Christmas Eve Traditions

BringBackFergy

So what do you guys (and gals) do each year on Christmas Eve? Here's our normal plan:

* Buy the shrimp, make the cocktail sauce, sliced lemon wedges, keep them ice cold in fridge

* Wife makes liver sausage dip, party pizzas (cocktail rye with pimento, mayo, etc.)

* Bacon wrapped water chestnuts with sweet sauce

* Extra sharp cheddar, pepperoni, crackers

* Russian rye with spinach dip in the middle

* IPA assortment, Manhattans, red wine

* Thinking of making chicken liver pate' again this year. One of my favorites.

Go to Mass at 5pm

The only presents opened on Christmas Eve are from my folks.

Get home, and start snacking (the five of us), usually some other family members stop by for snacks and drinks.

(Big Meal is saved for Christmas Day....I just stopped at the grocer store and bought a nice looking prime rib roast. Never made one before but I think this is the year).

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For dinner - Prime Rib Roast, cooked rare

Deserts - apple, pumpkin and chocolate pie, oh and cookies

Kids grown up so gifts can wait 12 hours so unless guests are there but not the next gifts are exchanged.

Christmas day; breakfast prime rib and eggs, dinner is either Trudey or Ham and of course whats left of the pies and cookies

Entertainment varies on location. Football, card games, or video games

My brother and I are moved out, but we still do the same things that we have always done for Christmas.

On Christmas eve, we go to the mall in the morning, and do last minute panic shopping as a family.

In the evening, we get a late dinner of Chinese takeout from the same place we always have. Then, when we're ready to go to bed I read "A Visit from St Nicholas" from a brilliantly illustrated hardcover copy. Even though we are both well into our twenties, my brother and i giggle at the funny words like breast, jerk, and threw up, as is tradition.

Then on Christmas morning we get up, open our gifts, and watch the Comeback game. That tradition started when I bought the DVD for my father seven years ago.

Go to my uncle's house after church. The drinking starts, and at some point every year, I'll wait till a lot of people are engaged in conversation together and I'll bring up a political topic to my uncle that I know he feels strongly about. I'll say a couple things to really get him going, and then excuse myself to go do something (i.e. take a call, go to bathroom) and leave the rest of my family there to listen to him rant ad nauseum. :D It's my favorite tradition. My sister told everyone after last year's rant that I do it on purpose, so we'll see how it goes this year.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

My dream would be to make a prime rib roast. But it seems too daunting and too expensive to screw up.

I'll tell you how it goes...or we can ask NOVA above. :)

Christmas movie marathon: The Ref, followed by Die Hard.

Die Hard...one of my favs. Good call. I may have to pop that in after we watch "Christmas Story" for the 58th time.

I have never done a prime rib Will have to try this winter.

We do a goose every year for Christmas. We're doing the prime rib for New Years for the first time.

Christmas Eve it's just the two of us. I put out a big spread of food. This year's menu so far:

Homemade cured meats (soppressata, lonza, bresaola, chicken liver mousse, pate campange)

Assorted cheeses (including homemade Camembert)

Home cured salmon

Shrimp or lobster (not sure yet which one)

Champagne for the wife

Sparkling Cider for me :cry: