people including myself & wife over. How big of one should I get. Also I have a smoker but it is in the back of my shed & I don't feel like pulling it out. Would it be alright if I put it on the grill & just turn one side of the burners on & leave it on the other dside to slow cook? Any advice would be appreciated as I never did one before. Thanks.

I got a question for you. I am thinking about trying one for New Years Eve. I am having 8 people including myself & wife over. How big of one should I get. Also I have a smoker but it is in the back of my shed & I don't feel like pulling it out. Would it be alright if I put it on the grill & just turn one side of the burners on & leave it on the other dside to slow cook? Any advice would be appreciated as I never did one before. Thanks.

I'll chime in...perfectly fine to cook it indirectly as you describe, but turn the roast at least once during the process. If you want the smoke flavor use a chip box, or make your own...soak chips in water for at least an hour, get a sheet if foil, wrap up the chips and poke a few holes in it and you're good to go. (Put a drip pan under the roast to catch the juices which will aid cleanup and allow you to still do a Yorkshire pudding.)

I'll chime in...perfectly fine to cook it indirectly as you describe, but turn the roast at least once during the process. If you want the smoke flavor use a chip box, or make your own...soak chips in water for at least an hour, get a sheet if foil, wrap up the chips and poke a few holes in it and you're good to go. (Put a drip pan under the roast to catch the juices which will aid cleanup and allow you to still do a Yorkshire pudding.)

Plagiarist.

Two things to note

1) Traditions...one has gone away...the Christmas Eve trip to the mall. Its 4 AM day before Christmas Eve, just got wife something she wanted, deliverd to SC, on Christmas Eve. I know we have a per peeves thread, we need a Holy Chit, thi is Awesome thread.

2) soaking chips/chunks DOES NOT WORK

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_soaking_wood.html

BTW, best site in the world for all things BBQ and Grilling

Well, the size of the roast depends on whether you wants leftovers? I always smoke way more than i should so i can eat leftovers for a few days. If you have 8 people coming over, then a three bone roast should be more than enough. Get the small end when you buy. just ask the butcher for a 3 bone standing rib roast, small end. it will probably be 6-8 lbs and still have the bone-in.

Now, for leftovers, i shave the roast as thin as i can on my slicer, and my wife makes a parmesan crusted sourdough french dip that is out of this world!!!!

Called the grocery store and ordered our Christmas goose. I went to pick it up and the guy (kid actually) at the butcher counter said his boss said they don't do that and should never have offered it to us. He was apologetic and I could tell he felt bad and I let it go. I figured his boss have him enough ****. So needless to say we'll be doing roast duck on Friday. :D