Christmas Eve Traditions

BringBackFergy

My dream would be to make a prime rib roast. But it seems too daunting and too expensive to screw up.

We're doing prime rib for Christmas dinner this year for the first time in several years.

Wifey usually makes Beef Wellington, but we're having the same guests over this year for dinner that we did last year, so we're changing up things a bit.

I'll duck Chef's cleaver he's going to toss at me for this, but here goes:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/12/how-to-make-perfect-prime-rib-for-christmas-dinner.html

That's a decent source. There are others. The Intarwebs is your friend.

This is a cardinal rule: DO NOT cook the meat at a high temperature, and don't sear it first either. Cook it at 200 degrees F.

Don't worry about browning the outside, you do that at the end after the meat gets to about 115 - 120 degrees.

And don't forget to make the Yorkshire Pudding either!

Now excuse me while I duck.

20141208-prime-rib-guide-04.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're doing prime rib for Christmas dinner this year for the first time in several years.

Wifey usually makes Beef Wellington, but we're having the same guests over this year for dinner that we did last year, so we're changing up things a bit.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/12/how-to-make-perfect-prime-rib-for-christmas-dinner.html

This is a cardinal rule: DO NOT cook the meat at a high temperature, and don't sear it first either. Cook it at 200 degrees F.

Don't worry about browning the outside, you do that at the end after the meat gets to about 115 - 120 degrees.

What time should we be over?

Mmmmm Yorkshire Puddings.

Those can be pretty tough to get right. My mother-in-law makes the best ones, she's English though and doesn't measure, just knows when it's right. Biggest thing I've taken away is after you've mixed the ingredients, the batter needs to sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour.

Out of curiosity, what is the size and cost of the prime rib roasts you guys are getting?

How many people? I think they count the ribs in the portion ratio. IIRC 3 ribs for 4 to 5 people. Typically I spend about $50 for 4 people. I saw a larger one for $80 yesterday.

Edited by NOVABillsFan

Too early to start a tradition since my daughter isnt old enough yet and my son isnt born yet but my hope is the following...

Turkey dinner followed by baking cookies and then all sitting and watching Christmas movies with the tree being the only light

CBF

Do they have Christmas in Canada? I figured you guys just play pond hockey all night and drink beer.

Do they have Christmas in Canada? I figured you guys just play pond hockey all night and drink beer.

It's probably a different day, that Canadian Christmas. Like Canada Day is before July 4th, and Canadian Thanksgiving is in October. Maybe Canadian Christmas is today?

It's probably a different day, that Canadian Christmas. Like Canada Day is before July 4th, and Canadian Thanksgiving is in October. Maybe Canadian Christmas is today?

Yeah...I guess you have to apply a .2309 discount rate so that would make today Christmas in Canada....Merry Christmas CBF!!!!